McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home game for the Hawkeyes today so we didn't even consider a trip to Iowa City since the U of I Hospital is across the street from Kinnick Stadium. We will go down after church tomorrow and find out if he will be released on Wednesday after all.

I helped a co-worker this morning take down a smallish pine tree, just over 20" or so as the base. Used the latest SP81 and my CP55; down, cut up, loaded the trailer (almost full), and out of there in just over an hour. Sorry no photos.

After I unloaded the wood and the gear I went back to the CP70 saw. On the first try, no spark. Pulled the flywheel again and found a small bit of paper lodged in the point (I always drag a piece of paper through the point after I set them to clean off any remaining residue). O.K. now the spark is fine so put the rest together. I made sure the oiler was good to go last night. Last step was the tank/top and carburetor.

For those that aren't familiar with the CP70 saws, they are fit with the SDC18 carburetor that have the bigger bore , 750" venture and .812" throttle bore compared to most of the SDC versions with .625" venture and .750" throttle bore. I swiped the 18 off my other CP70 to install on my SP125 after adding the fitting for the impulse to operate the fuel pump portion. Try as I might, I could not get this saw to run correctly with the SDC18, went through the carburetor twice with the same results, poor acceleration and would not idle, seemed to be good at the top end. I had another SDC18 that I picked up off e-bay so I put new gaskets & diaphragms in that one, exactly the same performance. Now what?

Finally I took another "regular" SDC from my box of spares and low and behold, starts, idles, accelerates, and seems to be pretty good at the top end with just bit of burble. Now I need to find some wood to cut and see how this one is really going to perform. Now to find another SDC or two with the external impulse line or find a couple of fittings to add to these and I will have a couple more "big" carburetors for the SP105/125 saws if I decide to go that way.

attachment.php

I went with the 4 bolt spike on this one, I rather like the way they look and mount

attachment.php

Interesting lower mounts for the anti-vibration on the CP saws, the top mounts are just like the SP 10 Series saws. The reed type muffler is very effective.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lever type compression release on the CP70

attachment.php

Mark

Last edited:
Nice saw Mark. It amazes how light the CP70 is. I have a 28" on mine and it balances nice and is light.

Hey Mark,

sorry to hear about your son Jeff. Hope he recovers well, since we need more pictures of the Heimann family cutting Wood !!:).

Dragging my sorry @ss in China for the moment with no single chainsaw in sight......grrrrr

Hey Mark,

sorry to hear about your son Jeff. Hope he recovers well, since we need more pictures of the Heimann family cutting Wood !!:).

Dragging my sorry @ss in China for the moment with no single chainsaw in sight......grrrrr

Roland I'll bet you can find some of them chinese stihl copies that McBob plays with if you look around a bit.:D

SP81E oils a bit too well

I really like this saw. It runs real strong and it has been well taken care of. It does kick out a lot of bar oil, though. Not leaking but slinging it off the chain. The gas tank is no where close to empty when the bar oil is gone. I tried to adjust it with no luck. I'd appreciate any advice.

Anybody seen chain like this? Came on the Mac 850 i recently acquired.

Saw runs with a new fuel line and filter and was used to down a 30"+ white oak over the weekend. Chain is like nothing I've ever seen. Cutters are in sets of two, one right and one left and seem to be filed by 1/2 the length of the cutter.

Short cutter here

Long or normal cutter here

Pattern is two normal, two shortened for the entire chain. Running the chain in dead oak got me a shorter chip, something like a chipper chain would give. But looking at the pile of chips was a mix of normal chip and the short chip as well. Now I was told that this saw was a fallers saw at one time. It hadn't been run in quite a few years, started on the third pull after the fuel line and filter change and runs a little rich with 150psi. Came with a 28" Windsor speed tip bar and this chain. Chain has Oregon stamped on it. And the saw for posterity. It didn't seem to run any faster with this chain.

Back