Mice in the woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If I put 3 pieces of wood together near the ground it seems mice move in within just a few hours (slight exaggeration). I seem to always get mice any one have any tips or tricks to keep them out? Can’t stand having mouse poop all over my wood pile.

Brought in about 5 loads of wood tonight and I think I came across 3 mice nests! I just knock them to the side and keep hauling. Nothing I worry about as long as they stay outside!

If I put 3 pieces of wood together near the ground it seems mice move in within just a few hours (slight exaggeration). I seem to always get mice any one have any tips or tricks to keep them out? Can’t stand having mouse poop all over my wood pile.
I've heard fabric dryer sheets. Dont know for sure but we're gonna try them in our vehicles we keep shedded. Mice dont bother them outside but when they're inside....look out!!

For years when we parked our application equipment, nurse, and tender trucks for the winter we threw half dozen moth balls on the floorboards to keep mice away. It seemed to work, but thats inside a closed up vehicle. Company wont let us do it now cause of the health risk of humans inhaling that stuff.

If you have no pets or desired animals to worry about antifreeze works wonders. Yes its a bit cruel but it works great on rats who dont put a second thought to how much it cost rewire a $200,000 spray rig.:monkey:

I have used (in cars) irish spring soap, moth balls, dryer sheets, and poison.
they all let me down!!!!
I now use 5 traps in every car with peanut butter and a little cheese and I will trap 4 to 9 mice in the late fall then nothing and in spring my car has no nests and poop to deal with.
wood pile .... I say traps or poison but with poison you run the risk of killing other critters.
antifreez I have never tried .
way I see it is mice are always looking for a place outside so you are fighting a loosing battle .

If interested in the antifreeze placing a small amount in a large lid that allows easy access for mice and rats while not providing enough to do much harm to a dog or cat is best the bet. As most people know most all mammals crave salt and sweets and antifreeze provides both.

Coke and Blue streak Fly bait (cover the bottom of pan with bait, just enough coke to cover). Be carefull though this stuff will kill anything that drinks it. A coon generally dies in the pan but never makes it more than 5 ft from it. Most effective legal concoction I know of, But BE CAREFUL IT KILLS EVERYTHING!

Not much of a mouse problem around here. LOL.

attachment.php

man...i had an all black cat just like those. what a holy terror he was! i could write 10 pages of quirks, trouble, mischief, broken items, late night attacks, prowling like a panther, attacking the dog, turing on lights....it was endless.

fortunately, for this household, when my son moved out, he took satan's son with him.

get a weasel..
Ah yes,my daughter's feret "stinky" was the worlds best mouser.He was like a souped up weasel
on steroids. Had he have been as large as a cat I do believe he would have been a match for a grizzley bear.A little bad azz was he.

Moth balls work pretty well in case you don't have a feret or weasel handy.One smells about as bad as the other.You don't have to feed mothballs if they don't catch mice.On the other hand ferets don't do much for moths in your clothing.

Try some PURE (100%) peppermint oil dribbled around your wood pile. I don't care if they're in my wood, I just hate starting the wife's lawn tractor in the spring and smelling ground up & burning flesh & hair!
This won't bother rats at all though!

Coke and Blue streak Fly bait (cover the bottom of pan with bait, just enough coke to cover). Be carefull though this stuff will kill anything that drinks it. A coon generally dies in the pan but never makes it more than 5 ft from it. Most effective legal concoction I know of, But BE CAREFUL IT KILLS EVERYTHING!

The fly bait works great. Around here it's called Golden Mulrin but it only works with classic Coke not diet or other colas. Beware this stuff could kill a horse.

My solution: let the neighbor's cats do it for me! I occasionally hook them up with a bit of catfood, too, to keep them coming around. It seems to be working - I only found one mouse nest in the 2 face cords I've burned or moved so far this year. I also put the garage door up when I get home, and they come over and police the garage, too.

Claire.jpg

Claire_Sugar.jpg

Careful with auto antifreeze

one teaspoon full of it will kill a small dog.. Most horrible way to ever watch your pet die too. Shuts down their kidneys...

Fly bait and antifreeze

Putting either one down for its nonintended purpose is totally illegal, and if you get caught can get you into alot of trouble if a neighbors pet were to come across it.

I have found that glue boards work best for me with a small piece of broccoli in the middle. Not to big of a piece. For the wood rats I shingle nail the board to a piece of 2x6 about 24 inchs long otherwise they roll around with it and it is a real mess.

Latest posts

Back