McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I picked ups a PM1000 today. It runs and cuts strong and I am happy. I don't know much at all about these and have wanted one for years. I checked the compression. 130-135. That seems a bit low to me. But again I don't know much about these models. Is this low compression for these? Regardless no plans to rebuild it yet, but going to start looking for parts. Picked up an strong running 805 yesterday also. Its been s good start to the week.

I normally use 24 or 28 inch bars on my SP81,PM800,PM850,have used a 32 with full skip chain a couple times & it pulled it quite well.. But this afternoon wanting to cut up a bunch of smaller stuff from helping neighbor last week I slapped a 16 on the 800 for S & G.That was a blast,like a light saber.

What size bar you all running on your 82cc Macs? I'm kinda wondering if I should step down to a 24" on my 81. For as rare as I need a bar that big I think maybe I should find a 28" for my 380 and use that on the real big stuff.
I have everything from 20" to 28" on my 82cc Macs. i have several with 24" The 24" could be my favorite. My SP81 LOVES the 24" I have a 30 or 32 hanging in the shop but its NOS and I cant bring myself to run it.

I normally use 24 or 28 inch bars on my SP81,PM800,PM850,have used a 32 with full skip chain a couple times & it pulled it quite well.. But this afternoon wanting to cut up a bunch of smaller stuff from helping neighbor last week I slapped a 16 on the 800 for S & G.That was a blast,like a light saber.
A 16" on a 800 WOW! like a knife through hot butter!

So I picked ups a PM1000 today. It runs and cuts strong and I am happy. I don't know much at all about these and have wanted one for years. I checked the compression. 130-135. That seems a bit low to me. But again I don't know much about these models. Is this low compression for these? Regardless no plans to rebuild it yet, but going to start looking for parts. Picked up an strong running 805 yesterday also. Its been s good start to the week.

I believe that saw was built by Partner for McCulloch, the corresponding Partner is the P100 I think but partners are not even in my wheelhouse so....

I believe that saw was built by Partner for McCulloch, the corresponding Partner is the P100 I think but partners are not even in my wheelhouse so....
You're right Ira on the Partner version of the PM1000 being a P100 & made by Partner for Mac.That was around 1970-71 if I'm not mistaken,about the same time as the SP125 was in production.I wonder why Mac had a competitor produce a saw for them when they were in their heyday?Maybe Mark can shed some light on the subject?

I had a P1000 for a while and put it on eBay 5-6 years ago. It sold for over $700! A whole lot more than what I gave. I really disliked the saw. It was weak. Maybe on par with a SP80-81.....maybe. I ran it with a 32” bar.

As far as bar length on the 82cc Macs...I’ve got more than a dozen all wearing different length bars and chains set ups. The 20” 8 tooth rim is great for this southern pine. I’ve got 36” for milling and a 34” for falling, and everything else in between.

I’ve come to really dislike the pm800 and later compared to the old models. I’m currently selling them all off. I’ll keep the 80’s, 81s, and 850s. The later models are weaker and heavier and I just do not like them in comparison to the older 82cc saws.

I’ve got a 200+psi SP81 that I need to get out to work soon. I’ve never had one have that much compression and this one is by far the most insane saw ever. I did nothing special to it, it just turned out that way. If I ever decide to start using it I should probably put a 404 chain because it will more than likely break at 375 chain.

I recently sold a double eagle 80on eBay and I’m glad to see it go. I never used it because it was just too heavy and not near as strong to justify its weight. Next is the pro Mac 8200 which is currently on eBay and it is also too heavy for its power but it does seem to run a little bit better than the double eagle. Next will be the 805 and several 800s.

Are the 80,81and 850s the one with the decomp?
Yeah there are some designs on the 800 that could use some improvements ! Like the 2lb muffler!
Joey I'd love to see a few cuts with the 200 psi saw!
80,81,850 had the pop up style out the back by the spark plug yes. Some 800 have them out the side above the exhaust screen. My de80 also has a popup style out the side. Some 805 were drilled for one but didnt have one. The other style is of course the Q port exhaust.

The 800 muffler isn't actually all that heavy it looks like it would be but not too bad. The extra pork is in the castings.

I actually find the 800 with the old exhaust duct and a very open outlet is every bit as strong up high in the rpm range. The 850 can really lug down lower with the long bar. A 20 or 24 the 800 loves with that exhaust

The 800 muffler isn't actually all that heavy it looks like it would be but not too bad. The extra pork is in the castings.

I actually find the 800 with the old exhaust duct and a very open outlet is every bit as strong up high in the rpm range. The 850 can really lug down lower with the long bar. A 20 or 24 the 800 loves with that exhaust
Agreed, my 8200 has an 850 muffler on it and it really runs great with that on it. Not your 800 great but better than the big can muffler. Better flow

Latest posts

Back