Mice in the woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
osage balls

My grandfather used to use Osage Orange balls a.k.a. hedge apples, monkey balls (you've seen them Grapefruit size bright green balls from Osage trees) to keep mice out of his trucks and equipment. He'd cut one in half and stick it under the seat. seemed to work as far as i can recall. maybe try a few by the woodpile?? :monkey: did someone say monkey balls!

Just a comment about the "Blue streak". It will kill anything,including humans so be darned carefull if you use the stuff.

I'm plagued with chipmonks myself,tried everything I could think of.Aha says I ,genius of the cornfield,a little Decon might work. I must have fed those little rascals a bushel of it. No dead chipmonks,seems they multiplied or something.

Well,chipmonks being chipmonks kind of hid their goodies in various places.One of them was the breather of my wifes Cadillac.Luckily Decon won't kill an automobile.

I'm kind of thinking I wish old Stinky the feret was still among us because I have a little task he would have been more than happy to do.

Just a comment about the "Blue streak". It will kill anything,including humans so be darned carefull if you use the stuff.

Your right Al, probably shouldn't have mentioned it, Like my original warning said it will kill anything (including humans).

Actually that is an old poultry farm trick we use for rodents in the barn and around the bird pens. Always extremely cautious where its put, and never left out during the day. Neighbors and Neighbors pets are not a concern here as closest neighbor is a half mile away. They'd be shot if they were in the area where poison is out anyway so.....

I'm plagued with chipmonks myself,tried everything I could think of.Aha says I ,genius of the cornfield,a little Decon might work. I must have fed those little rascals a bushel of it. No dead chipmonks,seems they multiplied or something.

Well,chipmonks being chipmonks kind of hid their goodies in various places.One of them was the breather of my wifes Cadillac.Luckily Decon won't kill an automobile.

I'm kind of thinking I wish old Stinky the feret was still among us because I have a little task he would have been more than happy to do.

I cover the air intake on all our vehicles with a small piece of screen door material and secure with duct tape or rubber bands. I had a mouse chew through the air filter in my truck and build a nest with the fuzz.

Glue traps. Good for more than one mouse too! I once caught 4 in 1 glue trap.

I cover the air intake on all our vehicles with a small piece of screen door material and secure with duct tape or rubber bands. I had a mouse chew through the air filter in my truck and build a nest with the fuzz.
Oh I could tell rodent stories 'till the cows come home.Here's another.

In a former life with a former wife I used to park my dozers under an open metal roof shed.In the spring when I fired up that old D4 Cat it would blow out walnuts like machine gun rounds and ricocet them off the roof.I ran for my life.It seems the squirrels thought the exhaust stack was a dandy place to store nuts for some reason or another.

When you go to move your wood pile just have my dogs around they will cleanly and swiftly dispatch any mice or rats that happen to pop out :hmm3grin2orange:

mice = BTU's...what's the problem?
Mice equals protien,ask your favorite cat.So,what the diff between a mouse and a rabbit,other that the size.Ponder that mind bender for a short time.Ah,mouse ala king,what a treat,not to be confused with rat atta toui,on toast.Yum.

Usually, you can free cats from your local paper.
Just get 1 or 2 cats for a week or so to rid the mice,
when the mice are gone,
sell the cats to a local Chinese restaraunt.

You win both ways !!!

:cheers:

Oh I could tell rodent stories 'till the cows come home.Here's another.

In a former life with a former wife I used to park my dozers under an open metal roof shed.In the spring when I fired up that old D4 Cat it would blow out walnuts like machine gun rounds and ricocet them off the roof.I ran for my life.It seems the squirrels thought the exhaust stack was a dandy place to store nuts for some reason or another.

I had the same thing happen once but it was with my street bike.....was shooting kibble a good 15 ft behind the bike when I'd gas it.....:)

Mice equals protien,ask your favorite cat.So,what the diff between a mouse and a rabbit,other that the size.Ponder that mind bender for a short time.Ah,mouse ala king,what a treat,not to be confused with rat atta toui,on toast.Yum.

i don't care who you are, that is some funny stuff!!!!

One of these traps will take care of many mice. Bait with peanut butter. Have the dowel/stick next to something the mice can climb up on, center the bottle over the bucket Dump out the water and refill before the drowned mice start to stink.

I've taken 15 mice out in one night in a barn using one of these. None of them got to the peanut butter before the bottle spun and they got dumped into the water. I keep two in my basement.

:cheers: :hmm3grin2orange:

I had a guy who was a pipefitter up around Gary Indiana tell me that they would use the set-up below to kill dozens of rats every night. I think he said they would wet everything down good and leave some lunch left overs on top of metal plate. Anyway might give you welders a idea. But I guess all animals would be at risk here too.

attachment.php

One of these traps will take care of many mice. Bait with peanut butter. Have the dowel/stick next to something the mice can climb up on, center the bottle over the bucket Dump out the water and refill before the drowned mice start to stink.
:cheers: :hmm3grin2orange:

That's pretty good. I'm gonna build one tomorrow. Where are ya puttin' the bait?

Mike

That's pretty good. I'm gonna build one tomorrow. Where are ya puttin' the bait?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Use a 1-L plastic gatoraid or juice bottle. Drill holes (3/8-7/16 works well) dead center in the cap and the bottom. Get a dowel or straight stick just undersize of the holes, it needs to spin freely. Put about a gallon and a half of water in the 5-gal bucket. Smear a couple of dabs of peanut butter on the middle of the bottle 180 degrees apart, about the same amount so you can have the bait "balance the bottle". Center the bottle over the bucket. To let the mice get to the stick/dowel I put a 2 X 4 from the ground/floor to the edge of the bucket. Alternatively, you can put the bucket next to a pile of wood and rest one end of the dowel/stick on the woodpile (I do this on a pile of stacked stickered lumber I have in my barn).

I just checked the one I have in my barn, 4 mice , but the water is frozen as we've had cold weather.

Happy trapping!!!!

Hi Mike,

Use a 1-L plastic gatoraid or juice bottle. Drill holes (3/8-7/16 works well) dead center in the cap and the bottom. Get a dowel or straight stick just undersize of the holes, it needs to spin freely. Put about a gallon and a half of water in the 5-gal bucket. Smear a couple of dabs of peanut butter on the middle of the bottle 180 degrees apart, about the same amount so you can have the bait "balance the bottle". Center the bottle over the bucket. To let the mice get to the stick/dowel I put a 2 X 4 from the ground/floor to the edge of the bucket. Alternatively, you can put the bucket next to a pile of wood and rest one end of the dowel/stick on the woodpile (I do this on a pile of stacked stickered lumber I have in my barn).

I just checked the one I have in my barn, 4 mice , but the water is frozen as we've had cold weather.

Happy trapping!!!!

To solve this problem,
all you have to do is add antifreeze to the water !!!

Works great !!!

To solve this problem,
all you have to do is add antifreeze to the water !!!

Works great !!!

I know but a dog has access to the barn too,and I don't have any of the newer non-toxic antifreeze.

A friend uses drain motor oil and just dumps the mice into a big recycle barrel with the rest of the oil. In this case the mice don't decompose (stink) either as they sink and the oil preserves them. He's had dozens caught in his barn before he does an "oil change".

Wonder what the recycler thinks when he empties those barrels.......

Latest posts

Back