Stihl MDG1 Diagnostic Software

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillettadam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought an MDG1 for doing some saw repairs and unfortunately Stihl seem to have made the software much harder to get hold of than it was previously. Does anyone know the best way to obtain the software now? I have contacted the retailer I got the MDG1 from but they haven't got back to me yet.

There has to be an official Stihl label with your username and password ,included in the MDG1 kit.
You will have to use those ( name & password ) to log in and download the software.
Used to be a dealer-only download ,but it's not anymore.

All that effort and expense to tune a saw? :rolleyes: Now the nonsense with constant upgrades, ever increasing expensive parts, outdated modules, systems and further limitations, all for what? … a screw driver… as the above commenter say, ditch it, get your money back and don’t support m-tronic. Sure, it works great, when it works, but be prepared to bend over when you need parts replaced, cus they’ll take you for a ride and empty your wallet at the same time.

All that effort and expense to tune a saw? :rolleyes: Now the nonsense with constant upgrades, ever increasing expensive parts, outdated modules, systems and further limitations, all for what? … a screw driver… as the above commenter say, ditch it, get your money back and don’t support m-tronic. Sure, it works great, when it works, but be prepared to bend over when you need parts replaced, cus they’ll take you for a ride and empty your wallet at the same time.
And, the actual usefulness of the hardware and software is very very limited. People think you plug it in and all your problems are solved. Basically, I find the only worthwhile feature is the hours. Very helpful when someone whines it has no hrs, and theres 1000 on the hr meter. I have had the system since it came out.
You don't even need it for the magical reset, that cures all ills. They will reset themselves.
What it comes down to is most haven’t a clue about the operational principles of a saw.
Electronic or conventional.
Most repairs are achieved by throwing parts at it. Which, for the most part aren’t even needed.
Parts aren’t that expensive in the US.
The problem is the dealers who price gouge and blame Stihl.

With the newer SDS 2.0 you need an email / username that’s associated with a dealer account to use the software.

Back