Measuring chainsaw bar "gauge"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albngore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Absent a digital caliper, I'm wondering if there is a way to determine the gauge of a bar? You know, the difference between .050 and .058 is a bit tough to eyeball and, lacking numbers on a bar and the fact the the correct chain might not actually be installed, I was guessing that someone on AS might have a way to make that determination. Thanks.

Got a 58 gauge chain? stick it in the bar, Also I've used 58 guage chain on a worn 50 guage bar many times....or 63 on a worn 58....make sure the driver will slide all the way around the bar......

The last time I had to check gauge on a bar with no indetification numbers was as these fellas suggested, by using three feeler gauges together to find the actual dimension. Be sure to clean out the bar groove well with a putty knife and measure down in past the initial 3/32" where the wear is greater than it is in the recess of the groove.

Thanks. Feeler or old chain--good ideas

Don't know why I didn't think of feeler gauges. That's an easy solution. Thanks.

Back