McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210314_113604.jpg20210314_113618.jpg
20210314_113632.jpg
So after the complete rebuild the saw the tank developed a small leak about an inch in front of the handle mount. The oiler was not keeping up the way I like also.
I opened the oil tank and the adjustment screw was about bottomed out in the oiler? Would have been nice if I had noticed that during assembly ( fixed).
After some research I followed Marks suggestions and bought a can of Red-kote for the tank. I did the minimum amount of prep work since I just cleaned and rebuilt the whole saw, blocked the fuel line port and used a can of brake cleaner.
Let me just tell/warn you guys my little craft corner quickly became a Sh¡t Show of epic proportions with the tank sealer.
I made a funnel out of a paper plate and then attempted to pour the sealer straight from the can , this did not work so well! It literally ran down the side and all over the place then I poured too much into the tank and got more sealer on my gloves! Now I had a real mess going on , down in the carb box all over my bench and gloves! So I had wrapped the gas cap in a sandwich bag for swirling the sealer around and put it in place . I quickly" tried" to get as much sealer off the new paint job and handle as possible, but it cures and sticks and becomes long sticky strands of madness!
Anyway its cured and I didn't screw up too much of the paint. Forewarned!

Ran my 7-10 in some wood for the first time today. Didn't have my phone with me for some pics/video, and only mad a few quick cuts and tuned it in. Wow! I'm very pleased this saw is exactly what they are hyped up to be. I've had a couple pm700 and this saw is definitely stronger.

I guess I am going to have to take a look through my saws in the little garage, based on my photos I have two CP70 and two CP70L saws around and I only remember seeing three of them.

I have a couple of CP55 saws as well and they are a pleasure to run. It is interesting that the CP55 block was prepared for the DSP valve but they were not used. I also like the covers with the plastic snap in grid.

CP 55 1.jpg

This is the CP70 I seemed to have lost track of. For what it's worth, that is the same snap in grid that is used on the 700 and 800 model saws like the 797 and 895.

DSC03657.JPG

Maint Sup - here are a couple more spikes for the older 10 Series covers.

H&S

CP 70 1.jpg

20210107_175832.jpg

You've seen this one before.

DSC02954.JPG

This one was intended for the gear drive saws but also fits the cover on the direct drive saws.

DSC02966.JPG

Another H&S

DSC02946.JPG

Mark

Poge,the 1st page on Acres' site come up just fine,but if you click on the next page it just brings you right back to the 1st page again.It won't go to the next page.

M.S.,I like to look at different models that I might be buying in the future.Bookmarking the ones I already have is pointless as I have IPLs for them.

Gents

First start of the McCulloch 7-10A today (well first start with fuel in the tank)...yes I put the sticker on upside down.....the carb has a small gasket leak of fuel, the fuel cap leaks but she runs....

The carb (SDC 61 I believe) only has one adjuster for low speed, it has been rebuilt and in the quick minute i had it running this is the best I could get it to run....bit slow to rev up....adjust the screw a turn one way either side and she bogs down even worse and stalls out. It has an ignition chip....could it be a timing issue?

It's running way too rich yeah? It's got oil leaking out the sparkplug hole (just hand tightened) and muffler

I
Gents

First start of the McCulloch 7-10A today (well first start with fuel in the tank)...yes I put the sticker on upside down.....the carb has a small gasket leak of fuel, the fuel cap leaks but she runs....

The carb (SDC 61 I believe) only has one adjuster for low speed, it has been rebuilt and in the quick minute i had it running this is the best I could get it to run....bit slow to rev up....adjust the screw a turn one way either side and she bogs down even worse and stalls out. It has an ignition chip....could it be a timing issue?

M gonna say fuel related. Too much fuel. You have good spark if it fires with so much fuel running out. First fix the leak. Then take that carburetor apart and see why its putting so much fuel in there. Either the the metering lever is set high, the metering diaphragm is not in the yoke, or the needle is not sealing off. It could be something else but id start there.

Thanks vinny...I'll pull it down and hopefully as you say, I just have the metering too high and pouring in fuel.

Back