McCulloch Goose Medallion Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawnami

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to remove the round goose medallion on one of my old McCulloch's. I'm trying to swap it into another housing. It fits so tight in the old housing that you can't even get a razor blade between the housing and the edge of the medallion. I've tried heating it up assuming that it may be glued on but it hasn't budged. Wondering if it may be pressed into place.

Got in touch with a guy that was familiar with what I was attempting. Here's how it worked in case someone else may need to do it:

I drilled a 3/16" hole in the back of the old housing just deep enough to begin to break through the housing metal but not into the medallion. I then put the housing on top of two 1 X 2's spread apart enough for the medallion to clear between them. I heated the back side with a heat gun and got it good and hot. I took a 3/16" pin punch and placed into the hole and whacked it a couple of times with a hammer and the medallion dropped out onto the bench.

The medallion appears to have originally had a paper with adhesive on both sides to attach it to the housing. It had a pretty good grip on this one for being 50+ years old.

Back