McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a different topic, were McCulloch replaceable sprocket nose bars generally Windsor speed tips? I have one needing a tip (3 rivet style) and there's not much out there in 3/8 .050. Plenty of .404. Found a guy in N.C. that has what appears to be the correct replacement in a Windsor tip. part# SRA-222-B1C. Another guy in Maine has an Oregon replacement for a Windsor that looks the same. Just curious if I'm on the right track. Seems like there would be more sources.

Is SRA-222-B1C what's stamped on your tip?

Hi fellows.

I played around with a Super 44 today. Far as I can tell, it runs pretty well on a HL that looks like it hasn't been into in a long, long time. I am not sure what are "normal" L and H settings for these. What do you listen for in the tune with the governor in place? Is the governor always fluttering WOT unloaded? I have it set around 7/8 L and 1 3/8 H. HL neophyte I am.

Thought I would just tune it in a log. Couldn't run the saw, get at eye level to look through the knockout hole, and steady a driver at the same time.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the music for awhile.

DSC01021.JPG

Carb governors open to dump fuel at a certain frequency (vibration ) level so it should be dumping in extra fuel at high no load RPM's.

I've often thought of trying to find one of these for tuning while running. Split blade screwdrivers that lock on the slot. You can't reef on them but they are great for holding slot screws to get them started. Should hold for tuning as well if the slots aren't too wide.

http://www.quickwedge.com/Original-Series

split tip.jpg

Carb governors open to dump fuel at a certain frequency (vibration ) level so it should be dumping in extra fuel at high no load RPM's.

I've often thought of trying to find one of these for tuning while running. Split blade screwdrivers that lock on the slot. You can't reef on them but they are great for holding slot screws to get them started. Should hold for tuning as well if the slots aren't too wide.

http://www.quickwedge.com/Original-Series

View attachment 579318

We used to use those screwdrivers in certain situations when I was wiring houses etc with my dad many years ago. Handy when you were reaching deep into a panel or fumbling with cover plate screws. I am going to grab one from him next visit.

I should have mentioned that the governor is not the high speed ball/spring check. It is the air vane governor. I was trying to get it so it wouldn't flutter/bounce, but it was really rich at that point.

You are correct Poge - the 44 is 72cc, Super 44 is 80cc, and Super 44A is 87cc; I thought the 1-70 was same as the Super 44 and only the 1-71 and 1-72 was 87cc like the Super 44A, the 1-75 is 95cc and the 1-76 is 99cc.

Cory - I expect you need more like 1 turn on the H, for set up you can force the throttle wide open with a screw driver or similar device for a few seconds to make sure you have a little burble at WOT.

On my 1-85 I have adjusted the governor to let it wind up a bit more, just putting your hand over the air intake on the flywheel cover limits the air flow and you can hear it speed up quite a lot.

Mark

Here the 1-70 I bought yesterday , it seems to be in good condition except for the cylinder cover and muffler deflector missing , it needed a set of carb seals and after a normal sharp on the chain it was ready for test in wood . Bar is her original one , the saw has been bought new by the grandfather of the seller
20170515_093713.jpg 20170515_093727.jpg
It runs very good but I won't be using it to much before I find the cover because I think it isn't very good for air cooling as well as the regulator governor . And when you are cuting wood you take a lot of chips in your face which I don't realy like :D
20170515_093842.jpg 20170515_093820.jpg
If anyone can PM the ipl it would be perfect :hi:

I picked up a Super Pro 70 the other day, and I'm wondering if a sprocket from a Pro Mac 10-10 or similar saw will fit the SP70?

I'm in the process of restoring a 4-30. Can anyone tell me how the recoil over-running clutch thing works and how it comes apart? I have the IPL but its quite grainy. The cable reel is off and the starter shaft is now seemingly stuck and won't turn, and can't seem to be driven out. Thanks!

So it looks like I should be able to just drive #22 straight out? and then the spring (#19) should also just pull right out?
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Certainly looks that way in the illustration, but...

I'd try some heat on the housing to see if that may loosen things up before applying excessive pressure to the shaft. Maybe hold the assembly with a vise by the shaft itself and rotate the heated housing or use a two jaw puller to press the shaft out?

Unless there's a mystery clip holding the shaft, I'd assume there's some binding of the spring hanging things up.

I ran into something weird on my unidentified mcculloch chainsaw with a MC100 cart motor installed. These are the seals removed
417e56e6d1be43d4b9dcc9450fdedf07.jpg

There were two on top of each other on the flywheel side.
3e24785b1a7f38162b0840b99e24a883.jpg

The clutch side seal had a messed up edge.
6ecb5d6408f0520aadcc0a9fd4a33c0a.jpg

54f9a3277af519cb0471639ca450e694.jpg

Is any of this original?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back