How bad is it to run a saw out of fuel under load?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are flat out crazy! I hear I run my engine out fuel to store it. Now they worry about running the engine out of fuel.

That's why I asked the question in the first place.

To me, there's a difference between "running a saw out of fuel AT IDLE" to store it ... and "running a saw out of fuel UNDER LOAD."
(See the thread title line at the top of the page.)

Idle = 2500 rpm. Max = 13,500 rpm.

But maybe that difference is all in my head. Which is why I posted the question. Thanks

Is there another way to know your low on fuel? I've always run saws till the shut off.
I'd never recommend doing that for obvious reasons makes me shudder just thinking about it lol

Idling an engine is much different than running it under load. I wouldn't run one without oil(with or without load), but I will say that having the oil pump running for a bit without the pump having anything to suck up means nearly all the oil gets drained, rather than leaving old oil within the oil system. I'd say it's a tossup between draining all the oil vs idling the engine without oil, although I do believe the latter to cause more wear to engine internal wear items(bearings, cam ect.)

As I change my oil every 3k(manual specs 6k or 10k) , I've never worried about leaving a little old oil in the engine, as it'll get diluted by new oil immediately.

Is there another way to know your low on fuel? I've always run saws till the shut off.

Idling an engine is much different than running it under load. I wouldn't run one without oil(with or without load), but I will say that having the oil pump running for a bit without the pump having anything to suck up means nearly all the oil gets drained, rather than leaving old oil within the oil system. I'd say it's a tossup between draining all the oil vs idling the engine without oil, although I do believe the latter to cause more wear to engine internal wear items(bearings, cam ect.)

As I change my oil every 3k(manual specs 6k or 10k) , I've never worried about leaving a little old oil in the engine, as it'll get diluted by new oil immediately.
IMHO running an engine without oil resulting in zero oil pressure to get all the remaining oil out is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard people doing there is no other way to describe it lol
If shortening an engines life is the goal yeah sure drain all the oil and letting it idle is a great way of reaching that goal.

IMHO running an engine without oil resulting in zero oil pressure to get all the remaining oil out is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard people doing there is no other way to describe it lol
If shortening an engines life is the goal yeah sure drain all the oil and letting it idle is a great way of reaching that goal.
zero oil pressure not under load for a limited time results in significantly less wear than doing so under load. All the adding seafoam/transmission fluid/gas hacks to "cleaning" an engine rely on this limited wear. I'm in no way saying it's ideal or even something I'd ever attempt. SImply stating that the destruction from limited oil flow(once the pressure drops to zero, there is nothing but load to push the last oil out).

Latest posts

Back