57cc Honda powered MTD Ridgeline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Penney

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got this saw new. Ordered online at Home Depot $249.00. Haven't bought a new saw in a long time. Soon as I saw the engine was made by Honda I had to have it. I took it up the mountain to harvest wood and break it in. Two cords of bucking and I believe it's ready for extensive mods. It is truly choked to death by EPA regs. Really want to see what the engine is capable of. The exhaust is miniscule. I haven't torn it down to look at the fuel system, cylinder or anything. I have owned more Honda two stroke motorcycles than I could keep count of and know that power gains are obtainable with simple mods. This saw is gonna be fun. I never cared for the MTD brand, but this one is built pretty solid and I know this Honda engine is capable of a lot of power gains. Any thoughts on it? Much appreciated.
20230701_091831.jpg

In all seriousness it's power sucks bad, it comparable with a stock MS180. It has a 22 inch .325 .058 bar and chain OEM. If the bar is more than half buried in green pine it won't pull it. I put a Stihl chain on it and it did a little better. The oem chain would not stand up to more than 4 cuts through a 20 inch log cheap chinesium. Sharpened it once and threw it in the junkpile.

I do like one thing about them. I retired 3 years ago. I have made a lot of hobby money repairing them along with Bolens, Crapsmans and all the poor quality semi disposable Chinese outdoor power equipment. I bought the saw because it wasn't expensive and a solid Honda platform. My curiosity got me, I am definantly going to max the power output of it, wishful thinking, maybe. After all it is a Honda. Considering how well it did in stock epa chokedown I think it's a good project to play with.

Unless honda changed their name they had absolutely nothing to do with this saw. Here is the epa certificate for your mentioned saw. It's a zenoah clone. Nothing to do with Honda.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230701_152927_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230701_152927_Drive.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 3
you need to check it out on web, you love to argue LOL. I checked it out close before I bought it.
I did. There is one website that says it's made by Honda, in China. Wich is laughable at best. The other comical thing is Honda hasn't made any 2 stroke o. P. E. In many years. Which is easily verifiable.

Soon as I tear the engine down I'll know if it's a Honda design. I know there are craploads of honda clones, they are in EVERTHING made. I've worked on outdoor power equipment since early 70's and did warranty repairs on Honda motorcycles for years and rode and worked Nothing you say isn't something I haven't heard before. Lipan, Zenoah are all are close to Honda quality. Hondas are made in China, Japan, and several other countries. It's All in the engineering design and the quality control. Doesn't really matter who copies it. Since the Clinton adminstration did NAFTA it opened the door wide for cloning and trademark design and engineering infringement widely available. Mr. Honda hated two strokes till it made him a lot of money winning races. It gave him time to perfect the 4 strokes to compete against them. I had CR's in 70's and watched Honda climb the ladder of dominance. I owned several XR's in the 80's Why? I worked for Honda. Got them for dealer cost. I am a Honda freak going on 68, I still ride my 09 VTX everyday. I have a 2020 Rancher. So you can squeal about Honda all day, it matters not.

Soon as I tear the engine down I'll know if it's a Honda design. I know there are craploads of honda clones, they are in EVERTHING made. I've worked on outdoor power equipment since early 70's and did warranty repairs on Honda motorcycles for years and rode and worked Nothing you say isn't something I haven't heard before. Lipan, Zenoah are all are close to Honda quality. Hondas are made in China, Japan, and several other countries. It's All in the engineering design and the quality control. Doesn't really matter who copies it. Since the Clinton adminstration did NAFTA it opened the door wide for cloning and trademark design and engineering infringement widely available. Mr. Honda hated two strokes till it made him a lot of money winning races. It gave him time to perfect the 4 strokes to compete against them. I had CR's in 70's and watched Honda climb the ladder of dominance. I owned several XR's in the 80's Why? I worked for Honda. Got them for dealer cost. I am a Honda freak going on 68, I still ride my 09 VTX everyday. I have a 2020 Rancher. So you can squeal about Honda all day, it matters not.
When did honda ever make a 2 stroke piece of power equipment? I'd love to know. And the company I gave the links for is the manufacturer listed on home depot website for the saw you bought. Has nothing to do with Honda. But you keep knowing everything.

You totally missed what Sean was saying.

YEP, Harbor Freight honda clones, almost all the parts are interchangeable with like sizes. made with dies and equipment Japan sold to them. Changed the sizes 10 cc's to make up for the slop in the old equipment and dies. They change the thread pitch so they are not a direct copy
I would love to see you interchange parts between them.

Latest posts

Back