McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the D44 yesterday it's alot worse than described. All that was stated was wrong with it was a busted flywheel cover and air filter cover. Turns out it's missing the springs on the starter pawls, rings are shot lots of blowback about 80 on the tester and wont hold pressure and piston has alot of play. Does have spark. Piston and cylinder look good so rings should fix it. On the upside got the 1-46 cleaned out and running good.IMG_20140204_181851.jpgIMG_20140204_181905.jpgIMG_20140204_181929.jpgIMG_20140204_181949.jpgIMG_20140204_181958.jpgIMG_20140204_182031.jpg

If anyone has a lead on a starter and rings please let me know want to get it running. I can fix the rest.

You tell me we'll both know some sort of brass plug. Someone with a welder "fixed" a few things that shouldn't have been welded. It's rough but I believe salvageable.

Mark I may have to get a few parts from you next month to get it back together. Can not pull the pins out the starter pawls and the piece is welded to the clutch. Can not find rings any where.

Ok guys need knowledge the D44 rings are 50.8mm diameter 1.2 width the stihl 044 measures 50mm diameter 1.2 width would they work

That is a thing of beauty now. I like those wide AF covers and have set up my SP60 with the cold weather duct that draws the intake air over the muffler to help warm it up. There is a flap valve inside to close it off for warm weather operation.

Some pages back Ted has photos of his SP60 with the full kit, wide cover, duct, hand guard, rubber grip, and the extra hand guard on the bottom of the handle. I am yellow with envy on that one.

Here is mine with the less than original paint job...

DSC02930.JPG

Mark

I could kick myself in the butt knew better than to leave gas in saw for more than a day. Had the 1-46 running good try to start it today took forever and ran like crap. Only thing to do know is dump the crap flush it and hope when I put non eth gas which I finally found a place to get it will straighten out.

I have never had a tank of gas go bad in a few days. How long did your saw sit? I would think 30-60 days maybe a little more or less and the ethanol would start to separate. Phase separation is a nasty process and is a mess. Luckily around here where I live non-ethanol gas is everywhere. I don't run anything in my saws, boats or other equipment but regular old gas and man what a difference it made.

I can go out and start my saw or anything else and it fires right up and runs great. Thank God I have access to regular gas here. I hear other places though folks can't find it. I wonder why some places have it and other's don't? Ethanol gave me a lot of headaches and I only run it in my Jeep. Doesn't seem to make ,much of a difference there but I can also feel it if I do put regular gas in it. The two strokes of course you notice it the most.

Nick

Back