McCullough 110 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t20sl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a Mac 110 and the pull starter keeps losing tension. Steel dogs look good as does the plastic piece they engage. Any ideas?

If the rope is too long, or the spring is not tight enough the rope can come off the pulley and lose a "wrap", particularly if you let it snap back. Along that line, if the starter housing is cracked or broken or the starter pulley is chipped or badly warped the rope can jump of the pulley and lose a wrap.

Another possibility is the "hook" on the spring is compromised or the starter housing is cracked or broken allowing the hook to slip off the starter housing and let the spring come loose.

Mark

If the rope is too long, or the spring is not tight enough the rope can come off the pulley and lose a "wrap", particularly if you let it snap back. Along that line, if the starter housing is cracked or broken or the starter pulley is chipped or badly warped the rope can jump of the pulley and lose a wrap.

Another possibility is the "hook" on the spring is compromised or the starter housing is cracked or broken allowing the hook to slip off the starter housing and let the spring come loose.

Mark
I will check the rope pulley again. Spring hook is ok. I don't let rope snap back. I adjust so it has good spring tension but usually after starting a couple of times the handle onlt retracts part way.

There isn't a whole lot that catches the inside of the spring to the plastic starter pulley. If either are a little worn or deformed I can see how the spring can easily jump.
some pictures would be helpful, I have several examples of those parts laying around to compare with.

Thanks. Evidently had too much rope. Shortened rope, wound spring a lillt tighter and works fine now. Was going to drill pully and put split pin thru eye of spring. Would work but did not need to.

Latest posts

Back