McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Stihl, I just saw a trailer for a new "Texas Chainsaw" movie. The star of the movie is orange and white!

What's this world coming to?

If those numbers are accurate, a DE80 is more powerful than a Stihl 660. Note the difference between a PM700 and a DE80 - I can attest in my experience that the difference between a PM700 and a PM800 is much greater than the displacement difference would indicate. My PM800s also guzzle fuel disproportionately to any of my saws. These numbers also put the PM700 in the same range as a Stihl 362. Based upon my experience with an 036Pro, I would tend to agree although the PM700 has a lot more torque. Ron

I am curious, what 5 cube saw is it? The brochure has DE80, PM800 and a PM850S. The saw in the picture is a DE80, so what saw would you be buying? Or is it pot-luck?

bob

I spent some time today moving some shelves around and reorganizing some saws and related items in the shop.

Top shelf is all of the -10 models (R-L: 1-10, 2-10, 3-10DSP, 3-10E, 4-10, 5-10, 5-10E, 6-10, fake 7-10, 10-10E, then several different versions of the 10-10 models.

Next shelf down is (R-L: 10-10S, 10-10S Special Edition, Pro Mac 55, Pro Mac 555, Pro Mac 60, Pro Mac 700, some miscellaneous chain, wood cutters kit, 610, Eager Beaver, SE3420).

Middle shelf is more chain then (R-L: 510, Pro Mac 430, Double Eagle 50, Titan 57, Pro Mac 570).

4th shelf down; more chain, (R-L: SP80, SP81, SP81E, Pro Mac 850, Pro Mac 800)

Bottom shelf; breaker & spinner, more chain, (R-L: CP55, CP70, CP70L, SP70-runner, SP70-looker).

Bookshelf contains IPL's, service bulletins, and several workshop manuals and related documents.

attachment.php

A better look at the hot rod 10 Series group.

attachment.php

Mark

I am curious, what 5 cube saw is it? The brochure has DE80, PM800 and a PM850S. The saw in the picture is a DE80, so what saw would you be buying? Or is it pot-luck?

bob

These models overlapped. The internals are all the same. The DE80 had a different carb and intake setup. But the brochure confirms that they are all rated the same. I am a PM800man as it has more interchangable parts than a DE80. Other than photos, I have never seen a PM850S but according to the IPL it is pretty much the same as a PM800 or PM805. Ron

Mark, the shop looks great. Now that you have it in order how about running some tests to verify the HP figures on the 82cc MACs? I am still a little blown away by them. Thanks, Ron

Oh I have a long, long way to go before I build a dynomometer capable of verifying the HP ratings on my saws. It is, however, on the wish list of thing to do one day...

Right now I have a 1-76 in pieces, hoping to marry it up to parts from an 840 to make my own version of the 1-86. Concurrently I have the 73A from Australia in pieces and starting to get it cleaned up and checked out in the hopes of making it run again one day soon. Perhaps after that I will try to get my USA made 73 to run, then the 47 from Sprint Car, the 3-25 that has been setting on the shelf for 3 or 4 years, then I have a 650 (gear drive) in the attic, and the 895, the Super 55, Super 55A, 1-81....

I think you get the idea.

And then, I have TWO NOS SP81 blocks in the attic and enough parts to get one saw put together I think.

Seems as if the opportunities are endless.

Mark

My list is much much shorter than yours but enough to drive me crazy (it's a short drive). I had visions of building a stand with a large auto alternator and measuring the output to test and tune saws but after I Googled small engine dynameters and read a few articles I knew such a project was way over my head, not to mention the shortage of good old incandescent bulbs. Ron

These models overlapped. The internals are all the same. The DE80 had a different carb and intake setup. But the brochure confirms that they are all rated the same. I am a PM800man as it has more interchangable parts than a DE80. Other than photos, I have never seen a PM850S but according to the IPL it is pretty much the same as a PM800 or PM805. Ron

That's just it...The PM800/805/850 are the same, but the carb mounting, airbox/fuel tank are completely different on the DE80. To me, the brochure is saying you'll get a 5 cuber, but it could be one of three different model saws. Kinda like buying a "10-10" sight unseen and no other info, it might be a PM10-10S or a RH 10-10 auto. I prefer to know exactly what I'm buying, not just that it's a 5 cube Mac.

bob

That's just it...The PM800/805/850 are the same, but the carb mounting, airbox/fuel tank are completely different on the DE80. To me, the brochure is saying you'll get a 5 cuber, but it could be one of three different model saws. Kinda like buying a "10-10" sight unseen and no other info, it might be a PM10-10S or a RH 10-10 auto. I prefer to know exactly what I'm buying, not just that it's a 5 cube Mac.

bob

I think you are just reading it wrong. The brochure is just saying that the three have the same ratings. Checkout a pickup truck sales brochure, they do it the same way. :msp_smile: Ron

Thats true! Thanks alot!!
I dont know yet how to insert pics big?

E.:msp_confused:

I don't know a clean way like the others must. But to post your picture I right clicked on your image and selected open in another tab. I then copied the address. Hit reply in the original window (if I hadn't already). Hit insert pictures. Hit URL. Paste the copied address. Unclick the little check mark. Hit insert. Preview post to make sure it worked. To do your own originally, just do what you have been doing. Before submitting, preview your post. Right click on image. Open in new tab. Copy address. Go back to your post. Hit insert image. etc. There has got to be a better way but I don't know it. Ron

Latest posts

Back