Meteor 460 kit. I like a lot? A little porting help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last week I posted about my 460 bb kit raking some plating off the cylinder and trashing the cylinder and the new meteor 660 piston that I made a pop up out of. The loctite fix on the crank bearing didn't work either and the clutch side case was cracked around the bearing.

I got a new bottom end for a really great price from fastLeo151. I just got the meteor jug and pston kit from Baileys today and I really like the looks of it. The port timing numbers are very close to oem. The plating looks really nice and the ex port is far from free porting. Very very nice kit and I think it's perfect for porting.
The port #'s are Ex at 105 deg ATDC IN 106 deg ABDC and TR 129 deg ATDC I'm shooting for 99 deg on ex 97 deg on in and 115 on the transfers.
The intake port needs lowered .132" to get me to 97 deg and the exhaust is .138" from free porting. All the port #'s were without a base gasket and the piston is lightly slapping the squish band. How much would you cut from the squish band with these #'s? Would it be crazy to cut the squish band .080" and the base .060". That would give me .020" squish. The comp would be pretty high I'm guessing but I would be safe from free porting and still have to grind a little on the bottom of the in port. The ex and tr would need to be raised quite a bit also. I want this saw to rip but dont want to blow the bottom end out.

You can make around 200 PSI with only a .035 popup. No way would I consider cutting the squish band that much. More it's not always better. You're going to be doing a LOT of grinding getting those ports up where they need to be, a significant disadvantage of cutting the squish band when it's not needed. Do you have a means of raising the transfers? Those are way lower than ideal.

Last edited:
The ex has plenty to take from but the tranfers might be close. I wouldn't mind having 225psi

At 97° on the intake that would be 83° or 166° total duration right? I wouldn't go over 80° as it seems most just use more fuel when you get that much intake that I've tried. I would cut the base to get the intake to 80° and then cut the squish band to suit unless you're trying to hit a certain exhaust number.

Last edited:
I tried to cut the squish band last night in this meteor cylinder and it was a no go :bang:. I'm still new at this lathe operation. My carbide insert boring bar won't cut the squish band. I guess there's plating on it. This would be the first I couldn't cut. I even flipped the good insert. Guess I need a better insert. Help please.

Last edited:
Just to keep you guessing, I actually like more intake on a 460. As I'm sure you're figuring out, there's no single recipe. I like to keep my compression under 200, blow down short, and intake long on a 460. I also like to advance the ignition.

Just to keep you guessing, I actually like more intake on a 460. As I'm sure you're figuring out, there's no single recipe. I like to keep my compression under 200, blow down short, and intake long on a 460. I also like to advance the ignition.

Do you cut on the lathe Brad? I thought there was talk about you getting a lathe but wasn't sure if you ever got one?

I got it! That was freekin scary taking off that hard plating. A little more pressure,some oil and slow work got the squish cut a wopping .080":msp_ohmy: I like taking risks:rock: The base will get cut .058 next to get me a squish around .022. This is going to take some grinding to get the ports were I want them but it gets the intake pretty close to where I want it and the ex is safe from free porting. I guess I'll have to go back in and cut the combustion dome a little if the comp is to high. Here's a pic of that fat squish band.
IMAG0425_zps4b30805e.jpg

Thanks a bunch mdavlee,Brad and Randy! You guys rock:rock:
I got a log of all my port #'s I've used and cant wait to test my saws and my brothers saws on the dyno I should have done by now. Guy at the machine shop said he'd have the shaft I need for my dyno build done two weeks ago. I gave him one of my deer bolognas hoping that would speed the process. I hate to bug him but I'm gonna start bugin soon:msp_angry:

Looks good. I think it will run pretty good with those numbers. It may be a little tight if the compression gets too high.

Back