McCulloch MAC 3 10 e worth fixing or just sell...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerman330

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently came across a McCulloch MAC 3 10e. I really do not know much about the brand and after a few google searchs I haven't been able to find to much on the chainsaw.

Does anyone have any ideas where to get parts for the saw or if it is even worth trying to fix? If parts are hard to come by, would anyone be able to give me an idea how much the saw is worth? No parts are missing, and the battery pac is still in tact.

If pictures would help just shoot me a message. Thanks

Thanks for the quick response! Do you have any recommendations where to find parts?

The saw has spark and compression, I believe it isn't getting fuel so it may need the carb rebuilt.

well after about a hour of tinkerin' and over a 100 pulls... this +40 old chainsaw came to life! Not sure what I really did but I got it to start and after adjusting the carb a bit it actually runs pretty darn good!

I am glad to see you got in running. The 3-10 is a pretty simple saw. The electric start is a bit different. Since you said you have a intact battery pack that is a huge plus.

Bill

ya this is really my first experience with chainsaws. My wife thought I cut myself when I first got it started since I was yelling at the top of my lungs haha.

I guess my next step will be doing more research on the battery pac to see if there is anyway to rebuilt the pac or try to find some sort of charger for it. I will keep everyone updated. So far from what I found it appears to be a pretty rare saw...

you can get the sub c cells at a good rc hobby shop. you need to use nicads and ONLY nicads. nimhs will ruin the charging circut on the saw. you need 8 1.2v sub c cells, no more than 1100mah, but you can use up to 1300-1500mah but they tend to be harder to fit into the pack. this will bring you to the 12v you need. as for the charger, i use a good quality rc charger. however this an get expensive if your not into the sport. i recomend this one:
TowerHobbies.com | TOWP0170 Tower Hobbies AC/DC Digital Peak Charger w/LCD
it's cheap and well made. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE A 12v BATTERY CHARGER FOR YOUR CAR!! it isnt the correct charger to use. it must be for mimh/nicad or nicad only. nothing else!

the reason these didn't take off has nothing to do with the "extra weight" as some would say, nor the extra cost, (an extra 30 bucks).
it had everything to do with the chargers they were supplying with the saw. they were known to over charge the batteries no matter how you followed the instructions and it was finally all the warrenty issues that killed the electric start as there was lots of complaints both from customers and shop owners.
if you find a stock charger- DO NOT USE IT AT ALL!! keep it for the shelf to sit beside the saw

It takes 10 x 1.2 cells to = 12 volt, the cells are coupled in 5 sets of 2 to fit in the battery pack.

I do use my trickle charger on the saw without any problems.

I also made a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the saw, seems to work O.K. as well.

The saw is a nice GTG novelty, but not one that I would choose to run every day given other choices, and I do have a few other choices.

I also have the 5-10E but I won't bother replacing the batteries in that one, they were too expensive in my opinion at nearly $80 around here.

I am still looking for a 10-10E to complete the set.

Mark

It takes 10 x 1.2 cells to = 12 volt, the cells are coupled in 5 sets of 2 to fit in the battery pack.''

i have no idea why i typed 8:msp_tongue:

''I do use my trickle charger on the saw without any problems.''

''I also made a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the saw, seems to work O.K. as well.''

this is statement is is dangerous. and just because it works for you doesnt mean it's the right way to do it. it's like saying 'i've drivin drunk before and i've never crashed'....
one false move with these and that batt pack becomes a nice little smoking melt down. probably taking the saw with it in the process.
you said it your self, to rebuild the battery pack is expensive. why risk it for the sake of 30-40 bucks on the proper charger?
then you'll find you can use that charger on various other items that use nimh/nicad batteries. mine has come in very handy bringing back old cordless drill batts many times, let alone kids toys that use the same ones.

''The saw is a nice GTG novelty, but not one that I would choose to run every day given other choices, and I do have a few other choices.

I also have the 5-10E but I won't bother replacing the batteries in that one, they were too expensive in my opinion at nearly $80 around here.''
if it's costing you this much to replace the batteries, you need to do more research and buy the batteries from a better source, then put the pack together yourself. it takes very little time and is easy to do.
it shouldn't cost more than 25 bucks for the batteries, straps and shrink wrap to do one saw. add the price of the charger in the link and voila!

''I am still looking for a 10-10E to complete the set.''
so am i :clap: it would look good beside my 310e and 510e sitting at all weather small engines.

"Smoking melt down?" Nawwwwwwww!

NiCds are about the most robust and stable battery packs out there.

Overcharge 'em and they just get warm and lose some useful life.

Charging a 10-cell pack from your cigarette lighter, you'll NEVER get them fully charged, let alone overcharge them to the point of a "smoking melt down..."

8-cells, you can overcharge and damage the packs on a lighter socket, but 10 cells, no.

Still it's best to have a dedicated "peak detect" NiCd charger for best performance and best longevity...

I fly electric model airplanes, and am a respected expert that field in my other life. We used to use these packs all the time, until Lithium technology took over.

if you over charge or improperly charge nimh/nicads they can get hot enough to melt the plastic wraping (shrink wrap) on them. this will lead to the batteries coming into direct metalic contact with one another and they will arc across the outer shells, resulting in more heat. just because you personaly haven't been witness to this happening and being a "respected expert" on the subject doesn't mean it doesnt happen (and often) and still doesn't make it the right way to do something. at the very possible least, you gonna loose the very rare battery enclosure off the back of that saw.

i've been in the nitro/electric rc car/truck sceen longer than most. still run a busy track out in my back yard and see well over 15-20 people a week here. and this has happened more than a few times while somebody had acciently either over charged or just dropped the batt pack.
here's a google maps view of my track:
8903 gosford rd. north augusta on canada - Google Maps

charging the battery pack in the saw with the 'regular car' 12v charger wil also over tax the rectifier in the line between the charging/starting coil, resulting in added heat and/or damage. as it isn't meant to flow more than a couple of amps. if your doing this, your treading very close to wrecking a good charging system. and a battery pack.

:hmm3grin2orange:i wonder if you could make a lipo/liion work in one of these with the proper votage cut and adapter.....:hmm3grin2orange:

you can get the sub c cells at a good rc hobby shop. you need to use nicads and ONLY nicads. nimhs will ruin the charging circut on the saw. you need 8 1.2v sub c cells, no more than 1100mah, but you can use up to 1300-1500mah but they tend to be harder to fit into the pack. this will bring you to the 12v you need. as for the charger, i use a good quality rc charger. however this an get expensive if your not into the sport. i recomend this one:
TowerHobbies.com | TOWP0170 Tower Hobbies AC/DC Digital Peak Charger w/LCD
it's cheap and well made. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE A 12v BATTERY CHARGER FOR YOUR CAR!! it isnt the correct charger to use. it must be for mimh/nicad or nicad only. nothing else!

the reason these didn't take off has nothing to do with the "extra weight" as some would say, nor the extra cost, (an extra 30 bucks).
it had everything to do with the chargers they were supplying with the saw. they were known to over charge the batteries no matter how you followed the instructions and it was finally all the warrenty issues that killed the electric start as there was lots of complaints both from customers and shop owners.
if you find a stock charger- DO NOT USE IT AT ALL!! keep it for the shelf to sit beside the saw
Thanks for the info. I just found a 3-10E and need (want) to replace the batteries.

Back