McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A not so great day today. I got a call this morning from my Aunt (she is an RN) My Uncle passed out taking a shower last night and fell, breaking a rib in the process. My Aunt told me for a short time he was gone. He came back on his own. His heart is so bad she was not going to try to revive him. He is in ICU right now. I talked to him on the phone. He whispered to me "I will not be able to finish the SP81 when the jug finally comes, you will have to do it Max" I told him I love him and will see him when he gets home. If he gets home it will be hospice. He has had a good life and has taught me most of what I know about these old yellow saws. I have tried to stay busy here today. Serviced the tractor, graded the drive, touched up the 32" bar I have completely reconditioned for his 81. Going to have a cigar and piddle with stuff in shop to try and not think about things. Sorry to vomit this to you folks, but you all know the history I have with him and our saws. Its Memorial Day and I am grateful for all for those who gave everything so we can be free. He has had a great life thanks to them. I have also for that matter. Post some yellow boys! I could use the distraction today.

Max

Since the paint is still curing on the 55 parts. So I dug the rattiest 10-10 I had on the bench out. She fired on prime. would not run off of tank fuel. I pulled carb. Fuel line broke in my fingers. Someone had preformed a gas line conversation on this saw but, the carb look pretty clean like it had not be run much after a rebuild. I tore it apart and found the pump side diaphragms were in the wrong order. dropped the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner but a kit in it. Replaced the fuel line and filter and she's a go! I decided to work on a saw, honesty I needed to today. The bar for Uncles 81 came out good. 10-10 seals.JPGredone bar.JPG

I had a pro Mac 555 follow me home today, for $20.00 how could I say no? Saw looks like a very low hour that needs some TLC but it will take some time to know that for sure. The oil pump button is frozen in place so I put some PB Blaster on it and will check to see if it moves over the next few days. Recoil is not pulling the rope back in. I see hope for this one.

Has it started since? Vapor lock, maybe? Outta gas? (It happens!)

I'd be leaning toward an air leak that got worse as you ran the saw. You may still have spark, just way too much air getting in somewhere -- like a totally failed oil seal. Worse case could be a scored piston (due to the possible leak) with stuck rings and no longer enough compression to fire, though I imagine you'd recognize the decrease in compression rather quickly.

Check spark. Check compression. Check intake integrity for tight fasteners, etc. Check piston if compression is low. Do a vac/pressure test to check case and seal integrity.

Thanks. I haven't been able to start it since. There is plenty of fuel.
I'll try to work on the other things but I don't have compression or pressure/vacuum testers.

A not so great day today. I got a call this morning from my Aunt (she is an RN) My Uncle passed out taking a shower last night and fell, breaking a rib in the process. My Aunt told me for a short time he was gone. He came back on his own. His heart is so bad she was not going to try to revive him. He is in ICU right now. I talked to him on the phone. He whispered to me "I will not be able to finish the SP81 when the jug finally comes, you will have to do it Max" I told him I love him and will see him when he gets home. If he gets home it will be hospice. He has had a good life and has taught me most of what I know about these old yellow saws. I have tried to stay busy here today. Serviced the tractor, graded the drive, touched up the 32" bar I have completely reconditioned for his 81. Going to have a cigar and piddle with stuff in shop to try and not think about things. Sorry to vomit this to you folks, but you all know the history I have with him and our saws. Its Memorial Day and I am grateful for all for those who gave everything so we can be free. He has had a great life thanks to them. I have also for that matter. Post some yellow boys! I could use the distraction today.

Max
No need for apologies! Sometimes ya just need to get it out and that's what friends are for!
I wish I had.met this awesome bunch of men when I lost my uncle. Truly one of the hardest times in my life and it still cuts deep when I grab one of the many tools he left me.
Hang in there!

Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but on the advice of one member I’m reposting this here.
Hello, it’s time to let this one go. The paint is rough but it doesn’t run like it looks. No broken parts other than part of the plastic starter cage is missing. Pulls a 32” bar better than my 7900 with a 28”. Has tons of compression and will hang from the starter cord with the 32” and chain without budging till the cows come home. Idles, oils as it should. Bar has little wear, chain about done also included. $550 and I’ll pick up half the ride.
I’d also be willing to trade for a decent Dolkita 64xx plus cash which is negotiable. Thanks

Attachments

• C63AA9CC-7D02-44FB-AC4C-2EA7DCC5E1C3.jpeg
    C63AA9CC-7D02-44FB-AC4C-2EA7DCC5E1C3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 962DDA75-E2E3-46E9-B9AD-CB54BBA77AD0.jpeg
    962DDA75-E2E3-46E9-B9AD-CB54BBA77AD0.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • C1FE59ED-067D-4859-B697-4034DC34429B.jpeg
    C1FE59ED-067D-4859-B697-4034DC34429B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 318BF294-89A7-4441-A5AB-A6F7A8490915.jpeg
    318BF294-89A7-4441-A5AB-A6F7A8490915.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8B901139-02D0-4684-85EC-BF1B911DA30F.jpeg
    8B901139-02D0-4684-85EC-BF1B911DA30F.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4DB1CFC4-3B86-46E8-85F1-284E94062F57.jpeg
    4DB1CFC4-3B86-46E8-85F1-284E94062F57.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Well i started on the DE80 i got for 100 bucks. Dissasembly was yesterday. Heres what i found so far. The cylinder is great and not scored at all. The piston is also near new condition. Still has the machine marks on it. So i cleaned up the engine and discovered the oil tank was broken. The ear that the starter cover goes into by the manual oiler was busted off. No fear i had another just like it. Only yellow with chipped paint. Swapped the oiler and started assembly of the engine. I noticed the engine was hard to turn over, felt very tight. (Ive read this recently) the oil tank was tough to mate the surfaces together. So i found the issue....the keeper ring on the big bearing had a bunch of red rtv under it on the bearing. I dug it out and replaced the ring and it went together perfect. And it was turning over very easily now. Whoda thought a thin layer of silicone woul cause such a issue. Anyway, i digress...its got a great engine. Its together and sitting tonight. Lots more cleaning to do. The bottom plate is bent up. Handlebar is broken. Muffler is rusted. Several things to figure out cosmetically but its gonna run like a mac before too long.

Latest posts

Back