McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to hold the choke in with my thumb, it doesn't lock. I'm used to starting on the ground with my foot through but that doesn't work so well with this. Short bar so hard to start by leaning it on a stump or log, when I pull the cord it wants to jump around and bite me. :crazy2:
Ah, okay. If it has the same setup as my 5-10 dsp, slide it (edit: the choke button/lever thingy) forward while pushing down to lock it. As for actually pulling it, either become left handed or drop start it. I'm currently working on doing both.

Starting a RH saw is easiest if you put it on a log or a work bench, hold the throttle open with your left hand and pull it with the right hand. Use the primer or choke as needed.

Clint - the electronic coil can only be fit on models that were specifically designed to accept the electronic ignition coil or a few that would accept either type of ignition. The mounts for the coils are different.

This is a points only block.

871854.jpg

The block on the left is electronic ignition only, the one on the right will accept either points or electronic ignition coils if you have the proper spacer.

DSC01949.JPG

Mark

Hi Mogulmasher

Can you show me how that idle adjuster screw sits against your carb? My 7-10A screw even when screwed right in seems to barely touch the lever on the carby - I haven't had it fully running yet (waiting on fuel tank gasket) so I cannot say for sure that it does nothing but it looks like it would have next to no impact on the idle.
Here you go Little Jerry. Like I said looks to be barely touching it.20210310_220258.jpg20210310_220243.jpg

Spend 5 minutes pulling it over, notice the kill switch is on.... oh wait, you said recommended, not typical. My bad.

With one saw I repaired and sold on ebay, I got a message back a few days later and the buyer was asking if there were any "tricks" to get it started. I replied, "I'm not trying to be insulting when I say this, but did you make sure the switch was on?" Never did hear back.

We've all been there. Why won't this thing sta... oh. :nofunny:

With one saw I repaired and sold on ebay, I got a message back a few days later and the buyer was asking if there were any "tricks" to get it started. I replied, "I'm not trying to be insulting when I say this, but did you make sure the switch was on?" Never did hear back.

We've all been there. Why won't this thing sta... oh. :nofunny:

A Pioneer 1200 kill switch works opposite from a McCulloch 10-10. I had to look real close to see. [emoji90]

Yeah I've got my left hand on the handle/throttle with left thumb on choke, right hand on starter.
I might try with it held between my legs. :oops:

Full throttle?
As my dad would say, "Well, that's something you'll only try once!" Full throttle works for some people, I figure it's worth a shot.
Nice! I've had two of those, one even ran once and I cut some cedar with it. No muffler, loud and shaky as hell, but that experience and the fact that my dad used to have a 10-10 are why I pick up old Macs. However, I'd have given them away in a heartbeat if someone had asked. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.
Side note:
I picked two expansion plugs today and am getting new bearings/seals for my 1-43 tomorrow so I'll probably be cleaning and re-assembling it soon. However, I'm seeing the docs on Monday so I might have to re-prioritize stuff in preparation for another surgery, in which case the Mac will become the least of my priorities.

Starting a RH saw is easiest if you put it on a log or a work bench, hold the throttle open with your left hand and pull it with the right hand. Use the primer or choke as needed.

Clint - the electronic coil can only be fit on models that were specifically designed to accept the electronic ignition coil or a few that would accept either type of ignition. The mounts for the coils are different.

This is a points only block.

View attachment 894050

The block on the left is electronic ignition only, the one on the right will accept either points or electronic ignition coils if you have the proper spacer.

View attachment 894054

Mark
Thank you very much Mark.

Little Jerrry said:
Hi Mogulmasher

Can you show me how that idle adjuster screw sits against your carb? My 7-10A screw even when screwed right in seems to barely touch the lever on the carby - I haven't had it fully running yet (waiting on fuel tank gasket) so I cannot say for sure that it does nothing but it looks like it would have next to no impact on the idle.
Here you go Little Jerry. Like I said looks to be barely touching it.

Thanks mate, I must have a different carby - I think its an SDC 61 or something like that..It's screwed pretty much all the way in and I think barely touching the throttle arm.

Still waiting on a new tank gasket and sealing ring so will know soon enough...Im in a good mood as I got an old Echo 750VL running today after finally finding a replacement ignition coil from the good old USA - now all my old saws run (only have 4)

maccarb.jpg

Here you go Little Jerry. Like I said looks to be barely touching it.

Thanks mate, I must have a different carby - I think its an SDC 61 or something like that..It's screwed pretty much all the way in and I think barely touching the throttle arm.

Still waiting on a new tank gasket and sealing ring so will know soon enough...Im in a good mood as I got an old Echo 750VL running today after finally finding a replacement ignition coil from the good old USA - now all my old saws run (only have 4)

View attachment 894100
Something else is going on with that set up?
You see on the other carb how it has the folded top for the idle adjustment screw to press against? Yours should be the same.
Take a picture of the side if you can.

As my dad would say, "Well, that's something you'll only try once!" Full throttle works for some people, I figure it's worth a shot.

Nice! I've had two of those, one even ran once and I cut some cedar with it. No muffler, loud and shaky as hell, but that experience and the fact that my dad used to have a 10-10 are why I pick up old Macs. However, I'd have given them away in a heartbeat if someone had asked. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.
Side note:
I picked two expansion plugs today and am getting new bearings/seals for my 1-43 tomorrow so I'll probably be cleaning and re-assembling it soon. However, I'm seeing the docs on Monday so I might have to re-prioritize stuff in preparation for another surgery, in which case the Mac will become the least of my priorities.
It should look good hanging next to my 1-70. I’m optimistic I can get it running given the condition of the fuel tank even though I know the carburetor on these things is some Rube Goldberg design lol.

The saw looks like a piece o' cake,. but good luck with those onions.
The onions will be fine they grow real well around here. Walla Walla sweets. The Mac I’m hoping doesn’t need a whole lot to get running. Tank is remarkably clean for its age

Back