McCulloch Timber Bear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil Tank To Crankcase Sealer

OK, I'm always one to research a product recommendation and upon researching the hondabond/threebond sealer, I found reports that the product is not the same as the original "grey" sealer and is now a silicone based sealer (conflicting reviews/comments). It was also reported that the hondabond is about $11/2.5oz (before tax), that you would likely be told that it would have to be ordered and it would take a week to receive.

So, I thought about Napa. I have found unordinary products there before. I went to the Napa website and clicked on "sealers/gasket makers" (or something like that) and came up with about 300+ products. After shuffling through the pages I found Curil K2 (75ml, about 2.5oz, $8.99), a German product (by the way... it's only listed at Napa as "Block Sealer"). I also got the Permatex 242 threadlock 6ml (only listed under "threadlock 242").
And, the icing on the cake.... They had 1/4" Tygon ($1.50+tax/foot).

Here is a link to the Technical Datasheet... http://www.elring.de/pdf/compound/Curil_K2_en_scr.pdf
This datasheet doesn't give you a lot of the other information you can find online.
Should be a good product. The VeeW/Pourshe clubbers use it on the crankcases of the horizontally opposed engines. There's also Curil T, but it's a little extreme for this application. Also, Napa has Curil T listed as being a silicone base. (?)

I just wish they had "green" bar oil. (I'm going to search the other threads on this subject)

Any thoughts?

D

Last edited:
i know this thread is a month old but i just rebuilt my timber bear and im wondering what engine oil to use. 40:1 or 20:1??? (im a newb but im trying:msp_wink:)

i know this thread is a month old but i just rebuilt my timber bear and im wondering what engine oil to use. 40:1 or 20:1??? (im a newb but im trying:msp_wink:)

As you would any other saw, use a quality two-stroke oil.

Yep, go ahead and mix it at 50:1, the newer technology lube will not fail.

600134 is a Pro Mac 605, the -14 indicates it is a later model. My lists only go up to 1987 which stopped at -06.

With McCulloch it is often difficult to say with certainty as they changed things around quite a lot, but that saw would be 3.7 In³ or 60/61 cc depending on how you round it.

The spike that fits the 600 Series saws also fit the later 10 Series and PM 700/800 etc. PN 93668. They often come in a two pack if you find NOS units so you can mount them inboard and outboard.

This particular saw is the McCulloch 600 Series (610?) sold as a Montgomery Wards TM something or other.

189056d1309464090-dscn2594-jpg

I have never seen a workshop manual for these, but I do have several different IPL's, if you are interested PM me with an e-mail address and I can send one.

Mark
Hey Mark,

I have posted a few times today as I am a new member. I just bought a McCulloch PM 605 today at an estate sale and I am looking for an owners manual. If you have anything that will tell me how to get this saw ready to start, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
[email protected]

Hey Mark,

I have posted a few times today as I am a new member. I just bought a McCulloch PM 605 today at an estate sale and I am looking for an owners manual. If you have anything that will tell me how to get this saw ready to start, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
[email protected]
Go to the beg for manuals thread in the chainsaw stickies section and ask there. It shouldn't take long.

Go to the beg for manuals thread in the chainsaw stickies section and ask there. It shouldn't take long.
The Mac 605, 610, and 650 manuals are excellent. I still have my original, first published in 1977. Most of the instructions are still valid today and apply to many saws besides Macs.

Note: my 605 still smokes a little when you first start it. Let it run a little and it goes away.

The Mac 605, 610, and 650 manuals are excellent. I still have my original, first published in 1977. Most of the instructions are still valid today and apply to many saws besides Macs.

Note: my 605 still smokes a little when you first start it. Let it run a little and it goes away.
I have some hard copies and also an electronic copy but I have no way to get it on here as I only use the site from my phone. And yeah I really love my ipl's. They make everything better. I actually have a master mcculloch parts and pricing catalog that is really neat

Already sent ipl and service manual. Nobody has ever come forward with an owners manual in pdf.
Well, what that means is that Ray had defined a rainy day project for me:

(1) Scan the manual that I have, old as it may be, page by page.
(2) Save the scanned pages, one-by one as a combined PDF ready to attach to an e-mail. (not easy)

I suppose I could do that, but I had no idea anybody wanted one.

(2) Save the scanned pages, one-by one as a combined PDF ready to attach to an e-mail. (not easy)

I'm always looking for more info, I like all those old manuals.

2 or 3 members have asked in the last year. Mcculloch does not have it on their manuals download page.

Well, if I took the time to set my old computer up, I believe I have a Timber Bear user manual pdf from the 90's which would be generally applicable to the various 600 series saws as well. The 605 is a 55(ish)cc saw, just like the Timber Bear. I'd have to disconnect and move my new computer out of the way. I'll see if I can get the gumption up later today. I have a lot of irons in the fire. If not, I'll PM ya when I get it done swertz.

There's a lot of stuff I would like to retrieve off that computer. If my new computer had an IDE connector I'd just hook that old hard drive up and bingo, but my new computer is SATA. One of these days I'll burn that slave hard drive to cd(s). Procrastination.....

If my new computer had an IDE connector I'd just hook that old hard drive up and bingo, but my new computer is SATA.
Get an IDE to USB adapter. They have SATA to USB adapters too - both extremely useful.

Back