McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking at listings for farm sales (clearing auction) the other day and saw "Mcculloch Chainsaw 50 years Old Still Goes". I figured it was a 250 but thought it was worth trying to find out a bit more about it. Managed to find the contact details for the bloke that was selling up and gave a call - he told me he would send a picture over on the day of the sale and arrange someone to bid for me. He also told me that he had brought the saw new and it had been working all its life around the farm. Sent me this just before the auction started and arranged for his son in law to bid on my behalf - low and behold, it was no 250 but a 740. Now I figure these are rare in the USA but there can not be many running saws in Australia can there? Mcculloch mixing bottle was original with the saw. Chain sharpener in the mix cause he was still sharpening the chain when he had to use! Its 300km away but picking up Monday.
Now you maybe some of you real saw buffs can help me - all the 740's I have seen previously have had a right hand starter. Just from looking this saw seems pretty original - maybe export models had a different configuration? Maybe it has been screwed with - have not see the other side to confirm what the go is with the clutch cover. Also appears to have a steel bar where other 7 40's I have seen have had an aluminium bar. It has a 740 filter cover but is there any chance that it is a 795L??

Cheers Mark - I will not be able to get a real clear idea of this saw until I pick it up. Owner is close to 90 and a little vague on things but it was certainly a saw worth grabbing. I am thinking that the bottle in the picture was the chain oil bottle that fitted inside the bigger fuel container - I will put a run in to see if the bigger one is lying around but to be that is going to be a long shot. The small container is still a nice piece to have.

Cheers Mark - I will not be able to get a real clear idea of this saw until I pick it up. Owner is close to 90 and a little vague on things but it was certainly a swa worth grabbing.
Farm sales rock for finding old saws, keep a look out like you did for this one, more will come!

This is the third Mac that I have found that was sitting in a shed as purchased by the original owner, and was in going condition after a clean and some new fuel. In Australia most old time farmers would have had a Mac in the 60's and 70's until this shifted to Stihl and Husqvarna in the 80's mainly as dealers sprung up in every country town. When you look at farm sales there are areas where it is almost all Husky saws or areas where it is all Stihl - dependent on the name of the local dealer.
In the age of the internet there is still a place for just getting our into the country and checking things out and putting the word out for any old saws that might be lying around. Most old timers in Australia would rather throw a saw away if they thought they were being sharked but would give you a saw if you had a genuine interest.

What's the estimated value of a NOS 2" bore 10 series cylinder, piston, rings, and bottom end?
Idk on that, I'd like to think it is worth a good amount but it is only a 10-10. those saws are running around everywhere and good used assemblies like that are a dime a dozen, I just can't see someone paying extra for nos on something like that. but I could be very wrong

Idk on that, I'd like to think it is worth a good amount but it is only a 10-10. those saws are running around everywhere and good used assemblies like that are a dime a dozen, I just can't see someone paying extra for nos on something like that. but I could be very wrong
2" bore is 70 cc though and those are much less available.

I missed that haha, is there anyway to tell if it was for a 5-10 or 7-10 or 700

Are there numbers for the whole assembly

A little help.
The SP70, 700 and 7-10 have the DSP facing towards the rear of the saw and are manually activated. The 5-10 and 6-10 have the DSP in the right side of the cylinder and are activated by the on - off switch. I don't know about the CP70. CP70's came with RH and LH starters. There may be other 70 cc 10 series. Not sure..

Can anybody tell me what these are? Im assuming they are mcculloch parts but I can't be certain. they came in a bunch of mac parts I bought from an old dealer.20161217_134319.jpg 20161217_134308.jpg

Latest posts

Back