McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree folks. BBR once had a decent channel and did some great tutorials on chain filing and bar maintenance. Decent advice for lay persons on various topics.

Unfortunately as the years have gone by he has garnered a crowd of know it alls and sycophants who would follow him over a cliff. His content has gotten sparse and he is becoming a spokesperson for whoever will get him the likes he needs for more funding.
I got a smaller Mac after getting interested but keep it going for the legacy aspect, not to be a member of the " Chainsaw Bro " club.
The man can cut some chain though, and does old axes well.

Id love to see Buckin grab a 250 and say how awesome it is and watch ebay explode with them...at insane asking prices. Or better would be a difderent brand. He did the pioneer p series saws for awhile and they all did the same thing. Prices went thru the roof on the p40s and p50s forget about it.

Hi gang,I've got 2 saws to report on.First is the Super 2-10 that I've had on hold for a few months.I put an SDC2 in it today & couldn't get it to fire at first,but then eventually it did fire up.It ran kinda sluggish & when I left it to idle it died & I couldn't get it restarted.I'm pulling the SDC2 off & I'll be putting an SDC37 on in it's place.I also have to change out the fuel line.I put an aftermarket line in & all it does is leak.I know about the Teflon tape routine,but I'd rather use an OEM line that I know will seal without having to fiddle with tape.

The other saw I have is an Eager Beaver 2.0.I found it in the garage while putting things away for the season.I took it outside & gave it a prime & it fired.It'd only run on a prime at first,then I readjusted the needles & it runs great now even after letting it set for a couple of hrs.The problem I have weith it is neither of the oilers works.I'm not good with these oilers at all.
Beaver- pull the front cover and make sure the pump is there. I came upon one with no pump and impulse blocked off. The beaver is a great saw worthy of repair.

Id love to see Buckin grab a 250 and say how awesome it is and watch ebay explode with them...at insane asking prices. Or better would be a difderent brand. He did the pioneer p series saws for awhile and they all did the same thing. Prices went thru the roof on the p40s and p50s forget about it.
I would love that too. I have a bunch of 250s, could make some $$$ out of that :envy:... ...if only I could ever sell and not just buy :rolleyes:...

IYesterday I ended up searching for a few parts I needed to put the E.B.2.0 back together.I found the chain brake,don't know if was the original or not,but it fits & works.Then I stole a brake lever (flag) off a MM120,it also fit.The only thing left to find is an air filter cover.I know I have at least one here somewhere.
I tried firing it up after it sat for 2 days & it was a no go.It did fire up & run very nicely after a prime.This tells me that the diaphragms are getting a bit stiff.I hope it doesn't have one of those confounded Walbro MDC carbs in it,I'd rather it have a Zama M1-M7.

I've been working on some prototype carb kits for the 33B, Super 33, 35, 35A, and 39 saws.

Early testing has been successful...

Bryan Gray ran the test for me this last weekend and everything seems to work as it should.

I was able to use modern materials to replace 50's standard materials, and it looks like folks with the this series of saws will have a way to get them running again. I will be making a kit that includes the fuel pump diaphragm , a complete carb kit (Including carb diaphragm , diaphragm gasket, and fuel control layer) a lower fuel tank gasket for all but the Model 39, and a breaker box gasket. I'll continue to add gaskets by need if there are more that I can get my hands on. that are typically problematic and difficult to get.
Hoping to have this all together in the next week or two and in my store.

Bryan Gray did a complete video on the work he did and will be releasing it on his you-tube channel in in the next couple of weeks. I'm attaching a snippet he sent me of the first cold start of his Super 33 test mule with the new kit in it...

Special Thanks to Andrew Barlow for sending some carburetor parts to me work from, Max Rowe for sending an original intact fuel control layer to work from, Greg Hill for providing the original oem diaphragm to work from, and also Bryan Gray for doing the testing on a saw he had available.

Brian Genrich
www.oldsawshop.com

Attachments

• 399618719_7301069399925446_2656713724176079628_n.mp4
    2 MB
Hello guys - I'm new to the forum, happy to be here, and have already picked up some great tips from you guys that have been doing this for a long time. The resources here have been invaluable!

My entry into the "Mac world" started when I was a kid in the early 70's - my family bought a couple of acres in the woods of northern Michigan and my dad bought a Mini Mac 6 to clear some of the (then small) trees so that we could put in a trailer and someday, a cottage. I hated hearing that little screamer start because I knew I that meant several hours of getting covered with sawdust and going deaf helping dad out LOL. Fast forward many years and mom and dad were moving up to that lot (and now house) for retirement. He was going to sell the little Mac at their garage sale and so I asked if I could have it (maybe I was thinking of doing something horrible to it our of revenge). It sat in my garage for another 25 years until early this year, when I stumbled upon it. I pulled it out and thought man, it would be cool to get it running again for my pops. I have since become an "expert" on taking it apart and putting it back together (no fun)! Got everything working and took it up north to may dad - was he ever shocked (didn't even remember giving it to me - thought it was long gone). It put a smile on his face to see his old friend cleaned up and generating high decibels again.

This whole process started somewhat of an obsession - and I now have about 10 more Macs that I have picked up through various means. I even found a 10-10s that was beautiful and being sold locally through FB at a good price, so I picked it up and gifted a Mac back to my dad (he'll probably just polish it, but who knows, maybe it will inspire him to cut some wood).

A few weeks back I picked up a really nice 7-10A that had obviously seen very little use and been sitting for a looong time - the rope was pretty dry and dusty and I had to pull off the starter just to free it up and get it to work again. I drained the gas, put on a new fuel line/filter and threw on a Walbro SDC from a PM55 (original carb is a Tillotson - will clean it up and put it back on) just to see if it would fire - and she started right up! Happy day! (Video)

It has been a real learning experience for me, I enjoy getting these old war horses running again (although I'm sure my neighbors hate me by now).

I'm looking for a few hard to find clutch covers for 10-10a's - a few of my are typically broken, so if anyone knows where I can get a couple without needing to take out a bank loan, let me know.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone - great to be here!

PS - thanks Mark for helping me out with the 10-10 air filters a few months back👍

Attachments

• Mac 7-10.mov
    3.1 MB
Hello guys - I'm new to the forum, happy to be here, and have already picked up some great tips from you guys that have been doing this for a long time. The resources here have been invaluable!

My entry into the "Mac world" started when I was a kid in the early 70's - my family bought a couple of acres in the woods of northern Michigan and my dad bought a Mini Mac 6 to clear some of the (then small) trees so that we could put in a trailer and someday, a cottage. I hated hearing that little screamer start because I knew I that meant several hours of getting covered with sawdust and going deaf helping dad out LOL. Fast forward many years and mom and dad were moving up to that lot (and now house) for retirement. He was going to sell the little Mac at their garage sale and so I asked if I could have it (maybe I was thinking of doing something horrible to it our of revenge). It sat in my garage for another 25 years until early this year, when I stumbled upon it. I pulled it out and thought man, it would be cool to get it running again for my pops. I have since become an "expert" on taking it apart and putting it back together (no fun)! Got everything working and took it up north to may dad - was he ever shocked (didn't even remember giving it to me - thought it was long gone). It put a smile on his face to see his old friend cleaned up and generating high decibels again.

This whole process started somewhat of an obsession - and I now have about 10 more Macs that I have picked up through various means. I even found a 10-10s that was beautiful and being sold locally through FB at a good price, so I picked it up and gifted a Mac back to my dad (he'll probably just polish it, but who knows, maybe it will inspire him to cut some wood).

A few weeks back I picked up a really nice 7-10A that had obviously seen very little use and been sitting for a looong time - the rope was pretty dry and dusty and I had to pull off the starter just to free it up and get it to work again. I drained the gas, put on a new fuel line/filter and threw on a Walbro SDC from a PM55 (original carb is a Tillotson - will clean it up and put it back on) just to see if it would fire - and she started right up! Happy day! (Video)

It has been a real learning experience for me, I enjoy getting these old war horses running again (although I'm sure my neighbors hate me by now).

I'm looking for a few hard to find clutch covers for 10-10a's - a few of my are typically broken, so if anyone knows where I can get a couple without needing to take out a bank loan, let me know.

PS - thanks Mark for helping me out with the 10-10 air filters a few months back👍
Welcome!

Got a parts saw for the D45, hard enough to get in Alberta but I managed to find the perfect saw so it should be pretty straightforward. I need to switch over from the McCulloch flatback to the HL63 and I managed to snag a Super 250 so the butterfly choke is the best case scenario here. As for what else needs to happen I will just have to wait and see. The D45 was running off a spray bottle just fine so I have high hopes that this goes smoothly.

Attachments

• IMG_5534.jpg
    IMG_5534.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5533.jpg
    IMG_5533.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5532.jpg
    IMG_5532.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 0

Welcome Doc!
Great story. 👍

I'm just getting my feet wet with these mcCullochs, is it worth trying to get the Super250 to go if it was a superior design? The D45 has awesome compression and the super250 has a clean looking P&C so its probably possible to build it that direction if its a superior base design.

I don't think I have seen an IPL for the D-45 so I can't really say much about the internals. The contemporary 80cc models like the D-30, D-36, and 1-40 thru 1-43 had less impressive porting and bushings in the wrist pin rather than needle bearings.

The 250 models had needle bearings in the wrist pin and more aggressive porting so they should be the better running/working saw.

I think the D-45's were cool just because they were less common model and should have a full wrap handle bar. I'd make the 250 a runner with the Tillotson and put a kit in the flat back for the D-45...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1557424746...YK203F2xim5+X/8koTfqzswtp3IC|tkp:BFBMrJ6d9_Vi
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1759396200...JwrsXT43u7ibQ/RhLvh3xYhxivq7|tkp:BFBMrJ6d9_Vi
Mark

I don't think I have seen an IPL for the D-45 so I can't really say much about the internals. The contemporary 80cc models like the D-30, D-36, and 1-40 thru 1-43 had less impressive porting and bushings in the wrist pin rather than needle bearings.

The 250 models had needle bearings in the wrist pin and more aggressive porting so they should be the better running/working saw.

I think the D-45's were cool just because they were less common model and should have a full wrap handle bar. I'd make the 250 a runner with the Tillotson and put a kit in the flat back for the D-45...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1557424746...YK203F2xim5+X/8koTfqzswtp3IC|tkp:BFBMrJ6d9_Vi
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1759396200...JwrsXT43u7ibQ/RhLvh3xYhxivq7|tkp:BFBMrJ6d9_Vi
Mark
Thanks for posting the link to my ebay flat-back kit, but my non ebay pricing is better due to ebay fee's. Still comes with a free McCulloch sticker... https://www.oldsawshop.com/McCulloch-Flatback-Carburetor-kit-Mac-9-p561950577

Thanks for the info about the seal and diaphragm kit! I'm always killed by shipping off of ebay due to most sellers in US :(

I will look into getting the super 250 running, but I dont have enough parts to get both machines together. What's in the pictures is all I have for that style saw. I would need a lower handle, wrap, starter cover, and clutch cover, and its taken me over a month just to find one parts saw let alone two local to me.
I plan on keeping one of these as a 'runner' for myself as I enjoy pulling out some old iron here and there for bucking firewood. If the 250 is promising I think I will go with it as its going to become a workhorse for 24"+ firewood rounds.

Should I tear down to the bearings? I was going to get it fired up right away but I can source bearings and seals locally from a few industrial suppliers if I needed to.

Back