McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken!

I guess my 797 will be the designated "GTG saw".

Great video Bob:rock:

-Andy

Last edited:
My SP-125 has a Nova II chip in it and it runs fine.....

So yes, chips do work in the saw.

bob

Igpoe bought one with the chip installed. Supposedly it ran great by the description. The chip seemed to advance the timing way too much. It would break your fingers starring it with the decomp pushed in. And once you got it running it would cut in and out at wot and in the wood. I did nothing but remove the chip, clean, and reset the points to make the saw run perfect. Maybe this chip was a lemon, but the saw wouldn't run from #### with it. Just my 0.02

Igpoe bought one with the chip installed. Supposedly it ran great by the description. The chip seemed to advance the timing way too much. It would break your fingers starring it with the decomp pushed in. And once you got it running it would cut in and out at wot and in the wood. I did nothing but remove the chip, clean, and reset the points to make the saw run perfect. Maybe this chip was a lemon, but the saw wouldn't run from #### with it. Just my 0.02

I had the exact same thing in a 790 i bought
on ebay. It had a chip, Can't remember which
one but it would rip the cord right through your
fingers. I disconected the chip reconected the
points and all was good.

Lee

Picked this stuff up today. I only wanted the 10-10S but it came with the other three saws.

The 10-10S is in overall fantastic condition. Looks to have the original bar on it. Guy said they were bought from a neighbor and they saw the fuel line was all messed up so they stopped working on it. It has fantastic compression. They removed the top of the fuel tank and stopped at that point. I have the handle as well. SHould clean up extremely nice.

The other stuff I will get rid of. One of the 3516s are FR and the timber bear thing is also a FR. No idea on their condition and really don't care at this point anyways.

It seems to me the 10-10S is not really rare but a nice saw in that line up though.

It will be a while before I get to these as tonight I will be working on the PM800 as it has been shelved to many times this week already.
View attachment 291312
View attachment 291313

My SP-125 has a Nova II chip in it and it runs fine.....

So yes, chips do work in the saw.

bob

Maybe it's just with the NAPA chip. I searched but can't find that they advance the timing...but they must.

My SP80 (w/NAPA chip) acts just like Lee describes...you have to start it with the throttle locked or it breaks your fingers...but man she runs like f'in animal in the wood!

Attacking points on the 125 now....

-Andy

Pressed the piston on the PM800 rod. I found this 1/4" tp 3/8" adaptor slid just right for pushing the pin in which seemed to work a lot better than a socket as it would stay in place.

View attachment 291434

Torque value for the block to oil tank on a Pro Mac 800?

I could just go until my elbow clicks:hmm3grin2orange:

But if someone knows the actual value it would be great

The block is together. I just hope I get it ready for next week. Is there a true way to vac test it after seals are in with the pulse oil pump set up? If there is a link someone can post it would be great.

For some reason this build is stressing me out. Maybe the fast of tough to find parts etc. I don't want a do over on this.

View attachment 291477

My CAD has been in remission for a couple years now, but I've relapsed and now I'm a member of the SIX-CUBE club!

The day was going South real quick. Had to make a 72-mile emergency mad dash into work from the folks' place to fix a hardware problem. Got that taken care off and was taking a few minutes to relax and scan the local craigslists like I always do.

Right at the top was this little beauty. Figured it was another overpriced throwaway Mac until I saw the picture... A PM1000, and only a few miles from work!

Hasn't been run since 2007, but it's got monster compression. Ain't no drop-starting this baby.

3/4 wrap handle, 28" bar...

291482d1366494731-dsc_0002_small-jpg

291483d1366494733-dsc_0003_small-jpg

291484d1366494735-dsc_0004_small-jpg

Anybody got chain brake parts?

Last edited:
She's alive:rock:

Got the points all cleaned up, replaced the condenser, reset the gap...and removed the chip of course!

Also, new carb kit, removed (the rest of) the red paint, removed chain brake (waiting on latch and spring to show up) and blasted/painted muffler with VHT Black.

[video=youtube;en-R5QwWgpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=en-R5QwWgpQ[/video]

My first youtube vid....hopefully it works!

-Andy

I hate to say it but I think you just decreased your compression ratio on the big end with little or no gain in breathing. That goofy knotch is supposed to substitute for a decomp valve.

Hopefully one of the guys who know for sure will be along soon.

ODW

I'm not commenting on this particular saw but I've always said that you can over port an engine and render it useless (the same with muffler mods) but nobody seems to listen...

It's kind of a trade off, you trade torque for rpms by porting.

Last edited:
Back