57cc Honda powered MTD Ridgeline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't keep up on new equipment only on what I still have and use to maintain and repair and rebuild. I did do a crapload of warranty repairs at Home Depot, but I quit in 2010, I really did not like working on the some of the total junk they sold to people. If people want quality it has to be paid for. It's like comparing a Tao Tao with a Ferrari. This saw I got was cheaply priced, It is the last one I will buy new.

One thing I never do is apologize on any forum. Bad enough I have to apologize to my wife regularly. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it and I'll leave it at that. My very good and longtime friend lives in Maine (Bar Harbor) and he also says stuff on forums and never back tracks either.

One thing I never do is apologize on any forum. Bad enough I have to apologize to my wife regularly. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it and I'll leave it at that. My very good and longtime friend lives in Maine (Bar Harbor) and he also says stuff on forums and never back tracks either.
I do not backtrack, I just get sent to banned camp for being blunt. I put things in a clear, concise, and to the point manner.

I probably should not allude to this but the doctors have given me 6 months give or take to live. I have a non operative condition that will cause me to die at some point. At least my good friend owns the local tractor dealership and he will liquidate all that and there is a boatload. Guns are going to family and that leaves the shop with 4 lathes (one CNC), a toolroom surface grinder, 2 Bridgeports (one Versa Trak), A hydraulic arbor press, 2 TIG machines, 2 Mig Welders, gas axe, floor drill press. Farm is paid off as is my land in northern Michigan, have 2 rentals just about paid off and 2 roll around tool chests full of hand tools plus all the precision tools, sine plates and all the machines are fully tooled as well. Have not decided on the chainsaws as of yet but I will at some point, plus my 1997 Ford F350 crew cab pickup 4x4 I bought new in 97 and it's never been in the snow. All proceeds go to my wife who has stood by me for the last 38 years, the last 5 have been trying for her but soon it will all end.

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. I've had a damn good run and nothing to be sorry about.

Almost forgot, 3 motorcycles too. 2 Triumphs, one with a sidecar and a Kawasaki KLR 650

I spent a lifetime collecting stuff.

Yes, we are, blunt is a good way to be with me. I admit I can be very obstinate and close minded at times. This is one of the best info sites I have found EXCEPT I do not read or post on premix and oil threads any more. I am laughing. I no longer keep up with new tech I no longer work in the automotive trade (1999) I work on all kinds of OPE for hobby money. Lots of older csaws. generators, hydraulic log splitters etc. for mostly landscaping companies, and friends of friends. Cutting and selling firewood is an addiction we share I have had it for at least 55 years along with 2 wheeled motorsports so almost anything that is remotely connected to it I use, collect and repair. BUT, all older equipment. If someone brought me a new model Stihl 200 or 500i I would send them to the dealer should be under warranty anyways LOL. Thanks again for the info.

I probably should not allude to this but the doctors have given me 6 months give or take to live. I have a non operative condition that will cause me to die at some point. At least my good friend owns the local tractor dealership and he will liquidate all that and there is a boatload. Guns are going to family and that leaves the shop with 4 lathes (one CNC), a toolroom surface grinder, 2 Bridgeports (one Versa Trak), A hydraulic arbor press, 2 TIG machines, 2 Mig Welders, gas axe, floor drill press. Farm is paid off as is my land in northern Michigan, have 2 rentals just about paid off and 2 roll around tool chests full of hand tools plus all the precision tools, sine plates and all the machines are fully tooled as well. Have not decided on the chainsaws as of yet but I will at some point, plus my 1997 Ford F350 crew cab pickup 4x4 I bought new in 97 and it's never been in the snow. All proceeds go to my wife who has stood by me for the last 38 years, the last 5 have been trying for her but soon it will all end.

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. I've had a damn good run and nothing to be sorry about.

Almost forgot, 3 motorcycles too. 2 Triumphs, one with a sidecar and a Kawasaki KLR 650

I spent a lifetime collecting stuff.
I am saddened to here that. I only know you from this site, the minute you said Starrett and machine shop it was an automatic reflex to read. Old school is good school but the younger knowledgable group is dwindling fast in this field. I do see some on here that know the stuff well or they wouldn't be on here. I am 68 and my body is failing quick. When I feel my heart thumping in the mountains working I just hope it stops there and I'm covered with sap and wood chips when I hit the ground with a saw in my hands, Might be a mess if it's rapped up with a big bar, but the autopsy won't take much cutting. That is if the coyotes don't get me first I just hope you had a fulfilling happy life.
I usually don't unless I've slipped and been obstinate. I had to get off reading the premix and oil threads. I could be downright rude. Some of those guys just downright lie about credentials and stuff they are assuming by their opinions and unsupported facts. Oil come on...opinions? the old saying is correct and some oil has the same scent.

I'll celebrate my 73rd birthday on July 16th, my last. I think we all want to be immortal but it don't work that way. The day you are born is the day you begin the adventure to the end.

Maybe I'll list my 090 on here. Bought it new the same time I bought the 028. Hell, I cannot even start it anymore, have to have a buddy start it. All I can do to start the 028 actually but the little CS Echo I bought is easy peasy and so is the Timber Wolf.

Just put a new loop on the 028 (and flipped the bar and of course checked the bar for burrs), none. Bought the loop I put on about 8 years ago and it's a full tooth 325 chipper, never had one before, always skip tooth. Lot of teeth on it. Hope the 28 can pull it. I do know I won't be cutting the rakers.

Have a load of chipper knives to sharpen and 3 anvils too. I'll probably give all the saws and my chain grinders to a buddy of mine who makes his retirement selling campfire wood to the local campgrounds. All of it is just objects now, hanging around my neck that need to be gone. My wife don't have a clue about any of it and don't need to.

Guns go to family members who hunt, I come from a family of big game hunters. Think I've hunted in about every state and province. The walls in our home are covered with mounts.

Been a fun trip. I'd like it to continue but it's not my choice now.

Honda has nothing to do with this saw, or any saw unless you took a gc engine and strapped a bar to it.
Well actually Honda has string trimmer/brushcutters in 25 and 35cc sizes and offers a variant like couple shaft in Makita, Stihl has a similar set up perhaps combi something. There is a pole pruner attachment for this variant so one can get into a Honda chainsaw in the pole saw configuration. The Honda brushcutters I have were made in Thailand not China. The last one would not run right a generic replacement carb made it close to running as good as the prior ones.

Well actually Honda has string trimmer/brushcutters in 25 and 35cc sizes and offers a variant like couple shaft in Makita, Stihl has a similar set up perhaps combi something. There is a pole pruner attachment for this variant so one can get into a Honda chainsaw in the pole saw configuration. The Honda brushcutters I have were made in Thailand not China. The last one would not run right a generic replacement carb made it close to running as good as the prior ones.
I think those are 4 stroke engines. I'm really only familiar with Stihl FS models and a few of the Troybilt 4 stroke. Honda as far as my research goes is thinking about building a hybrid 2 stroke for racing but they don't build 2 strokers at present.

Honda did have some 2 stroke trimmers back in the 80-90’s
umk24 umk26 umk35
they were made by Shibaura and branded as Honda (I am not sure if Honda and Shibaura are related or was just a contract deal.
the Stihl fs74 fs76 was the exact same as umk24 but slightly different coverings. We use to get parts from either company depending on who was cheaper to fix both When they were same parts.
the Stihl fs86 fs106 fs88 and the old fs56 etc were all made for Stihl by Shibaura and Stihl had their own skin for them.

there was always a rumour that Honda was going to release a 4 stroke back pack blower using a engine I think from the eu1000 or other.
chainsaws they were dead against as they didn’t want to see another 3 wheel atv type of problem with safety.

I'll celebrate my 73rd birthday on July 16th, my last. I think we all want to be immortal but it don't work that way. The day you are born is the day you begin the adventure to the end.

Maybe I'll list my 090 on here. Bought it new the same time I bought the 028. Hell, I cannot even start it anymore, have to have a buddy start it. All I can do to start the 028 actually but the little CS Echo I bought is easy peasy and so is the Timber Wolf.

Just put a new loop on the 028 (and flipped the bar and of course checked the bar for burrs), none. Bought the loop I put on about 8 years ago and it's a full tooth 325 chipper, never had one before, always skip tooth. Lot of teeth on it. Hope the 28 can pull it. I do know I won't be cutting the rakers.

Have a load of chipper knives to sharpen and 3 anvils too. I'll probably give all the saws and my chain grinders to a buddy of mine who makes his retirement selling campfire wood to the local campgrounds. All of it is just objects now, hanging around my neck that need to be gone. My wife don't have a clue about any of it and don't need to.

Guns go to family members who hunt, I come from a family of big game hunters. Think I've hunted in about every state and province. The walls in our home are covered with mounts.

Been a fun trip. I'd like it to continue but it's not my choice now.
It sounds like you have made peace with it. I had a close medical brush with death and chemo extended my life so far 15 years. I have a sneaking suspicion it is knocking. I am through with the V.A. and the medical community at this point. Honestly don't care what happens to all my stuff. Lots of guns tools, vehicles. LOL. I. got a bunch of blood and stepkids I would truly love to be able to see them fighting over it. My wife doesn't even come in my shop, she has know idea of the value involved. My youngest step is the only one that does. I've been loading stuff up in his truck everytime he visits. He gets my big street bikes and gets all my handgun and rifles. The other kids aren't responsible and hellions all in there mid 40's and felons. I had a hard go at 2 wives after the military "cheaters" had kids that had to suffer through that. Oh well 3rd time and devoted. I know my creator and have made peace with him. When it happens it happens. Just hope it's quick.

Honda did have some 2 stroke trimmers back in the 80-90’s
umk24 umk26 umk35
they were made by Shibaura and branded as Honda (I am not sure if Honda and Shibaura are related or was just a contract deal.
the Stihl fs74 fs76 was the exact same as umk24 but slightly different coverings. We use to get parts from either company depending on who was cheaper to fix both When they were same parts.
the Stihl fs86 fs106 fs88 and the old fs56 etc were all made for Stihl by Shibaura and Stihl had their own skin for them.

there was always a rumour that Honda was going to release a 4 stroke back pack blower using a engine I think from the eu1000 or other.
chainsaws they were dead against as they didn’t want to see another 3 wheel atv type of problem with safety.
3 wheelers, OMG, all the guys that put their feet down when powersliding on motorcycles had a bad habit of doing it on 3 wheelers. Lots of broken legs. I was working for Honda shop then. Those 3 wheelers were a blast in the swamps.

In the mid 80's Honda sold a lot of O.P.E. equipment at there motorcycle dealerships. I worked on bikes but only put the O.P.E. together. They had a factory tech come in for warranty repairs on O.P.E. It was a while back but I kinda remember at one time they even made an outboard engine. I could be mixed up a little I worked on a lot of brands of outboard, Johnson. Evinrude etc. there was a lot of different ones in that field didn't do it long.

I think those are 4 stroke engines. I'm really only familiar with Stihl FS models and a few of the Troybilt 4 stroke. Honda as far as my research goes is thinking about building a hybrid 2 stroke for racing but they don't build 2 strokers at present.
Well upon reading the title here I was expecting a four stroke chainsaw. Then you showed a picture of the bottom of one. A few posts later it became apparent you had obtained a two cycle engine chainsaw.

As to the hybrid race motorcycle that is likely 15 or so years ago. Advanced radical combustion using the phenomenon of strange firing and not firing on descending a hill perhaps you have experienced that. They entered it in some desert race and did ok but never brought it to production.

Any current or even recent models would have been 4 stroke. Like I said before honda hasn't made any 2 stroke o. P. E. In many years. Basically as reiterated by @cscltd I thought it was shindiawa, not shibaura that made them, but wasn't sure enough to say anything.

Well upon reading the title here I was expecting a four stroke chainsaw. Then you showed a picture of the bottom of one. A few posts later it became apparent you had obtained a two cycle engine chainsaw.

As to the hybrid race motorcycle that is likely 15 or so years ago. Advanced radical combustion using the phenomenon of strange firing and not firing on descending a hill perhaps you have experienced that. They entered it in some desert race and did ok but never brought it to production.
they did have a hybrid that they called a 2 stroke. It actually used one overhead valve for exhaust only. All the ports in the cylinder were used for forced air and fuel intake. I don't think it was ever put into production, only tested on experimental bikes. Honda and Toyota have engineers that work 24/7 on extensive engine development. I use to really keep up on it. Slowing down with age keeps me on my own projects pretty much, CHAINSAWS. I think just from responses I get on some of my post. I'm just reading from the 3 or 4 younger guys that know and keep up on the new hi tech advances. Ask and you will get your answer. Sean seems to me to be pretty damn sharp on it. There are a bunch. Like Sean said, He's blunt so that proves to me he's not talking bovine fecal matter. If he doesn't know he will hit the internet for fact before he post. All I read recently was Honda is experimenting on a EPA friendly fuel injected Hybrid 2 stroke. You can go on their R&D site and check it out.

I have seen alot of 4 stroke chainsaws. most are just to heavy for the amount of power output. That tech is changing very fast with lighter weight alloys

Latest posts

Back