McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored a Mac 380 today. Looks to be a well kept saw, found it 10 min from my work. Carb looks so clean, inside tank looks great, even has intact plug boot and rubber grommet for mixture screws.View attachment 825693View attachment 825695View attachment 825696View attachment 825697

What's the deal with this bar? Never seen anything like it.View attachment 825698View attachment 825699

That’s a roller nose. Pretty cool bar. I’ve sold off the two that I had. Kinda wish I had kept one. They say debris can get in front of the wheel and throw the chain but it didn’t happen to me in the limited use I have it.

Yeah I figured it was some sort of rollernose, but I've never seen one that didn't have the roller fully exposed. Seems to me this bar is kinda a cross between a roller and sprocket. Anyone know who made it? I haven't pulled bar yet but exposed portion of it has no markings.

On the gray and black McCulloch bars who can tell me what font that is? Or does someone have a PDF of that logo?

Thanks

This one?
s-l1600.jpg

If so, I uploaded a cropped version to https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont and the best match (IMHO) was Geom Graphic Bold. The bottoms of the "L"s look a little long, but otherwise it's a pretty good match.

MCC-FONT.PNG

Yeah I figured it was some sort of rollernose, but I've never seen one that didn't have the roller fully exposed. Seems to me this bar is kinda a cross between a roller and sprocket. Anyone know who made it? I haven't pulled bar yet but exposed portion of it has no markings.

I guess they are different than the others. I like that style.

They say you learn something new everyday, and boy is that the truth. For YEARS I wondered how Mini Macs functioned without a gas tank vent or vented cap, which there was no sign of. I always assumed maybe the cap just leaked enough to let in air.

Today, I learned they vent through a PINHOLE in the top of the tank. I almost didn't believe it until i examined one and sure as s--t.... that's a pin sitting in the tiny vent hole.

I remember sealing a tank (JB weld) pressurizing it, but still had fuel leaking out. Stumped me for a bit, figured it out eventually though.
It was so small I over looked it entirely. If you ever have to reseal a tank at the top seams either with JB weld or plastic welding, you have to be careful to not accidentally go over it. (especially if you don't know it's there)

hello
someone know how to make the handle rubber for a pro mac 850, or can tell where I can see it?
this has that sponge type rubber, that is pretty good.
but if this is impossible a rubber like a plastic type found on others mccullochs.
thanks

Where is the vent hole? I can't find it.
Hello and welcome, i just worked on a 610 for a guy that had a very similiar issue. He nearly lost his oil tank. There are 4 bolts that hold that tank onto the rest of the saw. 2 are on top under the air filter cover in front of the oil pump. In corners. The other 2 are on the bottom. Youll have to remove the bottom plate to see them. Those bolts may be loose is what im getting at. All 4 of his were very very loose.

Yay, I can finally post.... Hi everyone.

I have a PM610 that likes to empty all it's bar oil out overnight - are these known for leaking from a particular place?
It oils the bar just fine.

I had a 82cc Ten Series that would do that. According to the now owner it was due to the oil pump adjustment screw being backed off almost completely. He tightened it some and the leakage quit. I am just repeating what I was told so I can’t personally vouch to the cause and effect.

Ron

Got a load of Juniper with my son Jameson today. He is worth his weight in gold...stacks, throws the stick for the dog, moves the truck, eat my donuts and doesn't mind when I swear. We did good today.

Ran the 125, 81 and 064. Got out of there without breaking anything and only ruining one chain. Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_123042.jpg
    IMG_20200507_123042.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 37
Had a recommendation from someone in another thread to post these pictures here. My dad picked up a PM650 at a yard sale for $20-it was clean as a whistle and the gas tank was dry as a fart. I ran it for a while with the 18" bar it came with but I needed something that would handle some bigger wood. I gave Lee at Lil' Red Barn a call and got a bunch of parts including a 24" bar with full chisel full skip chain and a tune up kit. I'm running it on 50:1 (my other saws are both Stihls) 100LL fuel which it seems to like so far. I also have a PM610/Eager Beaver that runs which I might put the old 18" bar on just for some variety. What is the operative difference between these saws since they are apparently both 60cc? Is it just the carb and/or the tuning? All shined up and 24" bar and skip chain fitted:

aiWsi8tl.jpg

Some of this week's bucking and splitting. Finally got around to working on some of the locust and cherry that fell during the "Four'Easters" in 2018-this is only about half of it. The trunks are about 20-22" in diameter so the 24" bar really helps. Looking forward to browsing this thread more and hopefully learning the difference between a 610 and a 650 as well as what parts interchange:

8DRKhFol.jpg

Looks like it's in good nick. My 610 has a 20" bar on it (with no sprocket) and I'm thinking about trying a 24". No idea what will fit though.
Looking at a manual it says the bore, stroke and displacement are the same. The rings are the only thing different I have seen so far...

Back