McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Syncop8r that's not a 7-10 judging by the exhaust port. 57 or
I agree, my thoughts are a 10-10s or a 555 block. I had this very discussion with Mark the other day. Hopefully he will chime in with his knowledge. I was told by my uncle that the divided exhaust port was never used on the 70cc saws. I had a mystery saw i picked up a few months ago much the same. 10-10 tank and tag with a Decomp button. It was in need of a muffler and had the full open rectangle exhaust port. I measured the piston before I put the muffler on 1.99 So its a 700 block. BTW nasty little sucker. So much so, Its won a spot in my work saw collection lol.

Another possible clue is it has no chain brake.
I had wondered if it could be a PM55 but the muffler is different. Of course they can be changed but perhaps not so likely here with not so many Macs around.

Yeah can't really make any clues of those bits on a 10 series.

This little country is full of Mac's. McCulloch was huge here a dealer every half an hour drive. We are just a bit late to the party is all.

Just gotta find them. Stashed away under benches in old sheds.

Put a sign out on the highway. Get the word out n thail start coming. Fix up the 610s and others n sell em on

So as you guys here know from time to time I talk about my Father, my Uncle, and the introduction through them I had to these old yellow saws, which I have come to relish in so many ways. Way back about 1980 we would go to the mountains to cut wood, Dad, Uncle Gary, and myself. Dad would have his SP 81 (You have heard the story about it), Uncle Gary would have one of his 81’s or 850’s and a 7-10, and me all I ever got to run was Dad’s 10-10A. We would go and cut a full day, bringing two truck loads home and leaving more ready for another load another day. I was not allowed to run the 82cc saws then, just that little 10-10A. It was a cantankerous saw. Start good cold, run ok but would not start once you shut it off hot until it cooled back down. It got worse and worse, until Dad gave it to my Uncle. Come to find out when it got hot the compression was dropping. Uncle put a used block from another 10-10 in it got her right and sat on a shelf. That was many years ago. A few weeks ago Uncle and I were talking about some other saws and he pointed to the 10-10A and said that’s the saw that you started on. Now I can tell you back in the day the best thing I remember about that saw was the day Dad got rid of it, but much has changed, I realize that saw is why I am here and have my love of old Macs. So today after 42 years that first old 10-10A came home. It has sat for 20 plus years. I dumped the fuel, squirted some fresh up the muffler, nothing. I pulled the plug and checked the fire, didn’t seem as good as I hoped. I swapped plug for a new one, looked much better. A squirt of fuel in the cylinder, she popped. I fueled her and coached it to life. Surprisingly, (though she could use a carb kit) she runs. I wiped her down a bit with a tear in my eye and a smile in my heart. The old girl that started it all for a young man came home today. Like I have said before: My saws are so much more that yellow and black, they take me back to a simpler time when the world was a smaller place and the men in my life were giants. Thanks for the read.Maxs first Mac 10-10A.jpg

So as you guys here know from time to time I talk about my Father, my Uncle, and the introduction through them I had to these old yellow saws, which I have come to relish in so many ways. Way back about 1980 we would go to the mountains to cut wood, Dad, Uncle Gary, and myself. Dad would have his SP 81 (You have heard the story about it), Uncle Gary would have one of his 81’s or 850’s and a 7-10, and me all I ever got to run was Dad’s 10-10A. We would go and cut a full day, bringing two truck loads home and leaving more ready for another load another day. I was not allowed to run the 82cc saws then, just that little 10-10A. It was a cantankerous saw. Start good cold, run ok but would not start once you shut it off hot until it cooled back down. It got worse and worse, until Dad gave it to my Uncle. Come to find out when it got hot the compression was dropping. Uncle put a used block from another 10-10 in it got her right and sat on a shelf. That was many years ago. A few weeks ago Uncle and I were talking about some other saws and he pointed to the 10-10A and said that’s the saw that you started on. Now I can tell you back in the day the best thing I remember about that saw was the day Dad got rid of it, but much has changed, I realize that saw is why I am here and have my love of old Macs. So today after 42 years that first old 10-10A came home. It has sat for 20 plus years. I dumped the fuel, squirted some fresh up the muffler, nothing. I pulled the plug and checked the fire, didn’t seem as good as I hoped. I swapped plug for a new one, looked much better. A squirt of fuel in the cylinder, she popped. I fueled her and coached it to life. Surprisingly, (though she could use a carb kit) she runs. I wiped her down a bit with a tear in my eye and a smile in my heart. The old girl that started it all for a young man came home today. Like I have said before: My saws are some much more that yellow and black, they take me back to a simpler time when the world was a smaller place and the men in my life were giants. Thanks for the read.View attachment 973966
Best read of the day sir!!
Glad you got er back!!

Another possible clue is it has no chain brake.
I had wondered if it could be a PM55 but the muffler is different. Of course they can be changed but perhaps not so likely here with not so many Macs around.

I agree it could be a 55. It could also be a PM60. I don't believe it's a 555 or 10-10S as I don't think those units ever came with a points ignition.
I'm not sure as I don't have access to an IPL but it could also be a Super 10-10

So a couple summers back a young man answered my WTB add I had out. I made arrangements to drive about 1.5 hours and meet him. Among the saws he had was a beat up 7-10A. It was rough but had real good compression. I liked the young man and his desire to learn to fix old saws. We talked a good while and I decided to offer him some cash for that 7-10A, as much to help the young man as anything because I was thrilled to see him interested in old yellow saws.

So I bring this ragged old 7-10A home. Throw it on the bench and there is sat. And sit it did for months. Then one day I decided to tear it down. My god what a mess! Woodscrews in places, handle bar almost cut in two, coil cracked, and other misc. stuff. I took the tank down resealed it took the trigger, and other hardware out, got a new handle out of parts, an new coil, degreased and cleaned in prep for painting the tank , motor shield, and recoil cover. Then laid it up. After more time passed I decided to paint some on it. Then I got busy and didn’t finish the paint. A couple months more passed before I got around to finishing painting everything. Than once again the parts just laid around. Well three months ago I decided to assemble the saw. Uncle is always ready to lend a hand so I haul the box of parts to his place and we begin. It was only after putting all the hardware back in the fuel tank that I realized the tank yellow is a bit off compared to the other pieces. Oh well, work saw no biggie. So I reassembled the saw. I had to add helicoils in places, but it went back together as it should. I decided to chip this saw, having done one a few years back that I never got right I was skeptical but everyone raves about them. (I left the points and condenser in just in case). So we get her together, and I check fire she’s hot. I take her outside and squirt some fuel up the muffler she pops. So I then add fuel to the tank and as I attempt to start her fuel runs onto my boots. WTH I think, fuel is running out of the front tank seam. Now mind you I resealed and checked this tank, it did not leak. Upon inspection it appeared the tank upper was bent and when I tightened down the back screw it caused the tank to flex and break the seal at the front. Oh well junk saws, ya’ll know how it can go. So off the parts shed and grab a tank top. When I slap in on the saw it looks the same way. Wow Uncle says, “I have never seen that before”. The bottom half of the tank assembly is bent. There are no marks, or signs of some catastrophic damage. Sorta perplexing. So off to the parts shed to grab a complete 700 tank. I check it for leaks, and we slap it on the 7-10A. At this point we put her back together I head to the house and put her in the shop. The next day I grab the squirt can and shoot some fuel up the muffler. She pops. I fuel her, no leaking tank! I am thinking I got this, new fuel lines filter and carb rebuilt, new muffler, she’s gonna run like a scalded dog like so many have before. Then I pull, I pull, and I pull, finally she runs…. Well sort of, like bogging out at WOT sorta run. I can’t keep her running enough to even try to adjust her out. Over the next week as time allowed, I swapped carbs, checked compression, plug, I scratched my head time and time again. I talked it over several times with Uncle and we were like “ I don’t know” I finally sat her up on a shelf and walked away. I went through several saws afterwards over the next month. All wins. Once I even had the carb off of the 7-10A and used it to test another 700, it ran like a top. So today I looked down the bench to the non-runners. An 850 with an air leak, an 800 that needs a complete going over plus parts, and the 7-10A. Ok I said to myself, put the carb on it and dig in. And I did. I pulled the recoil cover because I had decided to unhook the chip and reconnect the points. But before I did I sent a picture of the chip setup to a saw buddy that is here on this forum. He’s got experience with chips. I said does this look right? He replied…NO! He said switch the kill switch wire and the chip wire on the coil. So I did, and VROOM VROOM VROOM, another strong 70cc Mac. Now this saw started out to be so pretty but the clutch plate broke, the tank was swapped and now it also is a Frankeinsaw lol. Just another two-year saga that ended with another revived old Mac. It also proves my saying “Ya Don’t Know What Ya Don’t Know”. But I do know more about ignition chips now lol. Later Gentlemen, I got hot Squirrel and Dumplings waiting on me!7-10A alvie finally.JPG

My god what a mess! Woodscrews in places, handle bar almost cut in two, coil cracked, and other misc. stuff.
Speaking of such things... this staple dropped out of the bottom mystery saw as I was dismantling it (perhaps it was used as a spacer?) and the plastic disc was loose in the oil tank (which was full of jet-black oil).
IMG_20220318_133040.jpg

I don't know if anyone has figured those numbers out.
A good way to start would be the measure the bore.

Put a straw or better still, a popsicle stick down into the middle of the bore touching the back wall of the cylinder and bring the piston up so it marks the stick and measure from the end of the stick to the mark.

54cc 1.75", 58cc 1.812", 60cc 1.875"

I don't know if anyone has figured those numbers out.
A good way to start would be the measure the bore.

Put a straw or better still, a popsicle stick down into the middle of the bore touching the back wall of the cylinder and bring the piston up so it marks the stick and measure from the end of the stick to the mark.

54cc 1.75", 58cc 1.812", 60cc 1.875"
Using a straw I get 48mm which is about 1.890". Seems like it's 60cc then?

PM60 according to Chainsaw Collectors Corner:
1647566183089.png

Actually Mark suggested it might be this a while back (after I mentioned the throttle latch on the side):
That limits it to pre 1976 models which would have had the throttle release/latch in the top of the rear handle. Most likely and early PM55 or PM60. The PM60 is 1.870" bore which should be detectable even with a straw.

Using a straw I get 48mm which is about 1.890". Seems like it's 60cc then?

I see this for PM 60 at Chainsaw Collectors Corner:

Actually Mark suggested it might be this a while back (after I mentioned the throttle latch on the side):
That would be a good find.

I need a little advice, I was gifted a 10-10S with a bow bar and manual oiler. I used it for the first time today and love it, bucking logs on the ground is way easier with this, but realized I am not sure how much and when I need to use the manual oiler. My 2 999f saws have auto plus manual oilers, but I need to make sure I don't burn up the bow or chain on this one.

Back