McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was gifted an SP40 by Ron Woods a couple weeks back (thank you Ron).He seems to think that I have more patience than he has (yeah right,don't you read my posts Ron?Lol).I haven't been able to do a heck of a lot due to knuckle replacement surgery,but today I tore into the old gal.This saw is fairly easy to work on,unlike the mini macs.Ron told me that the fuel tank had a leak.I just had a gut feeling that it was the fuel line & not the tank.Of course I haven't tested the tank yet to prove my theory.I did however find a kink in the "aftermarket" fuel line (Tygon I believe) right up close to the barb on the fuel tank.It could be a combination bad fuel line & leaky fuel tank.In any case,rather than replace the line with an OEM line,I'm wondering if it'd be alright to just replace the damaged Tygon line?I think the reason why the Tygon line kinked was because it's not stiff enough.I have a section of line that's stiffer than Tygon.

Tygon will work fine as long as the length and diameter are correct (3-1/2"). When you slip the engine back into the housing be sure the fitting is properly oriented and pops into the opening in the bottom of the housing and you will be fine.

20231228_082308.jpg

Some early saws had a larger nipple on the carburetor and required a special fuel line with different diameter openings on each end (McCulloch was good at doing this) but the SP40 should use a 1/8" I.D. hose on each end.

FWIW, some of the very early Mini Mac models had a molded fuel line with a "ball" on the tank end that fit into the opening on the tank. They were notorious for shrinking and leaking.

1703774017106.png

Mark

Tygon will work fine as long as the length and diameter are correct (3-1/2"). When you slip the engine back into the housing be sure the fitting is properly oriented and pops into the opening in the bottom of the housing and you will be fine.

View attachment 1139334

Some early saws had a larger nipple on the carburetor and required a special fuel line with different diameter openings on each end (McCulloch was good at doing this) but the SP40 should use a 1/8" I.D. hose on each end.

FWIW, some of the very early Mini Mac models had a molded fuel line with a "ball" on the tank end that fit into the opening on the tank. They were notorious for shrinking and leaking.

View attachment 1139333

Mark
I didn't have to take the engine out of it's case.I just took the chain brake off,the front cover,& the recoil assembly.
The fitting that goes into the fuel tank has a flattened side,which way should that fl;at side go?I'm assuming it goes on the bottom?

If not for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.I put a hose on the fuel tank & the carb on the SP40 & put fuel in the tank.The tank has a leak on the bottom seam.I pulled the hose off the fuel tank adaptor & the barb pulled off.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
I wondered who bought that hedge trimmer off ebay?! Cool toy.

Ed ive had a couple of those barbs break also. Only 1 leaked though. Ive also had 1 furl tank leak at the seam on that mini mac style tank. It looked great, put it together and fuel everywhere. Back apart and nothing noticeable. Fueled it up with the front cover off and found it. Luckily mini tanks are everywhere and i had a spare parts saw. Crazy design in those mini saws.

I looked in my tote of odds-n-ends & found another adaptor with a fuel line on it.I thought I'd seen it a few months ago,but wasn't quite sure.I believe it came off a MM25 that I bought for 99 cents,Lol.I didn't trust the fuel line,so I pulled it off.The O ring didn't feel quite right either,almost a little dry rot to it,so I pulled that off & put the O ring on that Ron used for replacement.I added fuel after connecting the temporary line to the carb & yee haw! - no leaks.Now I can only hope that the oiler on the replacement tank works.There was a lot of sludge in the oil opening & I cleaned it out the best I could with a Q tip.

I got sidetracked with another saw that came via UPS (sorry it wasn't a Mac).

Interesting find today while Inventorying in MacHall. It came from the factory this way. A NOS PM850 cylinder with the crankcase painted DE80 Black. Its a first for me. I know at the end McCulloch was slapping parts together on the replacement part side which I have seen before with cylinders.This just reinforces my long time belief that the "mated" cylinder and crankcase importance just isn't.

Mystery black Mac 3.jpgMystery black Mac 2.jpgMystery black Mac 1.jpg

Interesting find today while Inventorying in MacHall. It came from the factory this way. A NOS PM850 cylinder with the crankcase painted DE80 Black. Its a first for me. I know at the end McCulloch was slapping parts together on the replacement part side which I have seen before with cylinders.This just reinforces my long time belief that the "mated" cylinder and crankcase importance just isn't.

View attachment 1140692View attachment 1140693View attachment 1140694

Though my experience is rather limited, I previously reported an incidence where an interchange of cases would not seal. I recall it was a DE80 crankcase to a PM800 cylinder. I recall that someone else posted an issue with a DE80 case. Probably both machining flukes; I have had no other interchange issues.

Ron

As I continue to organize the cylinder assembly's and log them, I will create a list of the late McCulloch part numbers on them. My helper and I spent 1.5 hours yesterday chasing a MM part number for a cylinder Them rascals have as many number variations as there were models of them lol

BTW @heimannm the cross reference information you provided me with has been invaluable. TY

Would anyone here know of a good mechanic on this board or anywhere else who I can contact to have my 10-10 possibly fixed ?

Jim

Back