McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a bit of a head scratcher for you. As I am sorting through things I seem to become more confused by the way McCulloch changed parts and part numbers when they all served the same function. Consider the intake boot used on the various AV 10 Series models...so far I have identified at least 7 different part numbers and at least 4 different configurations for the same functional part.

Add 213897 to this list...
View attachment 972482

As best I can determine:

View attachment 972483

View attachment 972484

View attachment 972488

View attachment 972489

And this week I found yet another permutation. See the difference between the two?

View attachment 972490

The good news is I have plenty of each type if anyone has a need.

With The Duke and others providing boots for the CP/SP125 type saws we should be set for a while.

Mark
I understand. I got two types of boots here myself. Funny how some PN's carry through the IPLs, and some don't. And then there's the Boot Kit which I have 3 of, and they are not uniform boot wise either. lol!boot kit.JPG

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee. Shirt sleeve weather with highs in the 70s and no wind. A perfect day for felling, but alas the woodlot needs logs so more hauling duty. Ground is still too wet so we are down to Plan C. Drag a trailer with the dozer. I tried it after work; it worked fine until dozer ran out of fuel.
IMG_6809.JPG

Wait that was yesterday, today we have snow with temps in the 20s going down to 10 tonight and a howling wind. Woodlot shut down. So I fired the wood stove and spend the morning in the basement organizing MAC parts - thanks for the incentive, Clint & Mark. I warned my wife when she asked what I had been doing all morning that she wouldn't be able to tell that I had done anything.
IMG_6811.JPGIMG_6812.JPG

Anyway, I have two freebies for the postage - what appears to be an aluminum pre-padding ten series handle in good shape and appearance and a 81DL .325 chain with most of its life left.
IMG_6813.JPGIMG_6814.JPG

Be safe.

Ron

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee. Shirt sleeve weather with highs in the 70s and no wind. A perfect day for felling, but alas the woodlot needs logs so more hauling duty. Ground is still too wet so we are down to Plan C. Drag a trailer with the dozer. I tried it after work; it worked fine until dozer ran out of fuel.
View attachment 972659

Wait that was yesterday, today we have snow with temps in the 20s going down to 10 tonight and a howling wind. Woodlot shut down. So I fired the wood stove and spend the morning in the basement organizing MAC parts - thanks for the incentive, Clint & Mark. I warned my wife when she asked what I had been doing all morning that she wouldn't be able to tell that I had done anything.
View attachment 972661View attachment 972662

Anyway, I have two freebies for the postage - what appears to be an aluminum pre-padding ten series handle in good shape and appearance and a 81DL .325 chain with most of its life left.
View attachment 972663View attachment 972664

Be safe.

Ron
Damn global warming Ron! It's was furries in the mountains this morning in South Carolina! I thought I was about done cutting fire wood.
Anyway

One thing that I often look for is unpainted cylinders on a McCulloch saw Clint, not always but sometimes it indicates that its a replacement cylinder and usually in good shape.
The next time I go through the parts, I will look more closely at the cylinder's. The one's I did look at yesterday were good. The man knew how to tune carbs.
I was going to do it today but the temperature never got above 34° and it's snowed, sleeted, rained with the wind howling all day. Plus we haven't had electricity all day. So I've gotten nothing done.

The next time I go through the parts, I will look more closely at the cylinder's. The one's I did look at yesterday were good. The man knew how to tune carbs.
I was going to do it today but the temperature never got above 34° and it's snowed, sleeted, rained with the wind howling all day. Plus we haven't had electricity all day. So I've gotten nothing done.
Have to start looking for the McCulloch generators.

I had 190K BTU of heat going in the shop. 55 was the highest it got. after 5 hours. I decided to go inside, bout got blown over going to house. Not an outside day round here today. hope your power is back on.

I spent some time with a PM 700 today. The snow is not good for driving the truck in so I hooked a sled to one of my sleds. It work pretty good but after 5 trips I was done for the day.View attachment 972762
Had my 700 out on that walnut today. She came out to show her stuff when it came time to noodle the big ones down to size!

I spent some time with a PM 700 today. The snow is not good for driving the truck in so I hooked a sled to one of my sleds. It work pretty good but after 5 trips I was done for the day.View attachment 972762
Nice old snowmobile, an older Yamaha? I used to have an old 250 Enticer. No guts at all and terrible with turns but it was still fun to ride around in.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I am working on a Promac 800 that had a bad piston, (was able to clean up the cylinder ok) One thing I noticed is that there was quite a bit of chain oil in the crankcase when I took it apart. I know the oiler is connected to the hole in the bottom of the clamshell, is this an issue I should address?
I have a piston coming from lilredbarn, the crank seals look good but I will pressure test before I run it.
(I think the issue for the bad piston was where the carb boot joins the bottom of the handle was not sealing properly. )
Anything else to look out for?

Yes, the piston from lrb. The wrist pin cannot be used. Its undersized. Use your original pin. If your bearings are fine id reuse them too.

On the oil, maybe replace the oil pump gasket. It may be damaged. Possible it contributed to the piston damage. Hard to tell at this point. Its 530am here. Theres likely more but its early.

thanks for the help, I haven't worked on this one before, it was given to me by a dear friend who has passed. I finally dug it out and am working on it. (been sitting for 10 years.) the saw was low hours when it seized (his son was using it) so it is in good shape otherwise. I have most of the parts on order, I am waiting till payday for the rest, I think while I have it apart I will do the crank seals.
the piston pin and bearings are good so I will reuse them as you said.

Back