McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my next project today! The DE80 showed up. Typical filthiness. Missing a few screws. Broken handlebar is a bummer. However i believe ive got a good cylinder. Just initial look thru the plug hole it looks great and is not locked up. Pretty excited bout it. Gonna be a total tear down to clean and fully assess the situation and see what all ill be needing. 98% complete though. Great score

Slightly different cap, but you get the idea. There are parts missing...

View attachment 990870

Mark
Got excited there for a minute Mark. I thought you had found a source for the springs. Springs and I apparently don't like each other. I carefully lay them in a safe place, they magically disappear lol.

Got excited there for a minute Mark. I thought you had found a source for the springs. Springs and I apparently don't like each other. I carefully lay them in a safe place, they magically disappear lol.
Stick a number 3 finish nail in the back corner of the bench and slide spring down on it when you remove them. I lost count of how many springs is took me to figure that out!!!!! Lol

The PM 55 is coming along well. Had to find another clutch cover in the parts pile, and JB a couple places on the recoil and the replacement cover. Should be up and running once paint is finished on those two parts and they set. The ultrasonic cleaner I had sitting on a shelf for 5 years has taken on a new role in the shop. It's not only is the bomb for carbs, but bolts and such come out awful pretty too. This one is gonna stay on the shelf after the test fire and a tune. I love tinkering with these old yellow saws. Notice anything about the kill switch?
55 tank top.JPG55 shiny.JPG55 block.JPG55 parts cleaned.JPG55 parts.JPG

The PM 55 is coming along well. Had to find another clutch cover in the parts pile, and JB a couple places on the recoil and the replacement cover. Should be up and running once paint is finished on those two parts and they set. The ultrasonic cleaner I had sitting on a shelf for 5 years has taken on a new role in the shop. It's not only is the bomb for carbs, but bolts and such come out awful pretty too. This one is gonna stay on the shelf after the test fire and a tune. I love tinkering with these old yellow saws. Notice anything about the kill switch?
View attachment 991073View attachment 991074View attachment 991075View attachment 991076View attachment 991078
She's looking good, I'd have to cut with it once though.

View attachment 991073View attachment 991074View attachment 991075View attachment 991076View attachment 991078
Wow nice. Yeah I have some with the off backwards too

Well the PM800 rebuild ran for about 3 mins and then locked up. (It was rich and I was cutting some old pine, not pushing it at all.) pulled it apart finally the piston had granaded red barn piston oem bearings and pin. cylinder is savable thank god. (two dings from bearings in the bottom of the intake port that should clean up.) what is my option for a piston? find a used oem? I would rather that than the red barn. and to add insult to injury the tank sealant didn't work and the paint is bubbled up.

Attachments

• IMG_4028.jpg
    IMG_4028.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4029.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4030.jpg
    IMG_4030.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
Wow nice. Yeah I have some with the off backwards too
I looked at it twice and scratched my head at first. Switch orientation correct, arrows pointing the correct way, just OFF molded upside down.
You confirmed what I suspected, McCulloch had a batch that got molded incorrect and used them anyway. I bet some employee or jobber got to have a nice discussion with management or procurement about it lol.

Well the PM800 rebuild ran for about 3 mins and then locked up. (It was rich and I was cutting some old pine, not pushing it at all.) pulled it apart finally the piston had granaded red barn piston oem bearings and pin. cylinder is savable thank god. (two dings from bearings in the bottom of the intake port that should clean up.) what is my option for a piston? find a used oem? I would rather that than the red barn. and to add insult to injury the tank sealant didn't work and the paint is bubbled up.
I live 30 minutes from Little Red Barn. I know some of their folks, great people. But those pistons, and wrist pins have high failure rates.
You are lucky you didn't lose your jug. Reach out to Mark H. on here. I understand he has NOS A,B, and C pistons. put original stuff back in it.

What did you seal the tank with? I have had good results with Red Kote. Usually takes two coats.

Did the bearing slide out? Then grenade.
Getting a sealed tank not to leak or weep is a PITA. I used to work on some Victorian homes with actually horse hair plaster, when you get a crack in it you have to dig it out with a screwdriver and replaster. On my SP81 tank I took the dremel with a cut off wheel and ran it down the seem and reEpoxied it with jb weld. I also used red cote in my tank.

If you used the LRB wrist pin, it almost certainly slid over when the saw was running. The LRB pins do not are not a proper press fit in the connecting rod and so are prone to move.

I have pistons as Max mentioned, I should be able to come up with a good wrist pin as well. PM if you are interested.

FWIW I put together a PM650 with a LRB piston for the sake of science... I did use the original wrist pin and so far the saw may have 5-10 tanks of fuel through it. I gave it to a local tree service guy in order to get a good test. I will report back if or when there is a problem.

Mark

I pressed the oem bearings in and they where firmly in, and I used the oem pin like you all told me to. everything was a tight press fit.
I used redkote and followed the instructions. I guess I will dig out the seams and JB weld and redo the redkote. I lucked out and didn't eat the cylinder so I want OEM this time. I don't intend to run it hard as it has sentimental value to me.
Mark I will send a PM.

Back