Metal handle splitting axe.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Friskers x27 and was not impressed with it at all. thing would barely make a mark on most of my well seasoned ash. I returned it after trying to find out why every one thinks it is the one and only hand splitting tool.
Went and bought the husky , at least the husky doesn't just bounce off the big blocks and will even split around the edges of stuff the fiskers wouldn't even dent.

31DAHZGISoL.jpg

Watch for it on sale.

:D Al

I bought a Friskers x27 and was not impressed with it at all. thing would barely make a mark on most of my well seasoned ash. I returned it after trying to find out why every one thinks it is the one and only hand splitting tool.
Went and bought the husky , at least the husky doesn't just bounce off the big blocks and will even split around the edges of stuff the fiskers wouldn't even dent.

31DAHZGISoL.jpg

Watch for it on sale.

I'm not a die hard fanboy of Fiskars by any means, but I have to say I'm not convinced you gave the X27 a fair shake. I cut all kinds of wood, anywhere from dinky little 4" trees up to probably 36", and with all kinds of knots, crotches, etc. and I RARELY have to pull out my sledge & wedge on anything to get it split. Usually only soft, squishy wood with knots in it requires a wedge. I have to question your ability to split by hand if you can't "make a dent" in a round with a razor sharp piece of steel in your hands. If you usually split with a plain ol' maul, your technique with a Fiskars may need an adjustment before you discount it's ability and toss it aside. Just my $0.02, take it or leave it. I will admit that Husky splitter you posted does look nice, nicer than a black plastic handle.

I agree with @sledge&wedge. You need to give it a little time to get used to it. Fast swings make it work much better.

I haven't personally tried that style of Husky axe, but from folks who have used both that and the X27, most prefer the Fiskars. But if it works for you, that is what matters.

I'm not a die hard fanboy of Fiskars by any means, but I have to say I'm not convinced you gave the X27 a fair shake. I cut all kinds of wood, anywhere from dinky little 4" trees up to probably 36", and with all kinds of knots, crotches, etc. and I RARELY have to pull out my sledge & wedge on anything to get it split. Usually only soft, squishy wood with knots in it requires a wedge. I have to question your ability to split by hand if you can't "make a dent" in a round with a razor sharp piece of steel in your hands. If you usually split with a plain ol' maul, your technique with a Fiskars may need an adjustment before you discount it's ability and toss it aside. Just my $0.02, take it or leave it. I will admit that Husky splitter you posted does look nice, nicer than a black plastic handle.

Yep, and on ash at that. Among the easiest splitting woods

I'm not talking fresh cut green ash. This stuff has been standing for 4 to 6 years and is as dry as dry can be. Most is from 10' to 28" in dia.

Saw a TV ad the other day for a DR rapid split. I would not bother to bend over to pick that sissy stuff up to put on a splitter.
Could just leave it on it's side and one good whack with the husky would split it.

Yep, and on ash at that. Among the easiest splitting woods
Not always an easy splitting wood.If it grew in the woods a ways and the wind didn't go to work on it too much it will probably split easy.If it grew on the edge of the woods or out in the open and the wind twisted it some then it's a different story.Pretty much true of most hard woods really.

Not always an easy splitting wood.If it grew in the woods a ways and the wind didn't go to work on it too much it will probably split easy.If it grew on the edge of the woods or out in the open and the wind twisted it some then it's a different story.Pretty much true of most hard woods really.
You got it.

I have cut a decent amount of ash that grew on lake shore. It usually reached out over the water so the base was significantly heavier on the lake side. The trunk grain often twists as it grows too making it much more difficult to split.

This post reminds me of an old maul I used to use it was called the Monster Maul, the head weight was 12 lbs. plus the metal handle total weight was 15 lbs.

I still have the thing but I don't use it anymore or any other maul for that matter ... I got a liking for splitting machines in my old age...

This post reminds me of an old maul I used to use it was called the Monster Maul, the head weight was 12 lbs. plus the metal handle total weight was 15 lbs.

I still have the thing but I don't use it anymore or any other maul for that matter ... I got a liking for splitting machines in my old age...
I only think one thing when I see those...pain!

I had one of those and recently sold it for $5.00 to a much younger guy.

I had one of those and recently sold it for $5.00 to a much younger guy.
A couple weeks ago I had a friend helping me cut up some big pine I had taken down last summer ...We needed a maul cause some of it was froze in a little we grabbed that thing, I made about two or three swings and passed it to my buddy and said your gonna have to do this..haha

Seems by the time I was twelve, I learned that what breaks ax handles is not being able to hit the same spot twice, and overshooting the block and hitting on the handle. The last thing I would want to do with a steel handle is overshoot the block and hit the handle. I can see it ripping both thumbs off and breaking your chin and half your teeth. I'm also spoiled, growing up in a fourth generation tree business, I could cherry pick the best easy splitting Oak. Anything I didn't want to split we would wholesale out to a local farm market for $50 a dump truck load. He took and sold anything, and was on the home from most of our work, so if I was feeling lazy I just dropped him the truck load, Joe.

Latest posts

Back