McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original screws were 8-32 for the starter cover and the three longer screws to hold the flywheel cover on, go to M5 if you must. The one at the front of the FW cover and the one into the special stud on the coil are 10-24, hopefully the one in the stud is still O.K. as that one might be tricky to change over being a blind hole.

Heli-coils would be a better option if you need to make repairs, not a lot of substance around any of those holes to allow you to expand them to the M6 fasteners.

Mark

I tried M5 on the 800 and nup was wallowed out to far. The other thing with M6 is the heads need some modification to look nice and fit in the original counter sinks.

Yeah the coil Hole is OK 👍. Not sure how to go about getting the snapped bugger out from the bottom hole. Might be fun :)

I've got a four or five McCullochs, all smaller saws, some mini macs, cute little saws but they're in bad shape. Bought em when I was a teenager

I tried M5 on the 800 and nup was wallowed out to far. The other thing with M6 is the heads need some modification to look nice and fit in the original counter sinks.

Yeah the coil Hole is OK 👍. Not sure how to go about getting the snapped bugger out from the bottom hole. Might be fun :)
How much of a hurry are you in?
Perhaps Mark has some original screws that he could add to my order when I get around to finalizing it...

Oh wait you have the screws but the holes are munted?

I should have a screw but weather I can get that busted 1 out is the next story. The top 1 is bent but I'll sus that. I'm just in the middle of moving house so not sure yet what I've got

It's here
View attachment 1078549View attachment 1078550View attachment 1078551
Probably it's original hard nose bar.

By the handle wear it's had a easy life. Starter screws are gunna need some M6s.
Av seems ok.
Good air filter and plenty compression

Edit...

Bottom screw is snapped.
Top left is OK.
Too right. There is no too right???
Correct. There is no top right screw. Nothing to attach it to. It should have a plastic plug in it. Nice score though

Here is an IPL that covers the 32, 35, 38 cc models. I don't remember ever seeing any workshop manuals for these particular models.

Ignore the brochure at the end, that is a later Jenn Feng model with a vertical cylinder.

Mark

Attachments

• McCulloch Late models.pdf
    951.6 KB · Views: 0
Haters gonna hate..... The inventor of imperial stuff should have been shot a long time ago...:chainsaw:
Agreed.
Correct. There is no top right screw. Nothing to attach it to. It should have a plastic plug in it. Nice score though

Yup plastic plug still there. Will have a crack tomorrow at work hopefully it just marches on out.

If I remember rightly you got a 7-10 cylinder to work with the AV setup yeah? This cylinder feels good but be nice to know I've got a future parts stash. I'm betting this will be one of my go to saws when it's sorted. I do spend a few hours on a saw and the av is nice.

I put a tank through the hotrod 10-10 and dang my hands were buzzing. 1 tank was enough. The 700s n 7-10s are not so bad but an av version will be real nice

Haters gonna hate..... The inventor of imperial stuff should have been shot a long time ago...:chainsaw:
Well I do have to say if I hadn't grown up with either and had to choose between them, it's obvious which makes more sense. What's tough for fellas my age is that the metric system started to become more common just when this old dog got too old to learn new tricks! Dang it!

Yes i did. The only difference in a 700, 7-10, and the sp70 is the small barb fitting drilled into the cylinder for the impulse line. Thats it. I took one out of a junk cylinder...82cc i believe and drilled a hole thru and jb welded it in there. Worked out perfect.

Sweet 👍 I'll strip it n see what else shows up. A muffler screw already 🙄 hopefully it's thread is OK. I see a screw missing for the air shroud on the bottom between the AV buffers. The shroud seems to have a big hole. Is there a rubber grommet or something there?? I can't recall on the 81 or 850 what was there or if its the same

Well I do have to say if I hadn't grown up with either and had to choose between them, it's obvious which makes more sense. What's tough for fellas my age is that the metric system started to become more common just when this old dog got too old to learn new tricks! Dang it!
Understandable absolutely. The cool thing with metric is if you can count to 10 you already got it

From what I’ve read, there seems to be a real disappearance issue with 10mm wrenches and sockets. 1/2” and 3/4”wrenches occasionally have that problem but it is so infrequent that not much is said about it.

Ron

From what I’ve read, there seems to be a real disappearance issue with 10mm wrenches and sockets. 1/2” and 3/4”wrenches occasionally have that problem but it is so infrequent that not much is said about it.

Ron
10 mm sockets in 1/4” drive are always lost. Deep and shallow. The 13mm not so much. I have to keep at least 2 sockets is reserve.

You'd better get the standards groups together and have them decide on who's metric system you are going to adopt as there are at least three out there...with different thread pitches (at least three different pitches used on M10 fasterners for example) and the hex sizes accompanying different size fasteners. M8 fasteners might have 13mm, 14mm, or 15mm across the flats, M10 fasteners can be 14, 15, 16, or 17 mm depending on where they are made and who's is specifying. And nuts frequently have a different measurement across the flats than the screws that go with them. Not really a universal system.

Mark

Latest posts

Back