Me see big tree. Me cut down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your method of thinking is flawed or ignorant.

I need heat: therefore I'm entitled to cutting them all down. Hangers, leaners, windfall, deadfall; I can see that for heat but c'mon man. Be real.

:agree2: Especially when there's pallets and scrapwood going to the dump, as well as tops from logging operations and excess from treework. Really twisted trees that are encroaching on nice ones I take down. I look for any excuse to take down a hardwood but it there's no reason to take it down then it stays. I've cut at least 3 1/2 cords of hardwoods since early Jan. and not a single one was a straight healthy tree. I leave the softwoods for the woodpeckers. If you're going to cut down a nice healthy tree at least make some furniture or lumber out of it.

"If you're going to cut down a nice healthy tree at least make some furniture or lumber out of it. "

That's what this one is going to be.

Nice. Looks like you guys are really utilizing that tree to it's fullest. Firewood and making boards and or furniture out of it. That looks like a pretty decent stick there!

attachment.php

Last edited:
You guys that live within driving distance from beetle kill and logging operations are sure hard on those that get their firewood where the opportunity presents itself. Sorry, I'm not going to sit in front of my stove 24/7 and feed it 1x4s off some dang pallet.

Den of coyotes? Sounds like a good reason to drop that tree with them in it.

Ian

"If you're going to cut down a nice healthy tree at least make some furniture or lumber out of it. "

That's what this one is going to be.

johnny--just dont post you cut trees down anymore-------too many lefty enviroMENTALists taking over this forum--using the latest high efficiency wood stove with the best cat converter--and they never pollute the air either-----they water the air above the chimney to keep down on the particulates---they also only burn pallets and other scrap wood--be sure and tell them if your going to HELP take a tree down--as they want to see it and tell you if it should come down, after doing a 30 enviroMENTAL study

Last edited:
Wow, big oak... only a very few on my property that would rival that...

Just out of curiosity, it doesn't look like much of a hinge was left on the butt in the picture you took...?

Wow, this is the last site that I would expect to encounter a bunch of tree huggers! Rough crowd considering the guy is just trying to heat his house. For the record, if someone offerred that tree to me I would would have cut it down too! The landowner wanted it gone, and someone was there to: 1) Remove it for the landowner, and 2) Utilize it to heat their home. What exactly is the problem?

johnny--just dont post you cut trees down anymore-------too many lefty enviroMENTALists taking over this forum--using the latest high efficiency wood stove with the best cat converter--and they never pollute the air either-----they water the air above the chimney to keep down on the particulates---they also only burn pallets and other scrap wood--be sure and tell them if your going to HELP take a tree down--as they want to see it and tell you if it should come down, after doing a 30 enviroMENTAL study

That's rough, getting called a 'lefty environmentalist.' Although I don't have a fancy wood stove, much less 'water the air above the chimney.' I don't know what's wrong with burning hardwood pallets and logging tops/ waste from treework either. It's free heat that goes to waste if it doesn't get used. And if you read my posts instead of just ignorantly calling me names you would have read me talking about how I've cut down 3+ cords of wood from trees in the last 2 months... The guy is making some furniture out of it like he said, which is cool by me, my main point was that it was too nice a tree to just split up and burn.

You know, I see both sides of this but would tend to agree with others about leaving the tree be. A tree that old is quite rare and that IMO makes it historic. With that being said it isn't my property and thus none of my business.

Am I a "lefty" or "treehugger"? Nah. Sometimes I just value a tree for its history.

A litle bit more ethics please

It is better to have some reverence for such a single standing landmark (tree).
Hedges and trees are a biotope for many animals. Make some hedges and you have a lot of advantages: wind brake and animals for hunting. It is not a big deal to plow around.

Cheers:mad:

Last edited:
Call me a lefty environmentalist if it suits you, but posting a thread TITLED:
ME SEE BIG TREE, ME CUT DOWN:just kind of turned me off. I see now you are certainly utilizing it's resource to the fullest and that is commendable. Originally it simply seemed that you were just wanting an excuse to cut down a tree and "firewood" was that excuse. I didn't mean to pi$$ anybody off as I've spent my life heating w/ firewood....shucks I have a degree in forestry and natural resources...I guess I just appreciate that large Oak. I'm stoked to see it going to use! You have great plans for it! Once again, didn't mean to come across as a "TREE HUGGER". Nice work you did there. I too was running a track-hoe and bucking some huge 49" rounds today. Take care.

-Chad
Whats with the mentality that I should have destroyed those Coyote's along with the tree they were in!? The coyote is a desirable animal in our farmland habitats. They feed on rodents and help prevent the damage that they may cause, and they literally clean up our forests and fields by scavenging on dead animals while also killing and thus keeping unfit/unhealthy animals from weakening the gene-pool. Hated to do this but I'm fond of Yote's.

and they literally clean up our forests and fields by scavenging on dead animals while also killing and thus keeping unfit/unhealthy animals from weakening the gene-pool. Hated to do this but I'm fond of Yote's.
#I was talking to a couple Coyoye hunters a few years ago about the explosion in the numbers around my area. I think it has alot to do with the "Urban Cowboys" who go "hunting" and take bad shots and mame the deer. The wounded deer eventually die and the Coyotes have refrigerated meat all winter. The 'yote hunters agreed with me on that one. I am not against hunters or hunting, just hate to see the gun slingers out every fall blasting the crap out of everything that moves. Those dumba$$e$ should be banned from hunting for life.

I live in cattle country... they're not so well liked here.

Ian

I do too, however the farmers around here talk bad about loose feral dogs more than coyotes. If I were making my living off of cattle however, and realized my income were in jeopardy as a result of a boom in coyote populations I may just leave a 22-250 sitting by the back door and a 45grain bullet with their name on it.

15 years ago in NW Ohio it made the front page when one was taken. Now it's common place to see 2-4 a day while hunting.
I'll drill em every chance I get.
The pheasants and rabbits love me for it.;)
They can be an invasive creature that needs controlled. (just ask the fox that USED to be abundant in our area)
We had enough predatory animals in our area, we didn't need them.

I hate to ##### too much though. The coon around here are worse and wayyyy MORE abundant than coyotes are. They'll raid the pheasant nests in the spring and break every egg wether they eat it or not.
Yep they get shot on site as well.

If only those old trees can talk.....the stories they could tell!

I have some trees up the hollow from my home that I know are bigger then that, they are all very large oaks. Seems to me they were here when the indians were. I just marvel at they size of them.......

Personally, I would never cut a tree down like that just for firewood. Now if it was dead then let the saws loose, but thats just me.

Trust me, I'm not a tree hugger or anything like that, but one has to see the beauty in something that large, and has been on this earth for a few generations.

To each his own, just use it all.........

Craig

they already tell alot of stories. you can tell what years there where droughts, good years, forest fires, ect. all in a tree's rings. :)

NOTE TO SELF: Never use "caveman language" to start a thread!

LOL! Right from the get-go I think that I struck a nerve with that one! I did think about what everyone is commenting on for a month before I cut this tree down but I think I thought it through right and put it to good use in the end. Everyone here has very good points about this tree. I wouln't have dropped it if it didn't fit the reasons I've already stated though. I've climbed one or two in my lifetime as a child,too!

NOTE TO SELF: Never use "caveman language" to start a thread!

LOL! Right from the get-go I think that I struck a nerve with that one! I did think about what everyone is commenting on for a month before I cut this tree down but I think I thought it through right and put it to good use in the end. Everyone here has very good points about this tree. I wouln't have dropped it if it didn't fit the reasons I've already stated though. I've climbed one or two in my lifetime as a child,too!

I mean this in all seriousness. Don't worry about it! Opinions are like... well, you know the saying :D Who cares what others might think? You had a better purpose for that tree, and acted accordingly.

I can't imagine anyone being a bleeding heart environmentalist on this board. The one thing we all enjoy is cutting wood in one way or another. :chainsaw:

MNGuns, I can see where your coming from but I don't have unlimited access to firewood like so many here do(I am envious!). This tree was close to my house and a friend of mine offered that his uncle who owns the field didn't care if it came down. I certainly didn't cut it down just to watch it fall, it was way to nice a tree for that.

Any guilt I have cutting it down is relieved when I don't see my 20 month old shivering on a cold January night!:)

Damn strait, Self preservation comes first and foremost. The tree will grow back.

Latest posts

Back