Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my copy (Thank You) today and would be glad to pay it forward. BUT...I'm having problems loading it on my computer. It doesn't autorun and when I open the disc and click the install icon I get the message "SETUP ERROR No installation data found!" I'm not sure if it is something with me/my computer or if the disc is missing some information

I'm not totally computer illiterate but this is frustrating me. I can open the PDFs but not install the software.

I scanned the thread and didnt see this particular problem. It looks like most of the bugs have been worked out.

I would like to get it installed before I make copies and send them out. I'd hate to send anyone a bum copy.

Anyone run into this or have a suggestion?

Last edited:
I got my copy from metalspec (Thank You) today and would be glad to pay it forward. BUT...I'm having problems loading it on my computer. It doesn't autorun and when I open the disc and click the install icon I get the message "SETUP ERROR No installation data found!" I'm not sure if it is something with me/my computer or if the disc is missing some information

I'm not totally computer illiterate but this is frustrating me. I can open the PDFs but not install the software.

I scanned the thread and didnt see this particular problem. It looks like most of the bugs have been worked out.

I would like to get it installed before I make copies and send them out. I'd hate to send anyone a bum copy.

Anyone run into this or have a suggestion?

what date is on your copy?

lumberjackchef, Streblerm, and 7oaks... New copies have been made! ...ones that work this time... I just need to get some more padded envelopes this weekend. They'll be in the mail on monday! Sorry for the junk discs!

Haven't heard yet, but mine is dated V3.33 and is dated 1 /2012. I do know that mine updates "manufacturers notes" everytime i load it....

Mine goes through the motions but has yet to download any tech updates. (It won't add new products to the catalog, btw.) So it looks like v3.33 is still the base application for the 2012 version. If it is still used for the 2013 edition only the catalog needs to be added....I think. When I installed my 2011 version over my 2010 version it simply updated to v3.33 from v3.29 and added the 2011 catalog leaving the 2010 catalog intact.

I got my copy of the media cat in the mail today. was very strange because I couldn't remember ever giving out my address. after further investigation i'm thinking I sent medic8852 a PM about potentially getting a copy. he didn't respond so I figured he must have gave his copies out but everything matches up because the package says it came from Illinois and he's from Illinois so thankyou very much medic. you didn't respond but that kept it a surprise :) I will be paying it forward as soon as I get some dvd disks. I read in the beginning of this thread that this media cat should be used on older windows computers so I was a little worried that it wouldn't work. just so everyone knows I installed this media cat on a brand new windows 8 computer and had no issues. didn't even have to set the date back. i'm off to explore the media cat. copies will be made soon :)

For Mac users, this disc will not load. However, if you open up the disc icon and follow this path:

STIHL / SCS 01-2012 (USA) / resources

you will find several hundred PDF files (among many other IMG files that will not open, and many BMP files) that contain service manuals, technical bulletins, etc. Have to root through it a bit to find what you might be looking for - *a little easier to search if you set your view to 'cover flow' if your OS allows this*.

Might not have access to everything on the disc, but this stuff is pretty helpful for guys working on their own saws.

Philbert

Last edited:
sorry guys, been away for a bit with some goings on around here. I do have a couple of extra copies available. Special thanks to PHILBERT for sending me a granberg pitch-n-gauge saw chain tool. Thanks Brother, I appreciate it.

got it loaded

Thanks Medic...Finally got out to the ranch (where my saws and old windows machine are) and loaded it successfully. Works great. Haven't had time to play with it - just enough to know it works (version 3.33). I'll try to make several copies on my Mac and take them to the Va GTG to hand out.

Again thanks!

Could I get a copy of the disc?

Hello, could I talk somebody into sending me a copy of a recent mediacat? I found one online, downloaded the 7 parts, unzipped them and burned a copy only to find the info in Russian, Polish, and German. Plus it was from 2012, so I had to reset my clock and pull the battery from the mother board. Fun fun!

Tried to get a local dealer to let me copy his disc...Key word "Tried." I've recently been working on some Stihl blowers, trimmers and saws for a few friends and while they are fairly easy to fix, i'd like to have better info.

If someone will send me a copy I will pay it forward and send copies out to others, as I have done for my Pioneer friends. And there is a way to share with the masses, via torrents, and I'd like to do that. The one I'm thinking of refuses to remove any content, so I doubt Stihl could get it removed as they seem to do everywhere else.

Thanks in advance! PM me for address.

WOW! Thanks to Beelsr and Treecutter for the quick responses! Disc is on its way. As allways, the folks here are so good...makes me proud. What a great community!

Last edited:
So everyone is good? These guys will send you a copy of the "Stihl Holy Grail"!!!!!!!

Free!!!!!!

You just need to forward 2 copies to keep the chain going!!!!!!

would like to get a copy also, what do I have to do or pay. thanks in advance

People who have been generously provided with the cd by someone else are then supposed to honor requests for copies as a "pay it forward" type of deal for their copy, and so on, and so on...

Some folks are keeping this rolling, others seem to forget their end of the deal once they receive a cd. Be nice for someone on the west coast to chime in to take care of your request.

:popcorn:

Back