mcculloch pro mac 500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifixthings

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, this thing is old, really old, and ive stripped the whole thing and cleaned it all out, all the fillters, everything. I tried to start it and it will run but if i put it in idle it dies. Ive done this about ten times and it just wont idle. Help if you can. Thanx in advance.

Without seeing or hearing your machine, I am going to give you my $0.02. I would start with the fuel line. Did you clean the gas tank well? This will plug your new gas filter quickly. Good luck.

Without seeing or hearing your machine, I am going to give you my $0.02. I would start with the fuel line. Did you clean the gas tank well? This will plug your new gas filter quickly. Good luck.

I've seen where a cleaned air filter, still doesn't flow enough air, in particular the ones on these old saws. As a test try a short test run without the air filter and see if that helps. Also don't just clean the fuel filter, replace it. I agree on the fuel line, if its falling apart it could also be plugging your idle circuit in your carb

well the filter for the gas tank was just a piece of sponge in the fuel line, and it was pretty dirty and no gas would flow throughit, so i washed it and the gas would flow better. it wouldn't start still so i boost started it with some wd-40 and it run, but i had to keep the revs up, so my guess is the isnt enough fuel getting to the engine

well the filter for the gas tank was just a piece of sponge in the fuel line, and it was pretty dirty and no gas would flow throughit, so i washed it and the gas would flow better. it wouldn't start still so i boost started it with some wd-40 and it run, but i had to keep the revs up, so my guess is the isnt enough fuel getting to the engine

yup, I've washed them before, never a permanant fix. For a few bucks you can get a new fuel filter and fuel line. This is the 1st thing I do to a saw I get after a visual inspection and a compression test.

my only problem is that they dont sell air or fuel filters for my saw, ive tried. someone told me to use a furnace filter and for the fuel use a sponge with about the same density as the previous filter.

:deadhorse:

You dont' have to buy a fuel filter specifically for your saw. Just buy a good one from Stihl or Husky that fits the diameter of fuel line you're using. I've read several times (translation: no personal experience) that those old foam filters fall apart and plug the carb up pretty good.

Ian

You dont' have to buy a fuel filter specifically for your saw. Just buy a good one from Stihl or Husky that fits the diameter of fuel line you're using. I've read several times (translation: no personal experience) that those old foam filters fall apart and plug the carb up pretty good.

Ian

took the words outa my mouth. Buy a stihl or husky fuel filter

well i went to a stihl dealer and he said he had nothing i could use
One word,nonsense.

Oh,by the way,just where did this mystery Pro Mac 500 come from.Now just to let you know I have the complete lists of just about every McCulloch ever made,on paper as well as Micro fiche.For the life of me I don't see that model listed any where.Just in case I overlooked something ,a picture sure would be nice showing this mystery saw that seems impossible to find a fuel filter for.

In the case of real world information regarding known models,just cut the old filter off and replace it with a generic filter,they make several sizes at about a buck a piece.The saw doesn't care if it's a Stihl,a Mac filter or a Homelite,they all work.

well i went to a stihl dealer and he said he had nothing i could use

to put it as nicely as possible, your stihl dealer is an idiot. As another posted, cut the old filter off and replace it with another of the same line size. I've done this on every mac I have owned. Better yet, go to Baileys, a sponsor here, or Curt Bailey, also a sponsor here and order a filter after you cut off the old one and measure the line size.:rockn:

Back