McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it?
Looks like maybe the bigger brother to this guy in my pile?

Rem 754.jpg
That 1-51 in front looked mighty nice. Kinda hard to tell about the others.

This walked into the shop yesterday. Been on FB twice at $85 for damned near a year and a half as 'chain saw'. I contacted the guy last fall explaining that I ran a shelter for lonely and wayward McCullochs in need of comfort and companionship in their waning years. Told him I'd be more than willing to take it off his hands and ease his conscience as it would be among many new friends with a better than reasonable chance it would actually run once more. He got a kick out of the approach, but wasn't giving it up that easy -- until yesterday. Stopped by with a couple off brands needing attention and asked if I still had some extra room among the herd for his sad and lonely Mac. Of course! A happy day for all involved.

Nice saw with very little use. Pretty clean considering I believe it pre-dates my August 1965 250 IPL by 66,000 serial numbers. Compression, spark and a clean fuel tank. Feels good pulling it over, but will need going over before I try starting it. Here she is in all that typically un-sexy 250 glory. I like her anyway.

Latest 250.jpg

250 Tag.jpg

Someone called on Thursday looking for some parts, I knew they were listed in the inventory but I hadn't gotten to those boxes yet so I did a little digging. I won't post any photos of what I found along the way but I will say there are a few more treasures to be uncovered.

Sorry guys, no motherload of SP125 cylinders or anything like that but let's say we won't be running out of the anti-vibe mounts for a while.

Mark
Ten series AV or large frame AV? Ron

I see a large frame mac back there!
8a20024b278dd8aa8ba38af156f38b80.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee today. Temps from high 30s into the 60s, no wind - but no felling either as wood lot needs logs. So morning spent loading trailers. I took my 700 just in case some logs were too long. There was one. While waiting for trailers to return, I scouted out the woods trying to find a nice ash I felled several months ago. I didn't make it to where I think it is as two down red oaks caught my attention. The 700 severed the tops and root balls with ease though all but one top cut was greater than bar length.
Smaller of the two.
IMG_6869.JPG

Larger one.
IMG_6872.JPG

Large one made a 48 foot log and small one made a 32 foot log. No problem for the JD 750B.
IMG_6873.JPG
IMG_6878.JPG

Continued
Ron

I ended up bucking both with the 700 while waiting for the trailer to arrive. Well, almost. On the last cut, the recoil rope broke but the 700 started anyway. The almost was an uncut tip or two discovered after I shut the cordless 700 off.

I took some shots last week of our new wood lot. If any of you have/had a Buick V-6 in the 90s, the aluminum intake was likely made in the building that used to sit here.

IMG_6862.JPGIMG_6859.JPG

Last week, Poge asked about hitting the truck with the tall poplar. Nope, the tree was felled many weeks before the truck was on-site. Good thing, for sure. Here is my misadventure Thursday night when I took the rough back route to stay off the steep but relatively smooth route. Load slid forward, one log slid even more forward. So much for using a single strap on a rough route that has no place for you to stop and check until it is too late.
IMG_6867.JPGIMG_6868.JPG

The county has brought in reinforcements for me - a Cat D7H.
IMG_6866.JPG
So far I have turned down the opportunity, but I am beginning to soften to the idea - at least taking it for a spin.

Be safe.

Ron

Ron - Yes, the lower mounts in particular but all of them are in pretty good supply for now. I also have an overabundance of the intake boots for the 10 Series anti-vibe models.

I had a Ron Woods sort of story on Thursday...I decided it was time for some maintenance on the 3D printer...after all the first round routine items were all addressed it would not function...ended up with a broken wire on the Z limit switch...then I tried changing the surface on the build plate...that didn't work...reload the system firmware 3 or 4 times and reset steps again and again...finally after 4-1/2 hours it was all working again. All's well that ends well.

Mark

I get to play with all sorts of trators ,mini ex, and chippers at work but its different when someone is paying you to work them. Kinda takes the fun factor away.
Its pretty ridiculous but when I'm running a McCulloch at work it doesn't matter what other equipment is around all eyes are on that old saw singing away.

Looks to be a Remington super 754.

Looks like maybe the bigger brother to this guy in my pile?

That 1-51 in front looked mighty nice. Kinda hard to tell about the others.

This walked into the shop yesterday. Been on FB twice at $85 for damned near a year and a half as 'chain saw'. I contacted the guy last fall explaining that I ran a shelter for lonely and wayward McCullochs in need of comfort and companionship in their waning years. Told him I'd be more than willing to take it off his hands and ease his conscience as it would be among many new friends with a better than reasonable chance it would actually run once more. He got a kick out of the approach, but wasn't giving it up that easy -- until yesterday. Stopped by with a couple off brands needing attention and asked if I still had some extra room among the herd for his sad and lonely Mac. Of course! A happy day for all involved.

Nice saw with very little use. Pretty clean considering I believe it pre-dates my August 1965 250 IPL by 66,000 serial numbers. Compression, spark and a clean fuel tank. Feels good pulling it over, but will need going over before I try starting it. Here she is in all that typically un-sexy 250 glory. I like her anyway.

I see a large frame mac back there!
8a20024b278dd8aa8ba38af156f38b80.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
It didn't work out guys. I went there and no one was there.
I didn't like what I heard from folks nearby.
I have droughts about the advertisement.
Bait and hook maybe.

Well Folks…I opened the can…and the worms are all over the table!

Ok, I finally tore into the McCulloch Super 797 and it is going ok so far. I have been bagging up all the Nuts & Bolts along the way as well as GoPro Video-ing things so I don’t forget.

I have a couple quick questions if someone can help out (unfortunately, I am afraid there will be a lot more of them along the way…) but for starters:

#1. Points: How do they actually come out? I got all the screws and connections off and it looks like they kind of “pry-out” or something…but I don’t want to break anything in the process. Attached is a picture of what I am dealing with. Do these just “Pry Out” or something?

#2. I noticed there is a slight amount of play within the Rod vs. Needle Bearings. Attached are a couple of pics showing where the Rod is slid over one direction followed the other picture of it slid over the other direction (notice that the needles show a little more once the rod is slid over). If memory serves, there is suppose to be a little free play there correct?

#3. I know I am going to run into a hunt trying to find a particular gasket (67477 Insulator Gasket). Obviously, I am going to have to fabricate this gasket…has anyone cut one of these particular ones out yet…and have suggestion on what type of gasket material to use?

Thank you in advanced for help!

Attachments

• EDB22177-D1B9-45F3-8A3E-40210949243F.jpeg
    EDB22177-D1B9-45F3-8A3E-40210949243F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • A51378DB-1932-4FD3-9450-CF050FBEA76E.jpeg
    A51378DB-1932-4FD3-9450-CF050FBEA76E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 5F721973-CB92-4513-A240-3BA5D9DB1CDE.jpeg
    5F721973-CB92-4513-A240-3BA5D9DB1CDE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
Alaskan -

1) the brass pivot extends through the point into the cover and the whole points assembly pivots around that point, they will just pry out. The modern part number for those is 88807, I have plenty if yours will not clean up.

2) Axial play is not a problem, there should be no or very little radial play.

3) 67477 is a large gasket that gets folded around the insulator, correct? I have made some from suitable gasket material without any issues. I don't remember if I have found any in the recent parts acquisitions but I will try to remember and have a look.

Mark

PM800 question, I found a black duckbill in my fuel tank (it is disassembled for a full rebuild)
Where does it go? on the bottom of the fuel cap? How is it held in? the retaining assy is missing on this saw and I am guessing that is what retains the Duckbill in place?. looked at the IPB and no luck.

PM800 question, I found a black duckbill in my fuel tank (it is disassembled for a full rebuild)
Where does it go? on the bottom of the fuel cap? How is it held in? the retaining assy is missing on this saw and I am guessing that is what retains the Duckbill in place?. looked at the IPB and no luck.
All that I have replaced are in the fuel cap with a spring to hold the duckbill in place. Both are held in by a brass plug with a hole in it so the duckbill can breath.
If you need a fuel cap, PM me I'll send you one.

Where does it go? on the bottom of the fuel cap? How is it held in? the retaining assy is missing on this saw and I am guessing that is what retains the Duckbill in place?
It most likely was a variation of this venting arrangement. There are several approaches with slight differences. All essentially function the same and are usually serviceable.

0301171819_resized.jpg

I'll dig in the tank a little more and see what else is in there. it is looking like I will need a new one with the missing bits. Just looked at the cap and I can see where something should screw into it but nothing else in the tank.

Back