McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a bummer it didn't seal Pogo it seems I let the Indian Head cure next to my wood stove at least a week before I put fuel in the tank and I use the same thickness gaskets from my local auto parts store they have 4 sizes I stock them all and I load up the screws as well..once I button them up and set by the stove and cure...they never leak or hasn't yet anyway

I don't think the problem was the sealer at all, but rather that I was expecting too much out of it trying rescue a gasket that was basically shot. Was probably a bit impatient in the drying time as well, but the bottle didn't exactly specify a week by the wood burner as the drying time, either.:hmm3grin2orange: I certainly would have given it another shot if I had any seeping at the seam with the new gasket, but it seems fine with no sealer for now, so I'm not tempting fate any further and am just gonna leave it as is!

But if it ends up leaking? I'll just fire up the wood burner early this year and try again!

Thanks.

:cheers:

If you'd care to start mass producing those gaskets I'll put in an order for a dozen or so, provided you are willing to sell them for less than $10 per piece.

I have seen them come up on e-bay from time to time at $35 each, I paid less than $5 for the two that I had and didn't realize they had become unobtanium or I would not have given one away.

Mark

If you'd care to start mass producing those gaskets I'll put in an order for a dozen or so, provided you are willing to sell them for less than $10 per piece.

That'd put me at around $2.50/hr. considering it took me almost 4 hours to make ONE!:hmm3grin2orange:

Biggest pain was trying to fashion a template via various means...all of which were less than adequate for the task. I ended up using the old gasket itself. Just set it on the new gasket material and used a light coat of spray paint to get the outlines and started whittlin' away everything that didn't look like a PM700 tank gasket until it actually fit.

Not exactly something I want to do again any time soon!

If someone needs a gasket made let me know. All I would need is an old gasket or some sort of template. Have lots of experience at making gaskets for various things. Learned a few tricks along the way and which tools are needed.

If someone needs a gasket made let me know. All I would need is an old gasket or some sort of template. Have lots of experience at making gaskets for various things. Learned a few tricks along the way and which tools are needed.

If you could knock out a bunch o' the PM tank gaskets in an hour or so, you'd be a real popular guy around here. I'd send you my old one, but it's not a good example for a template...., pretty misshapen, hence the hassle I went through sorta having to eyeball and freelance my way around the cutting and trimming process by constantly fitting/re-fitting, trimming/re-trimming......

It'd make more sense for ya to dig up a handle/tank and do your magic from a template you made yourself using the best process for the surface area if ya wanna do a batch of these. You could also refine the fit much better going that route.

Picture to relieve stress.....

Came in the mail today, killer compression and a nice Windsor 28" bar and chain. Maybe run it this weekend, friend has a 30" white oak he wants down.. :msp_thumbup:

Seems to be in pretty good shape, tanks full of varnish.

Hope Jeff get's better Mark, we said a prayer for him and the family.

I don't think the problem was the sealer at all, but rather that I was expecting too much out of it trying rescue a gasket that was basically shot. Was probably a bit impatient in the drying time as well, but the bottle didn't exactly specify a week by the wood burner as the drying time, either.:hmm3grin2orange: I certainly would have given it another shot if I had any seeping at the seam with the new gasket, but it seems fine with no sealer for now, so I'm not tempting fate any further and am just gonna leave it as is!

But if it ends up leaking? I'll just fire up the wood burner early this year and try again!

Thanks.

:cheers:

As I was impatient many years ago with the Indian Head no drying time indeed so I learned the hard way with a leaker but a weeks cure or longer seems the ticket...I have a good Cal Ripken streak with no leakers now:D

Seems Honda has a good sealer as well which I have not used I'll bet it cures faster but with any sealant on a tank I want a long cure before fuel hits it...good luck Pogo

I have seen them come up on e-bay from time to time at $35 each, I paid less than $5 for the two that I had and didn't realize they had become unobtanium or I would not have given one away.

Mark

I'll bet there's a lazer graphics shop with the click of a laptop that will burn 25, 50 or 100 of those gaskets for nothing burn 25 sheets at a time all they would need is a well cut master and pick em up the next day...I'm so smart:laugh:

I'll bet there's a lazer graphics shop with the click of a laptop that will burn 25, 50 or 100 of those gaskets for nothing burn 25 sheets at a time all they would need is a well cut master and pick em up the next day...I'm so smart:laugh:

Don't pat yo selfy so hard on the back there Terry,
Ya might knock yo selfy ova. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Lee

I think my 10-10 died yesterday, I was cutting some thin logs to use as firewood and after I finished my cut and the saw was trying to return to idle it bogged and died so I opened the tank and put more fuel in it but it still wouldn't start and after that I took the saws air filter cover off and found the entire air box below the lid filled with fuel so I retired her and got my spare saw out and finished. But that was yesterday today I looked at the saw and the muffler was leaking out fuel and was wet. I just don't know what the problem could be the saw was running good but repairing the saw will have to wait.

Needle is stuck open. Had the same problem with my PM700 when I first got it. Took 3-4 tries at rebuilding the carb to get it right, but I finally got it once I knew the trick.

Anyone have an opinion on the nova 2 chip. According to the video it helps with hot start issues on alot of the macs. If it actually does work I may pick up one for the 10-10 and 380 when I get it running.

I don't have any experience with the Nova chips, any chips for that matter. I take them off saws I get that have them, and go back to the original points and condenser. I have a half dozen or so new and used chips on hand but don't see the need for them if the rest of the saw is in good condition.

+1 on getting the carburetor, including the metering needle right. I have a 7-10 that would always flood it I stopped it warm, finally rebuilt the carburetor and set the metering lever correctly and that saw now flat out rips cold, warm, hot, restarts easily, and is a pleasure to run (other than the noise and vibration).

I will have to propose the 10 Series fuel tank gaskets to Joe Salva, seems like a great project for his talents. If I run into a problem tank in the near future, I still have a good quantity of Red Kote available, I expect that even at $29.99/quart it will do 8 or 10 tanks which is cheaper than one $35 gasket.

Randy - you will like that 850 if it is in good condition. The 82 cc McCulloch saws are pretty impressive

Visited Jeff in Iowa City last night, he will have a rather long recovery as there is a significant wound to heal after they removed all of the infection. They have him in the burn unit since there is so much exposure due to the opening, but it all looks very good for a recovery from that portion of his woes. Now if only his kidneys would start working again...on the plus side, he's lost about 50 pounds and seems to be on track for a more healthy diet with the other issues he is dealing with.

This is from last fall before any of the problems appeared:

attachment.php

As you can see, he had some energy reserves to spare.

Mark

...Visited Jeff in Iowa City last night, he will have a rather long recovery as there is a significant wound to heal after they removed all of the infection. They have him in the burn unit since there is so much exposure due to the opening, but it all looks very good for a recovery from that portion of his woes. Now if only his kidneys would start working again...on the plus side, he's lost about 50 pounds and seems to be on track for a more healthy diet with the other issues he is dealing with...

mark, adding yer son to my prayer list. once had kidney failure but they started working again. gettin those dialysis ports in yer bod is a real pain and having them makes you feel like a bionic man. God bless.

I hope your son has a speedy recovery Mark!

And send me a copy of his new diet, we have similar "body types":)

-Andy

Pogo - let us see some more photos of the clutch cover side, looks like someone cut down a long cover to make a sort of short one out of it.

Trimmed down long cover..., probably from being broken somewhere along the line. The other two PM700's have long covers as does the PM555.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So i picked up this 895. It was a recent quick BIN on the bay.
Came with a 36 inch roller nose bar and no chain. Has compression.
I hit the BIN at 120.00, Thought that was reasonable for an 895 with
good compression. So the seller sends me an email with a pic of the
bottom showing the big hole in the fan housing. Said he would cancel
the auction if i didn't want it. Said no i still want it but give me a break
on the shipping cost. he did just that. Got the saw yesterday and what
a filthy dirty ole saw it is. Well i took it partially appart to clean and soak.
Went back at it tonight to do more cleaning. I had taken the coil off and
was cleaning some more then i notice a screw head under all the grime.
HHMMMM, Not suppose to be a screw here on a 895. Did more cleaning
and yes it has a boost port cover. I then looked at the block #'s. I almost
fainted.

Can you guess what i have here guys. :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Lee

Latest posts

Back