Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reposting this for guys having trouble - especially with a Macintosh computer, where the software will not load, but individual files can be accessed:

Open 'STIHL' folder.
Open 'SCS 01-2010' folder.
Open 'Resources' folder.
Scroll down 2/3 of the way to find PDF files marked 'RA-xxxxx' (service manuals) and 'TI-xxxx' (technical information).
Open these with Adobe Acrobat, or something similar.

Philbert

It's a good idea to read a few pages of this thread to see how this works. If you don't want to read them all, then probably the last 10 pages or so would be enough to enlighten ya.

Anyways, the only "payment" required, is to make at least 2 copies of the disc & send them to the next people requesting them.

I read somewhere in here, that the use of currency is not recommended for liability reasons. Some guys even mailed to overseas recipients without accepting postage reimbursement. The big deal seems to be getting EVERYBODY to comply.

I don't know how to make copies. Is there a place that would do it or would I have to buy a copier?

Well, this is the one I got from my uncle, and it doesn't need rolled back. He got it here.

My bad. Sorry. Didn't realize there were non-expiring 2012 versions floating around, though there is a specific way to import a 2012 catalog into an earlier non-expiring v3.33 version. There's also a little .exe program out there that'll eliminate the date restriction on v3.33 that he may have used. 2013 is where the big change occurred and the v5.6 platform was introduced. So far, date roll-back is the only known way to keep it running past its expiration/license renewal date.

Yeah, just type in anything on the registration, no Nazi squad will come after you.

Wow, the program here automatically made Nazi
start with a capital letter!!!! Well Colorado and all!!!!!

I don't know how to make copies. Is there a place that would do it or would I have to buy a copier?
Yeah, that's me too. We're set up to do it, but I have to have somebody help my non-puter azz. I was hoping to get going on that today, but it looks like it's going to be tomorrow.

It has XP but I turned it in to a computer guy to put a newer Windows on it because I couldn't run my Quickbooks anymore, it said it was too old of internet program even though it was all up to date. I think he is putting Windows 7.
I'm not sure it has a DVD player on it, I'll have to look. I pretty much just use it for running the books and checking email.

If someone wants to send me it I'll get the computer guy to copy it, I'm sure he can do that?

It would certainly help me out, I've got easily a dozen Stihl saws that need to get fixed.

If you have Windows 8 they have everything that earlier Windows versions have, they just hide it better. I bought my new computer about a year ago and still am finding stuff on it that I didn't know it had..

Reposting this for guys having trouble - especially with a Macintosh computer, where the software will not load, but individual files can be accessed:

Open 'STIHL' folder.
Open 'SCS 01-2010' folder.
Open 'Resources' folder.
Scroll down 2/3 of the way to find PDF files marked 'RA-xxxxx' (service manuals) and 'TI-xxxx' (technical information).
Open these with Adobe Acrobat, or something similar.

Philbert

Not applicable to the v5.6 format...., unfortunately. There is, however, a method in v5.6 to copy files to alternate locations via the "print" function. Handy for just snagging specific IPL's and manuals of interest for easier access (or transportation) than having to use the whole program just to identify a part number.

I've yet to take the time to figure out how to otherwise access the .pdf's.

Not applicable to the v5.6 format...., I've yet to take the time to figure out how to otherwise access the .pdf's.
As a Mac user, I am just accustomed to being told that it is 'my fault' when things don't work ("Ooooooh, . . . . it's a MAC....!").

Not sure which version I have - there was some confusion if it was even copied correctly when I got it, and I was told not to redistribute it due to potential errors (?) But I was able to 'open' the disc (maybe 'explore' for Windows users?) and copy the .PDF files without all of the other stuff that did not work anyways on a Mac. I have to explore these files manually, but still a lot of valuable information. Thanks. Hope this helps others.

Philbert

Australian Discs?

Has anyone compared the contents of the Media Cat being passed around here and the ones available on eBay (appear to mostly be from Australia)? There are a bunch of them posted there, and claim to be genuine STIHL product, not copies. Around $10 - $12 with shipping. Might be an option around the date issues, or maybe they come with the same? Some say 'Mac Compatible', others say not. I would be interested to hear from anyone who may have tried one of these (even our friends down under).

Thanks.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-03-08 at 10.48.50 AM.png

Would be interested in what those are all about. Better get em while they're hot. They won't last long once Stihl gets wind of em.....unless maybe they're already expired and require either a license or a date roll-back in order to install and function correctly. And Mac compatible would certainly be a new twist to the platform.. Never heard of it being available in the Mac format.

Back