Me vs. the trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate those sweetgum trees....I've got one in the lower part of my yard that drops balls everywhere..My wife won't let me cut it down.

+2

Sweetgum

Don't smoke any meat with it! :)

BTW, the hickories will be among the last of the trees to bud out. Pecans (related to hickories) will follow.

True turnkey, now I don't feel so bad about giving the wood away.;) Here is the last pic. I ended up with a 30 ft log, 18" at top, 26" at base. Anyone want this log?:chainsaw:

True turnkey, now I don't feel so bad about giving the wood away.;) Here is the last pic. I ended up with a 30 ft log, 18" at top, 26" at base. Anyone want this log?:chainsaw:

If you were just a bit closer I'd take it for lumber. I have a few already and about this many more to haul in.

attachment.php

I just sold a bunch of sweetgum off my place. The large trees go for crossties and bring some decent money, the smaller ones go for pulp and don't pay much. I wish I'd taken a picture of a truckload of 24 inchers headed out for the sawmill.

Sweetgum

spiked balls, snow white wood with a little brown star in the center, saws like hot butter. and the middle leaf lobe looks like it flipping you off. just my opinion

Hamamelindaceace Liquidambar straciflua

I was thinking what the hell is that little brown star in the middle for. The wood did saw easy. I used the 346 for most of the cutting, the 029 for the bigger parts. I'm going to save a big part to sink the 044 into when it returns.

im logging a patch right now with a bunch of sweetgum. and my 066 just walks right through it, i love cutting that stuff. not sure what the star is for in the middle of the log. but it is almost always in there.

im logging a patch right now with a bunch of sweetgum. and my 066 just walks right through it, i love cutting that stuff. not sure what the star is for in the middle of the log. but it is almost always in there.

That's just the heart wood. I'm milling some now and the heart wood looks like walnut and the sapwood looks like maple. Strange but beautiful. Here's the butt of two trees grown together I'm slabbing.

attachment.php

Back