Meteor and highway cylinder kits for Stihl ms660???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG porting

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK I've have a good amount of experience with working on saws but not to much with aftermarket cylinders and pistons other than farmertec and I'm not happy with there cylinders for the stihl ms660 I know five or six years ago there were people saying go with meteor or oem but that was then this is now has there been any improvements om the highway cylinder or meteor cylinder for the ms660 ??? Please help me out with this one because I don't have a lot of cash flow and can't afford to buy any more cylinder kits so this will be the last cylinder kit I will be buying for a while. Thanks in advance for your time advice and help.

If you put a want ad in the trading post I bet you could get a nice used OEM jug for a reasonable price. Last I knew Stihl pistons were priced fairly well. For me, meteor pistons with caber rings have been equal in quality and performance to OEM. I've never tried their cylinders, I've always been able to clean up the stocker.

If you put a want ad in the trading post I bet you could get a nice used OEM jug for a reasonable price. Last I knew Stihl pistons were priced fairly well. For me, meteor pistons with caber rings have been equal in quality and performance to OEM. I've never tried their cylinders, I've always been able to clean up the stocker.
Yea that's a option but I was really hoping to get some input for the cylinders pistons are cheap anymore for factory ones like you said I'm not to worried about them. But if I don't get more people to jump in this topic I my do what you have said and just go plop a a want add for one thanks for the quick response.

Yea that's a option but I was really hoping to get some input for the cylinders pistons are cheap anymore for factory ones like you said I'm not to worried about them. But if I don't get more people to jump in this topic I my do what you have said and just go plop a a want add for one thanks for the quick response.
I would get a used OEM before a new AM

Hi
I’ve used both Meteor piston&stihl cylinder, as well as a full meteor cylinder& piston on an 066. Both worked well, but the Stihl cylinder is higher quality. That said the meteor was good, and a lot better than the Chinese copies. There’s nothing to choose between oem and meteor pistons. I would prefer to use Stihl cyl/Meteor piston, but if forced to buy new, would buy the meteor cylinder &piston. Hope this helps, and doesn’t add confusion!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I’ve used both Meteor piston&stihl cylinder, as well as a full meteor cylinder& piston on an 066. Both worked well, but the Stihl cylinder is higher quality. That said the meteor was good, and a lot better than the Chinese copies. There’s nothing to choose between oem and meteor pistons. I would prefer to use Stihl cyl/Meteor piston, but if forced to buy new, would buy the meteor cylinder &piston. Hope this helps, and doesn’t add confusion!!

No confusion that's the stuff I'm looking to here thank you. Problem I'm having is money and what I'm seeing so far looking around for a good used oem cylinder is that every one wants gold for them. Lol

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day. Which got me thinking, where do all the AM parts come from? Seems like most stuff comes from the same factory in china and then gets branded by several companies. Also how many people who have opinions on AM vs OEM have actually bought and ran both until their deaths? Kind of hard to have a real proven conclusion unless you've done that. If you're flipping saws or refurbishing, OEM sells better but sometimes AM is the way to go. Honesty is key either way. Oh and also, I'm willing to bet most saws die from other issues before the piston and cylinder give out. So maybe AM is the way to go..

Anyways this is all just speculation and thoughts. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death on here over the years.

I have good luck with a meteor MS440 cylinder,
75744b53f5b2b10cc391b00af0af89ef.jpg
6580da7f7269610a822b3b3335c96dc6.jpg
1e27de8c1a3bae9f3e828c0868d6860b.jpg
2e07cf3a35089a40ef4b7179ea50e05f.jpg
f0279c112490c87b654b379d359bc6f8.jpg

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day. Which got me thinking, where do all the AM parts come from? Seems like most stuff comes from the same factory in china and then gets branded by several companies. Also how many people who have opinions on AM vs OEM have actually bought and ran both until their deaths? Kind of hard to have a real proven conclusion unless you've done that. If you're flipping saws or refurbishing, OEM sells better but sometimes AM is the way to go. Honesty is key either way. Oh and also, I'm willing to bet most saws die from other issues before the piston and cylinder give out. So maybe AM is the way to go..

Anyways this is all just speculation and thoughts. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death on here over the years.
Yea i know that's why I was grinding my teeth when I was getting this topic up with all the threads on ms660 cylinders you can't get a good conclusion I was just hoping with so many people who have used the meteor cylinder kits for Stihl 066 and ms660 that may be they would have more insight on if there's been any improvements on the quality or not but like I said money is tight so I'm more less pushed to get a aftermarket cylinder but one thing is for sure I'm not going to be using the farmertec cylinder for the ms660 at least.
I have good luck with a meteor MS440 cylinder,
75744b53f5b2b10cc391b00af0af89ef.jpg
6580da7f7269610a822b3b3335c96dc6.jpg
1e27de8c1a3bae9f3e828c0868d6860b.jpg
2e07cf3a35089a40ef4b7179ea50e05f.jpg
f0279c112490c87b654b379d359bc6f8.jpg

That's not to bad if you ask me I've seen worse. Lol

Next month would be the best time frame for me and thanks I appreciate it
I’ve heard that both hyway and meteor make good stuff. But I have zero experience with them. I have a big bore hyway for a 372 I’m going to build. Also have a nwp on my Makita. I don’t run my saws for a living and so far the nwp is fine. My compression went down over stock, even with caber rings. I need to measure squish and adjust it.

I’ve heard that both hyway and meteor make good stuff. But I have zero experience with them. I have a big bore hyway for a 372 I’m going to build. Also have a nwp on my Makita. I don’t run my saws for a living and so far the nwp is fine. My compression went down over stock, even with caber rings. I need to measure squish and adjust it.
I thought about the NWP but not much good feedback on them for the 660 but good for others sizes.

Back