McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used my PM850 a week or so back to rough out some short slabs of local Green Ash (curbside find a few blocks away) All the smaller stuff picked up by others or run through the chipper before I got there.That's OK,I prefer logs 14"diameter minimum to 36" or so.I can get all the smaller stuff (12" diameter or less) I want for firewood but you cant get wide,thick planks from skinny logs or branches... DSC02729.JPG

Future cutting boards,maybe a top to a small footstool or bench. Roughly 2" thick x 12" x 15" I'll know more in a couple years once its dried,then planed,sanded to 120 grit,then oiled with a food safe finish like soybean/salad oil.Small woodwork like furniture or anything not in contact with food will also get 2-3 coats of amber varnish after the oil is rubbed in & dry. With longer logs 4 feet or more I'll set up the Granberg mill,for more accuracy,but with shorter logs I just freehand everything,or draw some lines with a Sharpie & follow them instead.Since the wood will need further processing with the planer,band saw or table saw once its dry.Plus getting all my wood for free (that's considered all firewood to begin with) I'm not as concerned with a bit more waste of the material,I still try to yield as much as possible from each log however.DSC02720.JPGDSC02724.JPGDSC02718.JPG

So when rust is the problem... you have a solution.
This is off the subject , but im selling my Partner/Mcculloch P100/1000. Runs and oils, no bar or chain (Husqvarna large mount) governer is blocked and uses 3/8” chain has a 8 tooth sprocket on it. $450 plus shipping.

So when rust is the problem... you have a solution.
This is off the subject , but im selling my Partner/Mcculloch P100/1000. Runs and oils, no bar or chain (Husqvarna large mount) governer is blocked and uses 3/8” chain has a 8 tooth sprocket on it. $450 plus shipping.

Used my PM850 a week or so back to rough out some short slabs of local Green Ash (curbside find a few blocks away) All the smaller stuff picked up by others or run through the chipper before I got there.That's OK,I prefer logs 14"diameter minimum to 36" or so.I can get all the smaller stuff (12" diameter or less) I want for firewood but you cant get wide,thick planks from skinny logs or branches... View attachment 1120710

Future cutting boards,maybe a top to a small footstool or bench. Roughly 2" thick x 12" x 15" I'll know more in a couple years once its dried,then planed,sanded to 120 grit,then oiled with a food safe finish like soybean/salad oil.Small woodwork like furniture or anything not in contact with food will also get 2-3 coats of amber varnish after the oil is rubbed in & dry. With longer logs 4 feet or more I'll set up the Granberg mill,for more accuracy,but with shorter logs I just freehand everything,or draw some lines with a Sharpie & follow them instead.Since the wood will need further processing with the planer,band saw or table saw once its dry.Plus getting all my wood for free (that's considered all firewood to begin with) I'm not as concerned with a bit more waste of the material,I still try to yield as much as possible from each log however.View attachment 1120708View attachment 1120709View attachment 1120704

You could get a better first cut with a Semi chisel full comp chain , if it matters? That saw can certainly pull it. I love that bar!

Regarding 797 mufflers, which is the correct original style? My IPLs for the non-Super show a box muffler with a plain outlet, like a 795 or 790. I've seen more than one picture of a box muffler with the SP125 style round outlet. I've not seen this latter style on any IPL.

You could get a better first cut with a Semi chisel full comp chain , if it matters? That saw can certainly pull it. I love that bar!
That dont bother me,since the wood gets further processing once its drier.I've always used skip chain on bars 24" or longer.Gives a little more power,more chip clearance in bigger heavy cuts,plus is a little quicker to file especially on extra long bars.Only drawback is sometimes it can really rattle my fillings on the denser woods like White/Bur Oak,Shagbark Hickory,Honey Locust,occasionally Mulberry.I'm used to that too.Long as I dont go too heavy when filing the rakers I'm OK though

Not all 125 had chrome bores. The cp125 was steel, the early sp125 was steel, then they changed to chrome. The last 125s were chrome, sp125c.

The 797 had the same muffler as the cp125. Directional round.

Well, im returning to saws. That ol truck had me all year. Ive spent the last hr reading 15 pages of the forum. Looks like some new saws for some. Today i started cutting again. Ran 2 tanks thru the sp81. 28" bar. What a nice saw. Gonna clean it off and grab an 850. Also 28" bar. Im cutting lots of red oak this year. Some is rather large. I ended up with a new wood splitter to. I had a tractor supply huskee splitter for 20 years. Its been in a photo or 2 ive posted. I sold the ol gal and upgraded to a wolf ridge. Its quite different to run but sure saves the back. I like it. It is faster and just as strong. Smashed the heck out of my pinky finger. But all is well. 4 more days of cutting will get me thru just fine. Im planning on getting a 123cc saw out this evening to play a bit. Peehaps my daughter can take a photo or 2. Enjoy your day fellas

Not all 125 had chrome bores. The cp125 was steel, the early sp125 was steel, then they changed to chrome. The last 125s were chrome, sp125c.

The 797 had the same muffler as the cp125. Directional round.

Well, im returning to saws. That ol truck had me all year. Ive spent the last hr reading 15 pages of the forum. Looks like some new saws for some. Today i started cutting again. Ran 2 tanks thru the sp81. 28" bar. What a nice saw. Gonna clean it off and grab an 850. Also 28" bar. Im cutting lots of red oak this year. Some is rather large. I ended up with a new wood splitter to. I had a tractor supply huskee splitter for 20 years. Its been in a photo or 2 ive posted. I sold the ol gal and upgraded to a wolf ridge. Its quite different to run but sure saves the back. I like it. It is faster and just as strong. Smashed the heck out of my pinky finger. But all is well. 4 more days of cutting will get me thru just fine. Im planning on getting a 123cc saw out this evening to play a bit. Peehaps my daughter can take a photo or 2. Enjoy your day fellas
Grab your 80cc,s Vinny, got almost 9 cord red oak,to block up , got some big guys on the job , Lol good to see you back, 👍IMG_2094.jpegIMG_2093.jpegIMG_2084.jpeg

Back