McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen or heard of a McCulloch 400?
On the bottom of my 450 its stamped 400-450
Did they make them?
A guy on another site was asking about it. His saw has the same stamping on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm still not convinced. I think the 640 owners should measure stroke and tell us for sure. I think the same way as you, I thought my 640 had both 440 & 640 stamped on it.

I know it's not the saw pictures but these were from Mac sale literature. The first is from the 1965 sales brochure. The next two are the front and back from the Mac 440 sales sheet. The 1965 brochure shows the 450 & 640, as being different in both bore and stroke. The 440 & 450 have the same B&S.

bob

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Really clean saw Cliff, you are the Man!!

I had one of those moments today. I braved the storm to make a hardware store run, being a homeowner now, they know me by my first name. Anyway, I sorting through molly bolts and I hear someone asking about the yellow Ranchero, crap I'm thinking, left the lights on again.
Well no, a young man spotted old yellow and whipped by to look at it, saw the magnetic sign with my avatar on it and rushed in to find me.
His name is Scott, 19 years old, treated me like I was a minor god, made me laugh. We had to go out in the whipping rain to look at his chainsaw. It was a nearly new PM650, he had to start it and show it off, he strutted like a Banty rooster. He is a lurker here, not a member yet.
This makes the 4th time I was recognized by a stranger, the weirdest time was at SFO, made wish I was armed.

Really clean saw Cliff, you are the Man!!

I had one of those moments today. I braved the storm to make a hardware store run, being a homeowner now, they know me by my first name. Anyway, I sorting through molly bolts and I hear someone asking about the yellow Ranchero, crap I'm thinking, left the lights on again.
Well no, a young man spotted old yellow and whipped by to look at it, saw the magnetic sign with my avatar on it and rushed in to find me.
His name is Scott, 19 years old, treated me like I was a minor god, made me laugh. We had to go out in the whipping rain to look at his chainsaw. It was a nearly new PM650, he had to start it and show it off, he strutted like a Banty rooster. He is a lurker here, not a member yet.
This makes the 4th time I was recognized by a stranger, the weirdest time was at SFO, made wish I was armed.

Celebrity...ain't it a #####?

I know it's not the saw pictures but these were from Mac sale literature. The first is from the 1965 sales brochure. The next two are the front and back from the Mac 440 sales sheet. The 1965 brochure shows the 450 & 640, as being different in both bore and stroke. The 440 & 450 have the same B&S.

bob

All that being said in my first post, I noticed in Mac's "Cylinders, Piston Assemblies and Ring Sets" publication, dated 1973, the cylinder dimensions are slightly different yet. Thank you McCulloch.......:dizzy:

bob

attachment.php

attachment.php

sp125

My tank on my sp125 leaks at the seams. A friend of mine suggested putting 30 in of vacuum on the tank with a a/c vacuum pump. Put 3m scotch bond 800 sealant (witch adheres to aluminum and is gas resistant) around the seam and let the vacuum pull it in the cracks. Thoughts?

My tank on my sp125 leaks at the seams. A friend of mine suggested putting 30 in of vacuum on the tank with a a/c vacuum pump. Put 3m scotch bond 800 sealant (witch adheres to aluminum and is gas resistant) around the seam and let the vacuum pull it in the cracks. Thoughts?

That sounds like a good suggestion. Perhaps you could even pull JB weld or some other fuel resistant epoxy into the cracks?

Joey sealed a tank using 3M foam tape used for affixing car body emblems. Works great ... he sold that saw to me and I haven't seen a drop yet. You can find his photos and steps ealier in this thread. Good luck!

Joey sealed a tank using 3M foam tape used for affixing car body emblems. Works great ... he sold that saw to me and I haven't seen a drop yet. You can find his photos and steps earlier in this thread. Good luck!

The issue with the 125 tanks is that it is just about impossible to separate the two halves.

640 is 80 cc 2.125 x 1.375

440 is 87 cc 2.125 x 1.500

450 is 90 cc 2.165 x 1.500

The tape treatment works on split tanks, the CP125, and SP105/125 tanks are sealed units and cannot be easily disassembled to apply the sealer. Pulling a vacuum and adding something from the outside, or cleaning the tank and applying a seal from the inside (POR 15, Red Kote, etc.) are the only options.

Mark

The issue with the 125 tanks is that it is just about impossible to separate the two halves.

That was my thoughts ( my friend's too). That's why he suggested vacuum on it and try to pull a sealant into it. I was just wondering if anyone had done this? I do not know which would be more suited to this application jb weld or the 3m scotch bond or which would hold up better. Personally I have always had good results with 3m products.

Back