McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PM650 had a very peculiar problem, would not oil correctly...changed the new pump for a good used one, still pumping air. I decided it must be the pick up hose connection so I tore it all down again, hose, pick up, and clamps were fine, still pulling air. Finally I tried to pressurize the line to see where it was leaking and there was a flaw in the crankcase bottom casting right above the pick up nipple, looked almost like someone had tried to punch a hole there. I drilled & tapped for a short set screw, installed it with red LocTite and problem solved. That only took 4 or 5 hours more that necessary.

Mark

Since we are on the subject of 10- series saws. I pieced this one together over the christmas break. Its a mix up of 1-10 and early 1010 parts. Has the cast metal style auto oil pump. The small fasteners for the air box to cylinder intake flange, and i needed to drill out the extra hole in the top of the oil tank for the front mount on the gas tank.

All the parts got blasted, primed and painted then clear coated. New seals, bearings and rings were fine. The 1-10 parts of the saw didn't see much use as the bullfrog carb probably didn't last long, so the entire saw was pretty much mint when i got it.

20220124_161630.jpg

had the nice oregeon roller nose (20") that i hung on it. Had to make a spike out of some plate that was laying around. Should be good enough for firewood. First time i've had a right hand start 10 series.

20220124_161644.jpg

20220124_161649.jpg

Getting back to this Super 250, I cleaned up around the saw to realize the fuel line was a 2 piece. The fuel line/filter in the tank that came with saw seems to work well. Added some line I had on had and wired up a temp clamp. Bought a 3/4 10-24 screw for one missing from fuel tankcover. Muffler decarboned, rinsed the tank once, gassed it up. ONce I primed the carb a couple times it sucked fuel right into it pretty quickly. Primed and kept slow feeding it a few seconds to eventually get it running to where I could open up the low and increase Idle a bit and runs and idles well. Restart with no issue. super250 fuelline.jpegsuper250 RIGGED fuelline 1.jpegsuper250 RIGGED fuelline.jpeg

So, I got this without an airbox cover. I thought the one I picked up off ebay was for a super 250. Now, in looking at pics on the web every super 250 I see is the longer cover that goes over the oil tank too. Maybe McCulloch used both? I probably just looked at the acres site and saw the later model super 250 there without the longer cover. Just fyi in case someone else looks.
You can see a broken bar cover top in the 3rd pic which that's about the worst thing on the saw that I've found so far. Another little hunk missing on the 24" bar but I dont think that's original to the saw....if you know let me know. I'll sharpen the chain and test some cuts, call this one good for now. super250 8.jpegsuper250 10.jpegsuper250 11.jpeg

Wanted to thank @northwest saws for sending me the starter cover. He told me it had some mag rot but it weren't too bad and for shipping only. Anyway, some JB weld to cover the missing metal. The area by the start handle in first pic popped out on second pull....LOL. Just have to make sure to pull straight up for now. super250 recoil JB WELD 5.jpegsuper250 recoil JB WELD 4.jpeg

I sent the correct file this time
.mov files don't open in a post like YouTube links. Hafta download the file to watch it..., at least on my laptop using Chrome. You should get a YouTube account. Easy peasy.

And dude, c'mon. A hollow log? I was waitin' for a 'possum to come runnin' out!

The saw sounds good, but I think the rakers might be a little high. ;)

Back