Mercury Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably a Disston with a Mercury engine. Those are great old saws. If I had one I'd completely restore it. They're not fast runners though. Top speed was like 1200 rpm.

It's probably a Disston with a Mercury engine. Those are great old saws. If I had one I'd completely restore it. They're not fast runners though. Top speed was like 1200 rpm.

Old mercury outboards were the origional "square" (short stroke) 2 strokes. Those things even in the 1950's would run 4000 rpms all day long under load when tuned right. Thats also why for decades Mercury's dominated outboard powered racing efforts. Bet my Merc-Disston 211 can run like an Mercury outboard of that time period as well. Why? Exactly the same ignition, Carb, Bore & Stroke, even pistons of an 11 cubic inch Merc of that time frame. They were the screamers of that time. Get some of the Mercury racing tricks of the time involved and its a 6000 rpm machine..all day long.

Last edited:
oh yes, out here one man packed the motor, one the bar and chain, gas and oil. Oh yes, didn't have to worry about mosquitoes, with 30wt motoroil for twostroke, they smoked enough to keep the bloodsuckers grounded.

Latest posts

Back