McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just putting this out here.
I'm looking for a 10-10S cylinder.
I had a ring catch the edge of a transfer port and really buggered it up.
I had a hard time trying to figure out why it wouldn't run right.
I tore it down and found it.
Now I know why.
:dumb2::dumb2::dumb2::dumb2:
Those cylinders are like hens teeth. I forget who it was but a few years back someone had nos but they where pricey. I have a very nice 10-10S that has been sitting in a box torn apart for a couple years. I get in a bad mood every time I see it.😅😪

Look for a 10-10s or 555 cylinder. The pm55 is the same size cc but set up for points. Pm555 early on were points then elec ignition and of course the 10-10s was last. Likely if you find a 555 it will be elec ignition set up so it would work just fine. Or get ya a 70cc saw cylinder and hide it in there..lol

Wa
Was it ported?
No but it was a lil red barn piston and rings so it could be that I don't know. Had it started and running, I was trying to adjust carb and it just wouldn't idle right. Moved on to next project and it sat. Was thinking it was crank seals so started tearing it down. Saw some dings on top of piston and saw the gouge. Looks like the chrome just pealed away. So here I am. 😪😪

Look for a 10-10s or 555 cylinder. The pm55 is the same size cc but set up for points. Pm555 early on were points then elec ignition and of course the 10-10s was last. Likely if you find a 555 it will be elec ignition set up so it would work just fine. Or get ya a 70cc saw cylinder and hide it in there..lol
I thought that too but saw tinmans video on the 70cc comparison and how it won't work without a real lot of work. Which I'm not interested in doing.

Finally got enough epoxy on the tank of the Super 33 to hold gas, took a while chasing holes. Even with the fuel pump rebuilt it's not picking up fuel. It'll run off a prime or if I bottle feed it. Guess I'll dig into it tomorrow and see what's plugged or what I assembled out of order since I had to walk away mid job on the fuel pump. I'd like to at least make a few cuts with this thing before it ends up hanging in the shop. Was supposed to have a 1-42 here when I got home today but USPS has decided to hold that saw hostage till Monday.

View attachment 1152658
View attachment 1152657

JKNW,

Just in case you're working blind on this...here is a service manual: https://netorg5497464-my.sharepoint...5GhLxd9ux_Rq0BrijyHn4EIv_ILU-RvW8jvA?e=AEANIu

Here is an IPL: https://netorg5497464-my.sharepoint...NDjXnk0lF8IQEB6qgxycJ53zEHGS9qanl0pw?e=fe8ptl

I have a video that helps show the stack of fuel control layer in the carb.... if its flipped it wouldnt work correctly so its worth checking to verify the valves are operating properly.

My initial prototypes were assembled backwards, so I corrected myself and showed how anyone I sent them to how to fix it and how they should be assembled. That video is found here:

Hope this helps,

Brian Genrich

Couldn't open the sharepoint links - said I had to sign in ???
Attached is a Super 33 ipl. If possible, I would like a copy of the service manual if it is the 103677 service manual .

Attachments

• 33B S33 35 39 Mac 35 35A - IPL 56744.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 0
Couldn't open the sharepoint links - said I had to sign in ???
Attached is a Super 33 ipl. If possible, I would like a copy of the service manual if it is the 103677 service manual .
Here you are Ray, If this doesn't work for you let me know, and I'll handle it another way...

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• 33B S33 35 39 Mac 35 35A - IPL 56744.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 0
It was Bellhopper my bad I just remembered.
Here's video

si=VM783PYeks3XxB1E

Tanks are cross cross compatible. The handle brace is different and guessing the shield is different on a 70CC saw. If you could find a mostly there 7-10 or 700 you could swap the tank, but at that point you may as well go for the 70 cc option :)

Nothing on ebay for those which surprises me since they made them into the late 90's......Figured they'd still be popping up.

Pretty sure Max would have a short block of a 57CC saw too, but his stuff is all NOS and being so is not a low cost option. Would literally be a new saw though....

Not the first time I've heard about LRB pistons being problematic (wish it wasn't so). I've mostly heard the pins they supply walk out and the bearings come out and damage everything but the bottom end. I understand the solution is using the original piston pin so it doesn't walk out.

If I see anything pop up, I'll give you a holler.

Brian

I had a conversation one time with LRB. If I remember correctly he said it was around $20k to have the cylinders made for a saw and $5k for the pistons.
Not that it's cheap to a business with a small clientele, but in terms of manufacturing that's pretty cheap. A lot of times there needs to be $50-80K investment for a new product in our line of manufacturing (similar idea, just different products) just due to tooling and product commitment.

My mistake.....Give this a go. I dont think its McCulloch, (guessing Haynes) but it's all I have for this saw series.

Brian
Thank You for checking. Believe it is from an old Clymer chainsaw service manual. The 103677 service manual is very rare.
103677 service manual.jpg

I'll have to look for that video, I would have thought the only things that change from the 57 to 71cc models were the muffler and the insulator between the tank and the cylinder...

Mark
I have done that swap a few times. Its been awhile but best I remember you are correct Mark. One has change the spacer on the front tank mount also.

I thought that too but saw tinmans video on the 70cc comparison and how it won't work without a real lot of work. Which I'm not interested in doing.
No but it was a lil red barn piston and rings so it could be that I don't know. Had it started and running, I was trying to adjust carb and it just wouldn't idle right. Moved on to next project and it sat. Was thinking it was crank seals so started tearing it down. Saw some dings on top of piston and saw the gouge. Looks like the chrome just pealed away. So here I am. 😪😪
Jeff,

I have 10-10S NOS cylinders as well as everything else you would need FYI.

Latest posts

Back