McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may sound strange from someone always looking for 82cc Mac parts....

I need a fly wheel from a points ignition mini Mac. Anyone got one they could spare?

It's for my sp40 which I've been using often here lately and the coil died yesterday. When I swapped it to a adjustable carb, I also put a fly wheel and coil from a electronic ignition mini Mac. I'm going back to points style with a module for reliability and to get away from those mini Mac electronic coils that fail so often.

Thanks guys.

Odd that the Indian Head didn't work. I've used that and cardboard to seal quite a few things on various vehicles and scooters. Namely a blown waterneck gasket on the side of the road. Never have had that stuff fail in any application I have used it on. Have had it in areas in contact with oil gas and water. Did you let both sides get alil tacky before assembly. Another trick is to heat cure it with a hair dryer. My dad was an aircraft mechanic and thats all he would ever use on everything I seen him work on.

Odd that the Indian Head didn't work. I've used that and cardboard to seal quite a few things on various vehicles and scooters. Namely a blown waterneck gasket on the side of the road. Never have had that stuff fail in any application I have used it on. Have had it in areas in contact with oil gas and water. Did you let both sides get alil tacky before assembly. Another trick is to heat cure it with a hair dryer. My dad was an aircraft mechanic and thats all he would ever use on everything I seen him work on.

I think Lee was probably right about the original gasket being too crushed to seal any longer. I did let the Indian Head dry to a very tacky state on both tank surfaces, though what the instructions mean by "let dry" is rather vague, so maybe I wasn't patient enough with the drying time.

Regardless, I'm trimming up a new gasket and we'll see what happens with it. I'll try it by itself first. If it holds water, I'll dry things out, re-seal with the Indian Head stuff again and let it dry longer and/or use a little heat for curing and then re-assemble and hope it holds gas.

Making a new gasket that narrow out of 1/8" material sure was a pain in the a$$, tho!

Last edited:
I knew ya could do it. :rock:

Lee

Well, shucks...:redface:

Nah, man..., it was either the right way by meticulously exercising the patience to make a replacement gasket, or try redneckin' it back together by any number of other possible solutions -- all of which would have been fairly messy to clean up if not effective in order to try again..., and still probably ending up making a new gasket in the long run anyway. The Indian Head mess cleaned up fairly well afterward with some solvent and lots of elbow grease. Here are a couple pics -- complete with a brand new Windsor bar just the way I received it from the auction, but a little cleaner. All of the saws had departmental designations on them that would be nice to remove, but the paint used is some stubborn stuff and isn't going away easily.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pogo - let us see some more photos of the clutch cover side, looks like someone cut down a long cover to make a sort of short one out of it.

On another matter, I "won" a CP70 while I was traveling, took a look at it today and decided it needed a pretty thorough going through. I have it down far enough to pressure/vacuum test once I get everything cleaned up. Seems to have very good compression, should be a fun project.

I also picked up and interesting McCulloch roller nose bar just before I left. Rather narrow profile and the oil passage down the length of the bar directing the bar oil to the nose. I decided it would make a nice complement to the BP-1 so here it is. I have a few other similar bars, some hardnose and one of the original for the BP-1 with the Auto Mac chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not sure how far I will get this week. Seems that I will be leaving the country again on Saturday, Brasil this time...in the mean while Jeff my older son is in the hospital again. Kidneys shut down a few weeks ago, he's been on dialysis and doing pretty well but developed an infection and had surgery today to try and get that straightened out. Seems you never stop being a parent.

Mark

Last edited:
Pogo - let us see some more photos of the clutch cover side, looks like someone cut down a long cover to make a sort of short one out of it.

On another matter, I "won" a CP70 while I was traveling, took a look at it today and decided it needed a pretty thorough going through. I have it down far enough to pressure/vacuum test once I get everything cleaned up. Seems to have very good compression, should be a fun project.

I also picked up and interesting McCulloch roller nose bar just before I left. Rather narrow profile and the oil passage down the length of the bar directing the bar oil to the nose. I decided it would make a nice complement to the BP-1 so here it is. I have a few other similar bars, some hardnose and one of the original for the BP-1 with the Auto Mac chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not sure how far I will get this week. Seems that I will be leaving the country again on Saturday, Brasil this time...in the mean while Jeff my older son is in the hospital again. Kidneys shut down a few weeks ago, he's been on dialysis and doing pretty well but developed an infection and had surgery today to try and get that straightened out. Seems you never stop being a parent.

Mark

Hey mark, I feel sorry for Jeff and you guys having to go through that. I hope all turns out well.

About that bar, I had one if those bars but it wasn't a roller nose. It was a hard nose but it had that same oiler setup. It was cool. I sold it with my 3-10E a while back.

I think my 10-10 died yesterday, I was cutting some thin logs to use as firewood and after I finished my cut and the saw was trying to return to idle it bogged and died so I opened the tank and put more fuel in it but it still wouldn't start and after that I took the saws air filter cover off and found the entire air box below the lid filled with fuel so I retired her and got my spare saw out and finished. But that was yesterday today I looked at the saw and the muffler was leaking out fuel and was wet. I just don't know what the problem could be the saw was running good but repairing the saw will have to wait.

Mac10-10 my 10-10 does that every so often. Usually I let it sit for about 10-15 min and it cranks right back. The carb on mine needs to be rebuilt but it runs and I know it's issues so I havn't bothered to mess with it. A few people I have talked to that work on these around here and the guy I got it from says these do that. The diaphragm gets weak and they flood or they get hot and flood. Let it dry out and see if it will run again if not easiest place to start would be rebuilding the carb. These are real simple to rebuild. Also he mentioned something about vapor lock on these when they get hot.

Will do. Wasn't sure if it was "made" to be a short cover, or just a broken one. Pretty ragged either way and I intend to smooth it out a bit.

And best wishes from Ohio for your son and family.

Last edited:
Thanks ODW, Jeff certainly has had a rough go of it lately. He doesn't complain much, perhaps he should as it might get him attention before some of these things get so far out of hand.

By the way, I did finally break the starter rope on the BP-1 yesterday, fortunately it was in the friendly confines of my yard and work shop so making the switch to the new rope was easy enough.

Mark

So I gave OREGONLOGGER's Indian Head gasket sealer method a try and still have a major seal failure. I re-used the original gasket which appeared to still be in really good shape, though showed significant indentation where the ridge of the tank base should obviously create one for the seal itself. There was a previous attempt at fixing the leak with some type of sealer applied only at the rear corners of the tank, which as mentioned in a previous post, probably just created a bigger leak, but was easily cleaned up with no residue on the tank surface areas or the gasket. I was reluctant to soak the gasket in anything that may interfere with the shellac curing, so I just went with it as it was and applied the sealer to both surfaces and let cure for a while before assembly per the instructions. Snagged a good fuel line from an old 10-10 donor, put it together, let it sit for 24 hours. Still leaked just as bad as before. And when I pulled it back apart, the shellac was pretty runny again vs. real gummy/tacky like when I put things back together.

So..., a couple of questions;

What is adequate "drying time for this stuff? (The Indian Head sealer.)

Is it possible the gasket is too compressed and has lost enough thickness to even be close to effective...even with the sealer?

Is the original thickness of the gasket 1/8"? (Looks like it around the edges.)

As for Fel-Pro at the local auto parts store, they only carry the 1/16" stuff, so if the compression already present in the existing gasket isn't sealing, I doubt that a new, thinner gasket would be much better...and I assume doubling up a pair of thinner ones would not exactly receive a ringing endorsement from you guys, either. Plus, just cutting one would be bad enough.

The Red-Kote is tempting, but it's mighty expensive and the smallest available container size is a quart.

And finally, I have a real mess of shellac that needs cleaned up before I can give this another shot by whatever method. What's the best solvent for dissolving this stuff? Mineral spirits barely puts a dent in it. Lacquer thinner maybe? (Don't have any on hand to try at the moment.) Gas has some effect, but not much...and shouldn't according to what the sealer is intended to seal.

TIA for any additional advice / input as usual. Would sure like to get this rascal running along side the other two!

Oh yeah, is this the Indian Head stuff everyone refers to? It's what I used.

attachment.php

That's a bummer it didn't seal Pogo it seems I let the Indian Head cure next to my wood stove at least a week before I put fuel in the tank and I use the same thickness gaskets from my local auto parts store they have 4 sizes I stock them all and I load up the screws as well..once I button them up and set by the stove and cure...they never leak or hasn't yet anyway

Latest posts

Back