McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's $50 score. PM 55. First 57cc I've had. Bought it as a runner. I threw a Homelite 24inch bar on it with a new chain and proceeded to noodel a bunch of big wood. The thing rips pretty good.
d126f15e31372c3fdaf6c985cc232f1a.jpg
5b63ff11422db03dfa95b2abd978673c.jpg
f3c0e419dc451353fc2b96acae51e375.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Anyone know where I can find the crank bearing 63429b for my 3-10? Or a cross-referenced number? Thanks

As far as I know, there is no current replacement bearing available for the flywheel side crankshaft bearing that has the wide outer race that the seal presses into referenced by your part number. You can use the 600 Series bearing and seal, narrower outer race and the seal O.D. matches the bearing O.D. so they fit side by side on the crankshaft. This combination was also found on some of the 10 Series saws but I have never tried to sort them out by model and serial number. The bearing is McCulloch PN 67905 and the seal is 110260 or 67906. Bob Johnson (607 638 9297) has the bearings and seals but you can likely get some from a good bearing shop just matching the shaft and bore diameter. .

The PTO side bearing is BH-108 and the seal is SKF 6119.

Mark

Hey guys, I got a PM555 that I just freshened up with a carb kit, electronic ignition and new plug. Starts first pull cold! I have a question about the muffler though. It appears the little reed inside the muffler may be broken? Watch the video for explanation. I’m guessing it’s not supposed to be like that? If it is broken, it is okay to run the saw like that or could there be a potential catastrophic failure?

Hey guys, I got a PM555 that I just freshened up with a carb kit, electronic ignition and new plug. Starts first pull cold! I have a question about the muffler though. It appears the little reed inside the muffler may be broken? Watch the video for explanation. I’m guessing it’s not supposed to be like that? If it is broken, it is okay to run the saw like that or could there be a potential catastrophic failure?

I usually remove the reed valve in the muffler. I case it breaks and ends up in the cylinder ,wreckage ensues.
I ad a screen if sparks are a concern.

Yup, adjuster slots are drilled through to the bar groove, just needed to fab up an s clip to take up the space in the bar slot.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I know a bunch of the Poulan saws and 2 XL-12s I have gotten have the bigger homelite bars with an S spacer.

What a disappointment Dan...I was hoping to get the PM6 from you after you closed the deal...

Aaron - you want to get any loose bits out of that muffler to prevent anything from getting sucked back into the cylinder. You will have to come up with your own design on installing a screen since the reed type mufflers did not have that provision.

I had visitors yesterday, jp233 came all the way from Michigan to deliver a McCulloch non chainsaw item. I'll get some photos up in the coming days, until then here is Pat and his son Garret in the new shop.

20200912_203828.jpg

Mark

G'day
I've been playing with an old 650 and have a question I'm hoping someone has an answer to...
Occasionally the starter locks up & will not free up. If i remove the starter, it & the flywheel turn freely? I'll put it back together & it will be okay & then just lock up again. I can't see any obvious cause to why it is happening.
I'm not really that familiar with common issues on these old front tank Macs, Thinking it maybe something common?
Thanks in advance!
mac650.jpg

I had that happen on one of those saws back before I knew how to work on a saw, one of the plastic recoil bushings was causing it to bind for whatever reason. I tried cleaning both surfaces the bushing touched to no avail so I just chucked it and am running the recoil without it. I’ll probably regret chucking the bushing one of these days...

G'day
I've been playing with an old 650 and have a question I'm hoping someone has an answer to...
Occasionally the starter locks up & will not free up. If i remove the starter, it & the flywheel turn freely? I'll put it back together & it will be okay & then just lock up again. I can't see any obvious cause to why it is happening.
I'm not really that familiar with common issues on these old front tank Macs, Thinking it maybe something common?
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 854902
Nice saw.

I had a decent parts 10-10 louvered muffler laying around and had swapped that one in and the broken reed one out. Sounds great and runs real strong!! Kind of a pain to get the muffler off and on but I got her done..

Glad I could help the museum and bring a Mac non-chainsaw item that you didn't already have! I hope it makes a great addition. The museum/shop is ridiculous, it's McDonalds (I'm lovin it).... 1,000 miles of driving = totally worth it

Studying that pic and mine closely to see if I can pick out the missing Kindle that somehow disappeared, haha!

I really dug the checkered flag Mac logo..... had never seen it before.

Hope it cleans up nice and, if you get the urge heck, try to run it!!

Latest posts

Back