Mesquite Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Mulback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I have a good amount of dry Mesquite heartwood. I chopped up some pieces and filled a grilling chimney with charcoal sized chunks to grill some food. the amount of smoke this little amount of wood created was amazing to me as it was so heavy im wondering if this wood would be too smokey for a fireplace?
Once the wood started and settled down it burned so hot I think I could have melted my little grill
Anybody use mesquite for indoor fireplace?

Once the wood lit it burned very very clean, i could open a blacksmith shop with the heat.
really though the amount of smoke makes me wonder,

I spent many years in San Angelo, Tx while in the AF. Area was infested with Mesquite and I saw people selling it for firewood. Beyond that I have no idea of how it works out. I did wonder at the time of how long it takes to season that stuff since it is so dense. It is also a pretty wood and I thought it would make a great gunstock or pistol grips.

Harry K

It makes pretty good firewood. Here (SW OK) it is ready to burn in the winter if cut in the spring. It is the only wood I burned for years as I thought nothing else was worth burning, then I got to cutting hedge and black locust...

The problem with mesquite is all the work for the little amount of wood. Lots of brush and thorns to deal with and around here there is rarely a tree large enough that requires the piece to be split and they don't grow very tall. Kinda like a glorified bush.
Let it season and burn it. Good heat and good smell.

It makes pretty good firewood. Here (SW OK) it is ready to burn in the winter if cut in the spring. It is the only wood I burned for years as I thought nothing else was worth burning, then I got to cutting hedge and black locust...

The problem with mesquite is all the work for the little amount of wood. Lots of brush and thorns to deal with and around here there is rarely a tree large enough that requires the piece to be split and they don't grow very tall. Kinda like a glorified bush.
Let it season and burn it. Good heat and good smell.

yes was lucky and got some 20" rounds
This might be a different variety, I have about 1/2 cord will use it up. wood.jpeg

That was all I burned when I was stationed in Abilene. I would cut in the spring and by October it was more than ready to burn. I was also lucky enough to know a few people who lived on a ranch toward San Angelo that would let me cut whenever I wanted. They would mark trees and I would cut away with my mighty Poulan! I usually took 6 freshly sharpened chains to fill my 1/2 ton chevy.

6 chains wow, I got this from a tree service craigslist. got over there within 1/2 hour of listing. Checked the listing 2 hrs later was removed.
Stuff burns Very hot, going to add it to my almond in the fireplace.

I sell it every year. Very good wood.
Personally, I have never burned or smoked with it, but people over here love it!
They say it burns really hot and is highly sought after for smoking.
A lot of people dunk it in water before they use it to smoke.
I usually season mine for about 8 mo. to a year.
Very hard wood that lots of people use to woodwork as well.

QUOTE].
Only few have thorns, and they grow pretty big over here in Arizona. Well worth it

I would be concerned about overfire if it's being burned in a stove...5% moisture is very low and mesquite is known to burn hot as it is.

Back