MidWest SawFest IA MO spring GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that want to know...
116si
makita 9010
dolmar 9010
makita 9010
dolmar 7900
dolmar 166
poulan 6000s (dolmar 152/153 in green)
makita 6800i

there's a large jred 111s in the back but this was supposed to be a dolly log?!?! ;)

Hopefully next year we can have more... I'd like to get all the Dolmar colors in one log including Mark H's yellow dolly-mac 166 and a silver 112/119...

what size saw?
084 stihl with 404 skip

And let me clarify... it bound up the 084 and slowed it down but didn't bring it to a complete stop. I ran the 084 in several long cuts shortly there after. It was a PITA to remove all the strings later from the clutch drum to get that bearing back to struggle.

I'm sure there will be different results depending on saw size/power and chain type but i usually don't put chaps on until I hit the 28" bar size...

I did not see the chaps test, what was the outcome?

Mark
The chaps won IMO.

These were older chaps (1985?) made to earlier standards - which is why I had limited confidence in them.

They stalled out the 40v saw without penetration, even though they are not rated for electric saws.

Then they stalled out Mark Lam's (screen name?) Husky 460 Rancher, running an 18 inch, 3/8" pitch bar, just piercing the inner layer.

Then, Nstueve blipped it, near the cuff, with his saw.

All on the same leg, and after the other fiber loss. So this was more of a demonstration than a controlled test. As Nstueve suggests, the chaps should be rated for the saw used (and maybe newer than 30 years old?)

One observer noted that a hard log is different than a soft leg, which probably would affect how deeply a chain would penetrate through the chaps.

As I cleaned the seized nose sprockets on the first two saws: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nose-sprocket-rescue-illustrated.256640/
I realized that the jamming of the bar sprocket likely helps to stall the saw out, whereas, a hardnose bar would not. So there may actually be a small, additional margin of safety when running sprocket nose bars (with chaps).

Philbert

Hey I ended up with a 1/2 inch drive craftsman ratchet and impact socket in the trailer when I got home. Think it came out of the tool box at the farm. If someone can pm me the mailing address I'll get it shipped to its home.

Thanks

Hey I ended up with a 1/2 inch drive craftsman ratchet and impact socket in the trailer when I got home. Think it came out of the tool box at the farm. If someone can pm me the mailing address I'll get it shipped to its home.

Thanks
i was goin to post i was missin that.
thanks.
mark hoskey
3507 v ave chelsea,ia 52215

Back