McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 1152551

I have assumed you're talking about a 610; if not, that's where the misunderstanding is.
I have one where the tab broke off near the switch, which is why I asked if yours was in the same place.

As to your describing the fan housing to me, I find that rather condescending. (Condescending means talking down to people)
I wasn't trying to be condecsending.I was trying to explain where the ear was broken off on the recoil itself.I knew where you were talking about,which is not the recoil.

Finally got enough epoxy on the tank of the Super 33 to hold gas, took a while chasing holes. Even with the fuel pump rebuilt it's not picking up fuel. It'll run off a prime or if I bottle feed it. Guess I'll dig into it tomorrow and see what's plugged or what I assembled out of order since I had to walk away mid job on the fuel pump. I'd like to at least make a few cuts with this thing before it ends up hanging in the shop. Was supposed to have a 1-42 here when I got home today but USPS has decided to hold that saw hostage till Monday.

PXL_20240208_033145101.jpg
PXL_20240210_034759162.jpg

Hello all...been a few eeeks since i was here...i had the day off friday last week and went to visit my machinist buddies shop. He and i bought some 125 cyli ders together early last year to see about sleeving them. Other members have also sent him a couple of cylinders as well. Just to keep it going...he has started the 125 stuff. So far just made some jigs are made but he has started. The 70cc he has a good plan as well but they were not high priority. I was there for king pin bushings for my old chevy and a exhaust manifold repair, i saw one of my 82cc cylinders which sparked an entire conversation off. Hopefully he gets one of the 125,s done for testing before too long. Im sure you all will hear when that happens.

Finally got enough epoxy on the tank of the Super 33 to hold gas, took a while chasing holes. Even with the fuel pump rebuilt it's not picking up fuel. It'll run off a prime or if I bottle feed it. Guess I'll dig into it tomorrow and see what's plugged or what I assembled out of order since I had to walk away mid job on the fuel pump. I'd like to at least make a few cuts with this thing before it ends up hanging in the shop. Was supposed to have a 1-42 here when I got home today but USPS has decided to hold that saw hostage till Monday.

View attachment 1152658
View attachment 1152657
JKNW,

Just in case you're working blind on this...here is a service manual: https://netorg5497464-my.sharepoint...5GhLxd9ux_Rq0BrijyHn4EIv_ILU-RvW8jvA?e=AEANIu

Here is an IPL: https://netorg5497464-my.sharepoint...NDjXnk0lF8IQEB6qgxycJ53zEHGS9qanl0pw?e=fe8ptl

I have a video that helps show the stack of fuel control layer in the carb.... if its flipped it wouldnt work correctly so its worth checking to verify the valves are operating properly.

My initial prototypes were assembled backwards, so I corrected myself and showed how anyone I sent them to how to fix it and how they should be assembled. That video is found here:

Hope this helps,

Brian Genrich

That was it, had it together backward. She's a runner now! Just need to get the chain freed up and run a file down it and she should cut.
Fantastic....Easy to see how that could happen with that layer.... the IPL's aren't very clear. Let me know how it runs for ya.

Brian

Hello all...been a few eeeks since i was here...i had the day off friday last week and went to visit my machinist buddies shop. He and i bought some 125 cyli ders together early last year to see about sleeving them. Other members have also sent him a couple of cylinders as well. Just to keep it going...he has started the 125 stuff. So far just made some jigs are made but he has started. The 70cc he has a good plan as well but they were not high priority. I was there for king pin bushings for my old chevy and a exhaust manifold repair, i saw one of my 82cc cylinders which sparked an entire conversation off. Hopefully he gets one of the 125,s done for testing before too long. Im sure you all will hear when that happens.
I have a cylinder i need done when he gets it figured out.
What pistons are you using? Would a 30 over piston work or are the sleeves just for a certain size ?
Thanks

I have a cylinder i need done when he gets it figured out.
What pistons are you using? Would a 30 over piston work or are the sleeves just for a certain size ?
Thanks
THe sleeves are final honed to fit the piston sent with the cylinder. Keep in touch when he is ready i can send his information to you. 30 over would be fine. Im gonna have one done for a sp 105 piston i have. Then build a sp105. ...eventually.

I started tearing into the Monkey Wards saw yesterday & found that one of the ears where the small screw holds the recoil on was broken off.I also saw that the fuel line wasn't original & was disintegrated.I was going to put a Tygon line on,but fouind I was out of that size line.I had a good recoil from another Wards saw that I bought last summer & used that.I also noticed that ther PM605 had a good fuel line in it & I just swapped fuel tanks.I cleaned the saw really well as it was loaded up pretty good by the ignition module with lots of crud.I put it back together just as I was losing daylight & gave it a prime to see if it'd fire & it did.It needs a new fuel filter & possibly a carb rebuild.Keep in mind that all these saws were running when put away.It must've been put away about 20 or 30 yrs.ago because there was almost an 1/8 in.of dust covering these saws.

I then moved on to a 610 that was owned by the devil himself.The rope was hanging out about 6-8 in.,so I pulled the rercoil off for retensioning & found the filthiest saw that I'd ever seen.I had to pull the saw completely apart to clean it.It must've taken me half the day to do so.What really amazed me was how much compression the saw had & the air box was actually clean.I was in the process of putting it back together & noticed that the 2 screws that hold the switch plate onto the cylinder were missing,so I had to stop there.I may have a couple of them in a box of parts I got from Mark,just gotta look.

The PM605 engine is no lopnger seized.I was able to free it up by turning the FW by hand just a tad.I then sprayed some Deep Creep into the cylinder & it's working freely.The saw was pretty much dismantled & the recoil was destroyed by taking it apart & losing half of the parts.They even dismantled the air box.
Here's my experience with a 610 like your Montgomery Wards saw. You just gotta ask...why would someone think those screws need to be so tight? 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212-124930~2.png
    Screenshot_20240212-124930~2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Pretty cool Brian, I definitely like the video .
Anything that is "virtually unbreakable" hasn't lived with me! Haha . I'm alot easier on stuff now that I'm older but still were alot out.
I've still got a few from Mark I'll have to work through.
I'm the same so I had them made for guys like us..... UV durable, Very flexible for any shock that would normally break them, and fuel and oil proof... I've tried to break one by twisting in my hands and couldn't.
A little more expensive than the harder versions, but a one time replacement works better for a guy like me. ;)

Latest posts

Back