McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/4" Oregon chain

Speaking of PM 6 saws, I'm looking at another bar for one of my PM's and was wondering if I'm reading this correctly. This is right off customchainsawparts auction:

"THIS BAR IS 12 inch .050 1/4 ROLLER NOSE NOSE FITS 6.4MM STUDS"

To me this is a PM6, 12" bar, .050 gauge 1/4 pitch. I just wanted to verify the 1/4 pitch, as I've never heard of a 1/4 roller nose, but hey, I hate assuming and becoming an ass. Would i be correct? Oregon bar # 23147.

Sorry, now i have to vent a bit......

I asked/sent a ebay question, him, "Am I correct to assume this is a .050 gauge, 1/4" pitch chain, saw bar?" and received a somewhat snobby answer of:

"Here is what the listing says:
The mount is designed to fit MCCULLOCH Chain Saw Models
OREGON BAR 23147
THIS BAR IS 12 inch .050 1/4 ROLLER NOSE NOSE FITS 6.4MM STUDS Thank you for looking.
THE BOX # IS OUR LOCATION OF THE PART FOR OUR EMPLOYEES THAT PULL THE PART AND PACK. IT IS NOT A PART NUMBER."

What gives? The worst part is the price of the bars are nice, and i prefer using 1/4" chain with those saws (probably the only one in the world who does) and finding 1/4" pitch chain for a PM6 is tough.

think I'm reading this correctly?:confused:

And sorry for the vent

bob

I have several feet of 1/4" Oregon chain. Some regular chain and some what they call skip tooth. It has two plain straps between each tooth instead of one. Price with one strap is 30 cents per drive and the one with two straps is 25 cents per drive. I also have one Oregon bar 14" inch 140-SXEA-018 for $17.00. All prices plus shippping. the 5 digit number you quote sounds like it could be an older Oregon number. I will check my old Oregon books sometime.
[email protected] chainsawlady

125 air box labels

Doors anyone know of sp125 air box labels that are currently available?

Or, does have an extra one from the eBay seller that has them in the past?

Doors anyone know of sp125 air box labels that are currently available?

Or, does have an extra one from the eBay seller that has them in the past?

If anybody's making them, it's probably Joe from Sugar Creek Supply.

You'll find him on the House of Homelite site.

Good luck!

Shea, you can visit the 2 man saw thread.. (sticky) And I would recommend a PM to member ChrisBiker. He has made the diaphragms for the ol Macs. I found one out of a Outboard shop somewhere up north.

I have several feet of 1/4" Oregon chain. Some regular chain and some what they call skip tooth. It has two plain straps between each tooth instead of one. Price with one strap is 30 cents per drive and the one with two straps is 25 cents per drive. I also have one Oregon bar 14" inch 140-SXEA-018 for $17.00. All prices plus shippping. the 5 digit number you quote sounds like it could be an older Oregon number. I will check my old Oregon books sometime.
[email protected] chainsawlady

Thanks, but I have plenty of chain, both new loops and about 15-20 feet worth. My issue was the sprocket nose bar, which i took a chance on buying. I cannot think of anything else that would be 1/4, except the chain and the bar slot. So, we will see what happens.

Thanks for the offer, bob

I have an old 380 front tank saw that needs a fuel tank. I thought I read somewhere on here that the 380a was a auto oil saw. Mine is not a auto oil. What I want to do is hopefully find a fuel tank with the auto oiler. Has anyone done this? Also does anyone have a tank? Thanks. Bill

I have an old 380 front tank saw that needs a fuel tank. I thought I read somewhere on here that the 380a was a auto oil saw. Mine is not a auto oil. What I want to do is hopefully find a fuel tank with the auto oiler. Has anyone done this? Also does anyone have a tank? Thanks. Bill

I'll check for you. It will be tomorrow though until I get back with you.

Do any of you guys have any literature on the Mac 640? Acres says its a 80cc, is that correct?

A 640 is 87cc Joey. Shares an engine with the 440 direct drive saw. In the 1965 SM Supplement there's model info in the first couple pages, and charts with specifications in the back. The true displacement of some of the models that are incorrectly described on Acres site (such as the 640 and 450) can be seen in these charts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n3663xvh9ussii5

A 640 is 87cc Joey. Shares an engine with the 440 direct drive saw. In the 1965 SM Supplement there's model info in the first couple pages, and charts with specifications in the back. The true displacement of some of the models that are incorrectly described on Acres site (such as the 640 and 450) can be seen in these charts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n3663xvh9ussii5

I always thought the 640 was 87cc until someone told me different. That is why I was asking just to make sure. That Info you sent shows the 640 as 80cc. I guess I've been wrong all this time.

Thanks for the info.

I always thought the 640 was 87cc until someone told me different. That is why I was asking just to make sure. That Info you sent shows the 640 as 80cc. I guess I've been wrong all this time.

Thanks for the info.

Crap you're right. I'd always believed that the 640 was 87cc and was just the gear drive version of an 87cc 440. When I sent you the SM Sup I didn't even see in the chart that they state that it has a 1.375" stroke and is a 4.9ci saw until you mentioned it just now. Wonder if that's an error in their chart. Now I need to check the IPL's to see if the 640 crank has the 1.5" stroke part number or the 1.375" stroke part number. I have seen errors in Mac publications before. I have one that has the typed specifications 'shifted' down one 'spot'. Has 1.5" for the displacement (rather than stroke length) for a saw, along with other errors. Then there's the 797 IPL I have that has NO part numbers (only illustrations, descriptions, and index numbers). BRB. Checking the IPL's now...

The 640's crank part number doesn't match any of the direct drive saw crankshaft part numbers (whether 80cc/4.9ci or 87cc/5.3ci) in the IPL's that I checked. Also doesn't match the crank for the 650/660 gear drives (which ARE 87cc.5.3ci). I only found one match for the 640 crank part number, and that was for the 1-60 series 80cc gear drive saws (such as the 1-62). Looks like the 640 is in fact 'only' 80cc/4.9ci.

I checked three different 640 IPL's (1963, 1964, and 1968) along with several other gear drive and direct drive saw IPL's. I could have sworn that I've seen pics of 640 crancase bottoms showing both 440 and 640 stamped onto them....:msp_confused:

I'm still not convinced. I think the 640 owners should measure stroke and tell us for sure. I think the same way as you, I thought my 640 had both 440 & 640 stamped on it.

Back