• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy MDG1 analyzer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t waste your money they are an 800$ paper weight ,you can run all the checks on any given unit an all electronics test good when indeed they are not. Leading you to chase other areas not in need of attention. There is nothing on an m tronics saw that can not be diagnosed mechanically. Husqvarna has a further advanced computer hook up then Stihl ever will. At least there they actually have a system that relays trouble codes an have a data sheet that corresponds with the codes . Stihl only gives you a bar chart an tell you if it’s on the corners of the green it needs a reset , which again can be done with out the mgd1 basically the Stihl m tronics diagnostic is a joke! Don’t waste your money. It also baffles me how Stihl has been fighting with the weak black solenoid valves since 2014 ,then has since upgraded the 362/661 but is still currently producing to date the 261/201tc with these known defective valves. Any other company would have went bankrupt by now... with a reoccurring problem lasting this long. Guess it shows who’s got the most money in the game...also probably why they are number one they buy everybody’s loyalty! Yes husky had issues but theirs were assembly quality control problems mainly due to air leaks the auto tune could not compensate for. Not directly auto tune electronic issues! An they at least try an went ahead and had numerous updates on both carbureation and electronics to try an remedy the issues they felt necessary at the time to deal with! Guess stihls just to high an mighty to care about their customers in that aspect. If they did they would have pulled that valve 5110 known to be a pos after the first two years an recalled them an replenished all its dealers stock with the 5104 valve. NAH their still using them in current production saws to deplete stock . Piss poor management if you ask me when professionals are having to have those 5110 valves replaced monthly even with their “updated” 3522 higher micron fuel filters!

It’s amazing the **** company’s with mega bucks get away with these days. But after all it’s a big numbers game anymore no one cares about the quality or the customer! What happened to those old Stihl saws that lasted 30 years an could be rebuilt until there was nothing left. The saws that gave Stihl the reputation it has today? Well sad story is.... they will only ride on their name so long before they end up like the off brands from years ago that gradually faded away. Just as eventually al we will be left with in the repair industry is techs that are nothing more then parts changers, the art of setting up a saw by ear will be gone in the next ten years with all this electronic carb an fuel injection stuff, I already see the ill repercussions of end users not knowing what a chainsaw should sound like wot no load. That has been tainted with the whining drone of saws bouncing off rev limiters or just simply screaming with little to no 4 stroke on the high end! An these clowns that cut with dull chains wonder why they go thru 3 saws a year! Epa has ruined a lot of what has been solid theory for decades in the saw industry , when the highways are littered with 18 wheelers that are emissions exempt with injection pumps wound all the way up from shops trying to get that truck to make company’s that last nickle in revenue by hauling some of the heaviest loads imaginable. Pouring black soot in the air as they climb steep inclines.... but yea 2 stroke is the cause of 75% of the worlds pollution . Yo have got to be kidding me!

I’ve got one, they work great. Shortfuze82, you need to dial back on the coffee. At the very best that was a highly opinionated narrative. It’s OK, you are entitled. Maybe you should sell him your $800 pos so he can see for himself. My guess is he’ll be pleasantly surprised. Anyway Austin, it’s not perfect, but it’s good. I paid $714 +tax for mine, and Stihl warranted a defective Bluetooth dongle that refused to work. I’ve used it to successfully set up and explore my 462 and 500i and used it to correctly diagnose a faulty ignition module in my 201TC-M. I bought mine at the dealer.

I’ve got one, they work great. Shortfuze82, you need to dial back on the coffee. At the very best that was a highly opinionated narrative. It’s OK, you are entitled. Maybe you should sell him your $800 pos so he can see for himself. My guess is he’ll be pleasantly surprised. Anyway Austin, it’s not perfect, but it’s good. I paid $714 +tax for mine, and Stihl warranted a defective Bluetooth dongle that refused to work. I’ve used it to successfully set up and explore my 462 and 500i and used it to correctly diagnose a faulty ignition module in my 201TC-M. I bought mine at the dealer.
Have you used the Husky software at all Jim? You know, for science and stuff.

If he used the husky software he wouldn’t be talking so highly of the overpriced Stihl mgd1 lmao , areas that Stihl needs to improve:

allowing you to transfer existing run time to data logbook when replacing controllers an other components,as husky has done from day one

Giving you actual printable trouble code sheet to the technician,as husky does? as well as a printable data sheet to hand to your customer after the repair is finished???

using a better system than a childish bar chart for fuel trim and only giving you a sheet in gold school that tells you possible seizure fuel numbers above sea level, then telling you if it’s on the edges of the green there’s an issuue .... that you need to find

and the nicest one would be .... drum roll please a way to recalibrate the saw with the software by pressing a button like husky does instead of running the saw wide open no load to recal the max rpm when you know someone’s gonna try that eventually with a partially clogged inlet screen an squeak a motor

so yea, in a nut shell for the money you pay it is far inferior as to what it can actually do an most times will only test the wiring hence the early version before they had to go back an update the software would tell you the defective solinoids would check fine an they were clearly worn internally and leaking. Now they went back an have a completely separate solinoid check tab , procedure. But oh don’t get excited it still requires you to MANUALLY check the valve in question with your pressure vac gauge ! Pretty sad when husky has a feature where you can electronically trip an audibly hear their fuel solinoid working or not.
Oh oh but wait there’s more can your fabulous mgd1 program an update an existing carb as huskys can ? Husky runs firmware updates Stihl can not. Are stihls carbs programmable? NOPE I’ve already build 550 xp for guys programmed with 545 tunes for guys that didn’t want the extra 1000 rpm but still wanted the lightning fast acceleration you get from the crank stuffers an increased crankcase velocity . Especially once the 550 saws stared eating crank bearings. Which btw eradicated the issue!

Moral of the story Entiled ? NOT QUITE more like experienced with over ten years in the industry watch next time before you start throwing ignorant words like that out, when most likely all you are is mostlikley a hobbiest at best.
Any other tech can verify anything written in this post to be 100% truth .some of us go thru life riding other people’s shirt tails .... others decide to take a different route.

If he used the husky software he wouldn’t be talking so highly of the overpriced Stihl mgd1 lmao
How much is the Husky home kit? I've only messed with it at the dealer. I'll never buy it because my guy is real good about giving me access but I'm curious.

Question for ya ? You Stihl platinum certified?or do you work for a dealer for that matter, or have any type of factory training ? If not that’s where I’ll leave this post end because at that point there is no possible way you could be as up to date on my knowledge level on the newest products being released. Old stuff yea sure you may have more hands on which is valuable as well but let’s get real here how many professional tree trimmers and or loggers keep a saw longer then 4 years or 700 hours if they make it that far with everyone’s lack of maintenance these days.

Was that a yes or no on my question on your credentials??? That’s all I was asking for ,not your childish aditude . Please amuse us all an clue us in on what you do for a living.... we’re all waiting patiently with pop corn
Judging by what you say you paid for your mgd1 you most likely have a friend working for a dealer at best or you would have paid close to cost which is around 509$ so that about sums it up .

It is just that very amusing when you put a hobbiest up against a professional like myself that is one of the few that still takes pride in their work an tries to make me look like I’m the clueless one out of the discussion. I’ve put my time in chose to go the trade route an work with my hands unlike half the world that sits behind a desk these days an is afraid of manual labor.

So you think what you do is witchcraft? Cuz a lot of dudes on this site do the same **** in their garage. Just sayin'.

Also, what does one of these AT or MT analyzers have to do with "working with your hands"?o_O

Back